Dimaggio/Mantle Autograped balls ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimaggio/Mantle Autograped balls ???

My buddy at work is selling a couple of balls from his collection. Anybody tell if these are the real deal??
    Thanks in advance
    DAVE

Joe Dimaggio American league ball Gene A Budig

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...O/DSC_0858.jpg

Micky Mantle American league ball Bobby Brown

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...O/DSC_0865.jpg

I have a DiMaggio auto. Yours looks similar but there are enough differences that I would get it checked by a pro. The one you have the bottom part of the J seems big and sloppy. The Di also seems sloppy. The auto I have is very clear and easily distinguished. Look at some pictures of his auto online and you may see some of the differences I am talking about. Yours might be fine. I just haven't really seen any quite like that.
    I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
    Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

In a case like this where you're going to sell VERY high dollar signed baseballs at auction, IMO it's best to get these certified by a company like PSA/DNA. Google them. They're a somewhat expensive autograph authentification firm, but in a situation like this, go to them for your COA.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
        In a case like this where you're going to sell VERY high dollar signed baseballs at auction, IMO it's best to get these certified by a company like PSA/DNA. Google them. They're a somewhat expensive autograph authentification firm, but in a situation like this, go to them for your COA.
        I would get a pro to do it as well. Mine was done JSA.
        I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
        Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Thanks for the quick posts guys. I am not planning on selling but would get PSA to do the COA. I just don't want to send them a fake and lose the high dollar fees. They look real to me and they would be coming from a honest collector/friend. Just looking for the boards opinion??

Thanks Again
          DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by FLATSDOMINO View Post
            Thanks for the quick posts guys. I am not planning on selling but would get PSA to do the COA. I just don't want to send them a fake and lose the high dollar fees. They look real to me and they would be coming from a honest collector/friend. Just looking for the boards opinion??

Thanks Again
            DAVE
            In my opinion they both look good. I have a DiMaggio ball that looks just like that, I got it signed in person in 1995. That's what his signature looked like toward the end of his life. A little more rushed than the older signatures.

The Mantle also looks good to me. I'm familiar with the signature of the most prevelant Mantle forger and it doesn't look like the typical fakes I've seen.

I'm not an expert on autographs but I have studied Mantle and Dimaggio quite a bit. If you're getting them from a trusted friend that would be good enough for me.

Scott
            I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Dimaggio ruled a fake by Psa AND GAI Looked good to me but what do I know..

DAVE

Comment

Dimaggio ruled a fake by Psa AND GAI Looked good to me but what do I know..

DAVE
                Geez, that was a quick turnaround for you to get them back from PSA & GAI.
                If the Dimag is a fake, what else are you supposed to do? You can throw it out. (It's not real, so who cares, no value lost)) I'd chuck it. That's my two cents.
                Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Those where the quick opinions. I cant see sending it in and losing $100 bucks

Comment

The "quick opinions" can be and have been wrong. You're FAR better off sending it in. What if Joe D's pen slipped? What if he randomly changed a letter? As opposed to merely minutes devoted to examining your ball, hours will be given to it. Also, you're implying the Mantle ball was real (you've not told is it's fake) and from the same dealer is telling.

I've seen real Albert Pujols autos coming back as fake (it's such a chronic problem with him/Pujols signs his sig so inconsistently that his cousin actually started up a company devoted to authenticating Pujols autographs only). JSA's "quick opinion" on the autograph that Sandy Koufax signed in person for Dad in 1958 was that it was a fake (on further inspection, when I sent it in, it was found to be authentic, of course...although PSA/DNA's quick opinion was that it was the real deal and I've gone with them ever since; your milage may vary). Why? Because Sandy rarely formed the letter "S" like he did in this particular signature. The advantage to sending in is that opposed to looking at/comparing with ONE signature by one or two guys, your ball will be compared to many signatures by several guys.
                    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I cant see sending it in and losing $100 bucks
                      We aren't the experts here. We are just giving our direct opinions on it. In order to be 100% sure if what you have is the real deal or not, send the balls in, or you'll never really know.
                      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Mantle came back good. The Dimaggio was looked at twice with same result. I know they cant be right all the time but I am sure they do the best they can.

Thanks for your help
                        DAVE

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X