The right pen/marker for autographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right pen/marker for autographs

Here's what I use. For cards, pictures, natural bats, and other miscellaneous items, I always use Sharpie markers. I've never had any problems with them smudging or fading over time as long as the marker is fresh.

Sharpie

For Rawlings Official Major League Baseballs, I always use blue Bic pens. Again, I have never had a problem with bleeding or fading thus far with these pens.

Bic Pens

I want to know what people would recommend using on a black bat, jersey, hat or helmet. I have seen items signed with silver paint pens, does anyone have a brand or model that they feel any loyalty towards? I'd hate to get an item signed with a poor quality writing device and have the item ruined.

Also, Rawlings Minor League baseballs, unlike major league baseballs, are made of synthetics instead of real leather, and a Bic pen will bleed over time. My hunch is that a Sharpie or other felt pen might last longer on a minor league ball, but I have never tested this.

Any input on what you use to get your items signed would be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic
    Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

I have a black bat signed in silver sharpie. That works well.
    I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
    Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

I agree with the above post. It would probably be best with a silver sharpie.
      Quest for 27
      Winners make goals, losers make excuses.

Comment

I too have used silver Sharpies on bats. Works great.

I highly recommend Staedtler medium point pens for glossy cards. They don't smear at all. (blue looks better than black) Most art stores carry them.
        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Black Sharpies have always been the standard I was taught, they seem to always have worked the best.
          Baseball cards, sports cards & My Baseball Card Space website are my favorite hobbies.

Comment

Are the Staedtler medium point pens what card companies have their auto cards signed in, both the sticker types and the ones straight to the cards? It sounds like it might be it, and that was what I was looking for, but hadn't gotten around to starting a thread to ask about it. So....thanks for that
            sigpic
            **********Stay True to the Blue**********

Comment

Oh, and what is recommended for older cardboard stock cards of the 90's and 80's? It seems the felt tips like the sharpies would bleed rather well over time. Again, would the Staedtler medium point pens be recommended here too?

Not to sound begging, but could someone respond rather soon to my two questions, since I wanted to get a pen tomorrow before going to an AAA Indianapolis Indians game Wednesday.
              sigpic
              **********Stay True to the Blue**********

Comment

Originally posted by Swankee21 View Post
                Are the Staedtler medium point pens what card companies have their auto cards signed in, both the sticker types and the ones straight to the cards? It sounds like it might be it, and that was what I was looking for, but hadn't gotten around to starting a thread to ask about it. So....thanks for that
                Yeah, pretty sure that's what Upperdeck uses anyway. I need to get a new scanner, but once I do I'll start throwing some photos up there.
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X