No announcement yet.

odd request...cal ripken jr. card info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd request...cal ripken jr. card info?

ok, this may be a shot in the dark, i visited a friend over the weekend, and we got to talking about baseball card collections, and he brought his out, and showed me a cal ripken card, which is designed to look like a credit card, and my best recollection of it, was that it was a shot of him batting, from behind, and of course, had his name on the card, as if it were his own credit card...i just found it to be a unique card, and i wouldn't mind getting my hands on one, although i've searched on google, as well as ebay, with no luck, if anyone has any leads, that would be great, as my search hasn't even gotten warm yet...i would just ask him, but he is currently out of town, for work..so i figured i would get a quicker response on here, thanks in advance...
    -Jason-

sounds like a 1995 Studio card--- there are regular (silver card stock) and gold (plastic) versions, not that expensive and fairly plentiful- nice looking set

Comment

Originally posted by shoreyart View Post
      sounds like a 1995 Studio card--- there are regular (silver card stock) and gold (plastic) versions, not that expensive and fairly plentiful- nice looking set
      its almost exactly like that, same layout and all, other than having his name (i believe) stamped down at the bottom, as would be an actual credit card, and the actual image on the front of the card was of him batting, but thanks, that puts me on a good start, as i could come up with nothing last night, and i may just scoop of one of his singles from this series of cards, and leave it at that. thanks again. and if anyone else has any more clues on the specific card i was talking about, that'd be great also.
      -Jason-

Comment

Is this it?
        http://cgi.ebay.com/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-CL...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by sdime98 View Post
          its almost exactly like that, same layout and all, other than having his name (i believe) stamped down at the bottom, as would be an actual credit card, and the actual image on the front of the card was of him batting, but thanks, that puts me on a good start, as i could come up with nothing last night, and i may just scoop of one of his singles from this series of cards, and leave it at that. thanks again. and if anyone else has any more clues on the specific card i was talking about, that'd be great also.
          So it's not like this?
          Attached Files
          Visit My Blog
          Projects:
          1994 Topps Finest - Autographed set - Don't expect the whole set but I want as many as I can get.

Comment

Somebody produced a card in the early 80's that closely resembled a credit card. Pre-Ripken, I'm pretty sure, though.

I remember trying to find them for a while when I started collecting Carl Yastrzemski, but they were extremely hard to get not too long after they were produced.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

"Somebody produced a card in the early 80's that closely resembled a credit card. Pre-Ripken, I'm pretty sure, though."

Was it the 82 and 83 PermaGraphics Issue?

No Ripken though.

I'll bet it was 95 Studio.
              Collecting Nellie Fox and all Chicago White Sox cards
              My Fox Cards
              http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...20Fox%20Cards/
              My White Sox Page
              http://www.freewebs.com/gosox55

Comment

Originally posted by gosox55 View Post
                "Somebody produced a card in the early 80's that closely resembled a credit card. Pre-Ripken, I'm pretty sure, though."

Was it the 82 and 83 PermaGraphics Issue?

No Ripken though.

I'll bet it was 95 Studio.
                It's possible. My recollection is vague at best, but the years seem to be about right. Thanks for a starting point on what is now a growing curiosity.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I still says it's this 1996 Classic card. It fits his description quite well.

"designed to look like a credit card, and my best recollection of it, was that it was a shot of him batting, from behind, and of course, had his name on the card, as if it were his own credit card."
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think the word you're looking for here is "phone card", not credit card.
                    Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X