Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite baseball card that you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put this post in another section and just saw this thread. Thought it was more appropriate here.

I collect anything, but I really like cards to go with baseball history. It's not really about the money although that's always nice. I always wanted to have at least one Topps card since 1951.

Here is a list of some of my favorites before 1980
    T-206 Fred Tenney (Fred Merkle replaced him at first base in the NY Giants lineup in 1910)
    1940 Buddy Hassett (For a long time it was my oldest card)
    1953 Phil Rizzuto, Monte Irvin
    1954 Ted Kluszewski
    1959 Whammy Douglas (Nice name)
    1960 Bill Mazeroski, Earl Wilson
    1961 Joey Jay
    1963 Bob Uecker
    1964 Lou Brock and Ernie Broglio (before the trade)
    1965 WS card from 1964 game 7 with Bob Gibson, Zoilo Versalles
    1966 Frank Robinson (Orioles card in Reds uniform), Tony Perez, Joe Morgan
    1967 Bob Gibson, Orlando Cepeda, Tony Oliva (I have HOFers from this set)
    1968 Mickey Mantle (It's my only card of his while he was playing ... I traded a 1972 Steve Garvey for it)
    1969 Hank and Tommie Aaron. Pretty ugly set thanks to expansion.
    1970 Boog Powell, Ted Williams
    1971 (Anything from this set ... this is the first year I collected cards ... I know it's not really that popular, but it was the first year action was used on player cards .... two favorites Oscar Gamble and Casey Cox ... I also like Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo and George Foster)
    1972 Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan (My oldest of his ... out of a pack)
    1973 Roberto Clemente
    1974 Dave Winfield, Mike Schmidt, Dave Concepcion
    1975 George Brett, Fred Lynn, Robin Yount
    1976 I completed this set last year (needed 15 cards)
    1977 Mark Fidrych, Rusty Staub, Rob Carew and oh those ugly Blue Jays and Mariners cards.
    1978 Another set I'm close to completing (don't know haven't worked on it lately)
    1979 Johnny Bench
    1980 Bought this set for $10 that year.

It's tough for me to pick one, but I would guess the 1968 Mantle because that was a big trade for me at the time.

Comment

When I was a kid, my grandfather gave me an autographed 1960 Warren Spahn, with an autographed ball. I would have to say that it is my favorite, more because it came from my grandfather than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
        It's a tie between these three.

OK, maybe not the Gwynn. :cap:
        I think I read it in an old issue of Beckett, but Gwynn said that the '83 Topps is his least favorite card of him.
        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

My joba chamberlain rookie card

Comment

1971 Nate Colbert. My love of the Padres in childhood is a long, long story. I was just falling in love with baseball in 1971.
            Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Capatain Cold Nose, the little disorganized card shop in Frankenmuth Michigan wouldn't bya ny chance have been called "Scott's Stuff" would it have been? In the back of a knick-knack shop? Do tell.

My favorite card that I own is 1987 Topps Dave Stapleton. If you want to know why, you'll have to ask. Second fave is 1965 Pete Rose.
              smoker

Comment

Either my 1961 Yaz rookie card, or my 1941 Play Ball Bobby Doerr.
                "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

This one isn't really a card, but Mcihael Bowden personalized a printout photo to me.
                  Trusted traders list-
                  Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by riverfrontier View Post
                    Capatain Cold Nose, the little disorganized card shop in Frankenmuth Michigan wouldn't bya ny chance have been called "Scott's Stuff" would it have been? In the back of a knick-knack shop? Do tell.

My favorite card that I own is 1987 Topps Dave Stapleton. If you want to know why, you'll have to ask. Second fave is 1965 Pete Rose.
                    It absolutely was Scott's Stuff, riverfrontier. I watched that place grow from a disorganized little corner of that store over the years in subsequent visits to Michigan's most famous tourist trap. Part of the fun of visiting there.

I do believe they moved from that store to the Old School House Mall. It's been a few years since I've been there.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Wow, small world. I've been in that place many times. We'd visit people in Saginaw, and my mom would drop my brother and I off while she and her friends puttered around Frankenmuth. We'd sit and bother Scott to show us all these expensive cards that we couldn't afford, then buy a couple dollars worth of commons and minor stars that we needed to complete sets. He was always cool, though. I did spend a lot more later there, so he did make some money from me.

The idea of Frankenmuth still makes me laugh. There are billboards on I-75 miles and miles away advertising Bronner's Christmas House (Haus). Pure kitsch.
                      smoker

Comment

1983 Fleer Tony Gwynn (PSA 10)

Comment

T-206 Cobb-bat on shoulder
                          T-206 Cobb-bat off shoulder
                          Allen & Ginter Tim Keefe
                          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                            T-206 Cobb-bat on shoulder
                            T-206 Cobb-bat off shoulder
                            Allen & Ginter Tim Keefe
                            Awesome stuff!
                            I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Tough question. I've acquired only cards that were favorites at the time. If I had to choose...

E93 Wagner or E95 Cobb

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X