Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for collectors of cards with jersey swatches on them....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for collectors of cards with jersey swatches on them....

If you collect jersey cards, does it matter to you what the swatch looks like?

Since I collect Yankees, I not only dont want a dull gray road jersey, I only collect cards that have a pinstripe in the swatch. If it doesnt have a pinstripe, i dont want it. Now then, on cards with multiple swatches, whether its of multiple players or multiple swatches of the same player, i am satisfied as long as one of the swatches have a pinstripe, they dont all have to have one, but if none of them do, i dont want that card.

I also prefer to get just a plain square or circle swatch, i hate when they do things like put the swatches in the shape of letters or numbers, but usually i would still take it as long as its got that pinstripe even though i think its jerky.

Does any of this make a difference to anyone else?
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

It's never really mattered to me. While I don't actively collect jersey cards (autographs are my area of collecting), I do get plenty via pack pulls and I do enjoy them. I've actually gotten FOUR jersey cards of Chipper Jones. I find it pretty neat that I have two home and two away. For me, a pinstripe with a Yankees (or Mets, or Phillies, or Twins) player is merely a bonus.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigyankeeman:
      i hate when they do things like put the swatches in the shape of letters or numbers

I agree. The relic piece is supposed to be the focal point, and making it "cutesy" by having the window be in the shape of a letter or number (or even a star) is un-necessary. A square or circle is all that you need.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I like to collect these jersey relic cards. As a personal preference, I don't care what color, size, or shape it's in. Yeah it's often that some of the swatches are dull gray, but that's what ya get. To date, I have a total of 25 jersey/pant relic cards, only one of which has a pinstripe. It's a good thing that there's no bloody sock/corked bat relic cards in circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
          If you collect jersey cards, does it matter to you what the swatch looks like?
          Not to me. BTW, did Derek Jeter ever wear a Red jersey at any time? Possibly during an All-Star game... I have a Jeter jsy card, but the swatch is red. I'm thinking its a screwup by Upper Deck.
          My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

i have yet to pull a jersey card, so id be happy with whatever it is...

Comment

I only collect Yankee jersey cards, any others that i pull i give to friends, but i have only pulled one Yankee jersey card out of a pack, and it had a dull gray road uniform patch in the shape of a G, for Goudey, and its of Jorge Posada. I dont even keep it in my jersey card collection, i keep it with the Goudeys as I call my jersey collection "The Pinstripe Collection".

I have been buying jersey cards with pinstripes both off Ebay and in a local card shop, so far i have 27 (all different Yankee players, i try not to duplicate a player, i want to ultimately get as many different players as i can with a pinstripe jersey). I guess I seem to be the only one who cares about the pinstripe.

Now, if i could get cards of guys like Ruth or Gehrig, i would take them without the stripe, although i would prefer a stripe, but so far i have not been willing to spend the money those cards are selling for.

As to the question above about Jeter and the red color, I do believe thats from the allstar game.
              Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM. Reason: added about Jeter
              I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                Not to me. BTW, did Derek Jeter ever wear a Red jersey at any time? Possibly during an All-Star game... I have a Jeter jsy card, but the swatch is red. I'm thinking its a screwup by Upper Deck.
                I have a similar card... a Mariano Rivera jersey card that is all dark blue. I believe it is an All-Star game batting practice jersey card.
                sigpic
                Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
                  As to the question above about Jeter and the red color, I do believe thats from the allstar game.
                  Thanks for the reply. I thought that was where it was from but wasn't 100% sure.
                  My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                    Thanks for the reply. I thought that was where it was from but wasn't 100% sure.
                    Did they wear red jerseys when the game was in Boston a few years ago? Wouldn't that be horrible? A Jeter card with a jersey from Boston. hmm.
                    I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
                    Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X