dmbfan's trivia contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmbfan's trivia contest

So, I need to say that Mike D. gave me the inspiration for this. I have several extra autographs in my collection and simply want to find them happy homes. As a result, here is what I will be doing periodically: I will post a baseball trivia question here and the first person with the correct answer wins. It's that simple. Each question will list what the prize is. Everything will be sent in a plain white envelope (PWE) and I make no guarantees of how the item will arrive. I will do my best to describe the item. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. So with all of that said, let the fun begin.

The first question is thanks to kearns643 and the prize is a 4x6 photo that I made up of Mets' manager Jerry Manuel that was signed TTM this season.

Question: On August 6th, 1985, this player joined other players throughout baseball in goin on strike. The strike lasted only two days but featured this player as the first player to go on strike against his father, who was a co-owner of a MLB team. Name the father (owner) and son (player).

Dale Berra?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
      Dale Berra?
      Nice guess but incorrect. Yogi Berra was a manager and not an owner.

Comment

Boston Red Sox

Marc Sullivan (C) is Player
        Haywood Sullivan is Co-Owner
        Where Players Become Legends
        1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 49
        26 World Championships
        1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950
        1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000

Trusted Traders: Rockhound, Mike D., ttmman21, Dalkowski110, Extra Innings

Comment

Originally posted by kidcavalier23 View Post
          Boston Red Sox

Marc Sullivan (C) is Player
          Haywood Sullivan is Co-Owner
          Congratulations to our first winner. Please PM me your address and I'll get this out to you.

Everyone else, please be on the lookout for our next giveaway.

Comment

Originally posted by topherkris
            GOOD ONE! haha, i dont like trivia because its always just google.
            Not necessarily on this site.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Sorry that I went MIA on this thread. But, the good news is that we are back at it. Today I have two different "contests" with two different "prizes".

Here's the first: I have two seperate 4x6 photos that I made, one each of Jim Lefebvre and Jim Perry. Both are unsigned but both sign freely TTM, so these will be great to get signed (I already have them signed by each). First person to send me their address via PM will get them free. That's it.

Here's the second: Prize is a 1989 Pacific Baseball Legends signed card of Frank Thomas (played 1951-1966) pictured in a Milwaukee Braves uniform signed in black Sharpie. First person to answer this question (which is one of my all-time favorite questions) correctly, wins the card.

Question: The Braves moved from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta. Only one player in their history played at least one game for the Braves when they called each of these cities home. Name the player.

Comment

Eddie Mathews?

Comment

Hank Aaron?
                  sigpic
                  Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
                  Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

Originally posted by Rockhound View Post
                    Eddie Mathews?
                    Wow. Very nice. You would be correct. During his 17-year HOF career, he spent 15 years with the Braves - 1 with the Boston Braves, 13 with the Milwaukee Braves, and 1 with the Atlanta Braves, before playing breifly with the Houston Astros and Detroit Tigers.

Please PM me your address and I will put your prize in the mail.

Everyone else, please be on the lookout for other trivia contests.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Hank Aaron?
                      A very popular guess, but Aaron came up with the Braves in 1954 a year after their move to Milwaukee.

Comment

COOL! Thanks Tim, PM sent.

Comment

Okay, here's the next trivia contest: The prize is a signed Bob Skinner 1990 Swell Baseball Greats signed in blue Sharpie which pictures Mr. Skinner in a Phillies uniform. He signed this TTM.

Here's the question: Bob and Joel Skinner are the second father-son pair to play and manage in the Major Leagues. Name the first father-son pair to accomplish this.

Also, the unsigned photos are still available if anyone wants them.

Comment

Earle and Connie Mack iirc

Comment

You would be correct. I actually found the second father-son pair to accomplish this (Sislers, George & Dick), so the Skinners are the third father-son pair to accomplish this. Please send a PM with your address and I will get it out to you on Monday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X