USPS to ban clasp envelopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS to ban clasp envelopes?

My wife, who usually mails my 8 x 10s for me had a little "incidemt" at the postoffice yesterday. When she was sealing the envelopes, the clasp cut her finger a little. Mail clerk told her they wanted people to stop using those type of envelopes completely, and in fact if one of their personnel was handling the envelope and got hurt, they would bill the sender..(you or me)…for that clerk’s ER visit to get treated, and it would be considered sending hazardous material through the mail. He said too many of their folks were getting cut on clasp envelopes.

Has anybody HEARD of this????????
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

It's news to me. What's next, billing the sender if someone gets a paper cut?

On the other hand, it's always a good idea to put some tape over the clasp part of the envelope to prevent situations like this.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. What's next? If I send a box that weighs ten pounds to someone and the clerk drops it on his toe and breaks his toe, am I responsible for that? Maybe I should start charging the USPS for the time that I spend waiting in line. That sounds like something that would work.

Comment

I always tape the clasp because I could see it somehow getting opened and the pics falling out so I guess I don't have to worry about it, but I don't know anyone who doesn't tape the clasp for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
          Has anybody HEARD of this????????
          Mailed my son's school photos to various family members out of state yesterday. Postal clerk didn't say a word to me about this.

Originally posted by frstbasmn13 View Post
          I always tape the clasp because I could see it somehow getting opened and the pics falling out so I guess I don't have to worry about it, but I don't know anyone who doesn't tape the clasp for that reason.
          Like you I also tape the clasp. Prevents loss, and cuts.
          Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

SDL, that could be a local regulation. Through my dealings with the local post office, I found that an individual office will come up with whatever regs it likes. For example, it is 100% legal to mail a complete long gun (rifle or shotgun, pistols are illegal to ship) in the United States. Now, any gun collector in their right mind would use UPS, but that's a little beyond the point. I do know that our post office and most post offices in the tri-state area will refuse long guns (and even parts!), even if accompanied by a copy of a dealer's license (FFL). There's no Federal or state laws against it (except in NJ); they just do it as part of office policy. Along these same lines, the local guys will refuse to insure certain envelopes that are deemed too wide, yet there's no USPS reg (I checked) regarding this.
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
            -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Thanks for the headsup, SDL. From now on, I will try to remember to tape over the clasp.

General thoughts on behalf of the USPS: 1) If any of us were to spend our working lives handling a few dozen envelopes a day over several years, then the laws of probability would eventually catch up to us and we might have a problem.... from being clumsy or something. 2) Maybe the USPS answer should be to require gloves for the handling of envelopes? Wouldn't that solve the problem? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and in this case, several pounds of cure. Any lawsuit from something like this would be in the same league as the lady who spilled hot coffee on herself and sued McDonalds.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup.
              Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X