Memorabilia you own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Why would Captain Cold Nose want his grampa to sign Johnny Wockenfuss' bat?

Dangit, Gary. I was going to ask him that.

No signature, but there's pine tar on it. And that is his name engraved in the bat. If Wockenfuss ever does a public signing, I'll have it signed. But I'm not concerned with it.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Why would Captain Cold Nose want his grampa to sign Johnny Wockenfuss' bat?

Why do I have to be the straight guy all the time in this shtick?
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
        Why do I have to be the straight guy all the time in this shtick?
        Because my posts are funny.

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
        No signature, but there's pine tar on it. And that is his name engraved in the bat. If Wockenfuss ever does a public signing, I'll have it signed. But I'm not concerned with it.
        I wouldn't get game-used stuff autographed. To me, once something has been used in a game it acquires an aura - it becomes "sacred," if you will - and an autograph would detract from that.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

If I wasn't so humor-challenged, I would have known that

<I wouldn't get game-used stuff autographed. To me, once something has been used in a game it acquires an aura - it becomes "sacred," if you will - and an autograph would detract from that.>

Perhaps, but I will hunt that Mets guy down
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

I wouldn't get game-used stuff autographed. To me, once something has been used in a game it acquires an aura - it becomes "sacred," if you will - and an autograph would detract from that.
            Good point. If it wasn't autographed 25+ years ago when we got it, and it's still treasured, the autograph won't do anything for it. It's not an item that is about value to me.
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
              Good point. If it wasn't autographed 25+ years ago when we got it, and it's still treasured, the autograph won't do anything for it. It's not an item that is about value to me.
              I don't know much a Wockenfuss autograph is worth. It's still nice to meet a guy & tell him the story, and I've seen player's faces light up when someone shows them one of their GU equipment

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                I don't know much a Wockenfuss autograph is worth. It's still nice to meet a guy & tell him the story, and I've seen player's faces light up when someone shows them one of their GU equipment
                That's an excellent idea. I probably won't get the bat signed, but I'm sure he'd like to hear how I got the bat, and he may even tell me something I don't know (which is pretty much everything but the very basic) about the actual day Wockenfuss passed the bat on.

If that day comes.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I believe that players are always amused when a fan shows up with something that they have not seen in a long time or if ever or a piece of game used equipment. I have shown up at various events with pictures of a player that I actually took at some point in the past rather than the photo file pics that most people buy or have. They always ask questions. For instance last summer, I caught Danny Graves in Durham. I had a 12 X 18 photo of him pitching against the Yankees in Great American Ball Park back in the '02 season. He asked me about the photo and we talked for a few minutes about it. The same thing happened with a photo that I took of Todd Coffey and Homer Bailey of the Reds. Bailey is usually surly but he saw the print that I took and he quickly obliged me with his auto along with a personalization which was fine with me.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X