Hall of Famers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Famers?

I'd like to collect cards of the all time greats. Can anyone suggest a brand/year that might feature lots of Hall of Fame types?

Originally posted by BlueJay
    I'd like to collect cards of the all time greats. Can anyone suggest a brand/year that might feature lots of Hall of Fame types?
    In the early 90's, there was the Conlon Collection. I'm not sure how many years they were produced, but Charles Conlon was a Sporting News photographer. The cards depict his black and white photos of many, many great Pre-WWII players. The cards were mass produced, and shouldn't be too difficult to find.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

About the same era, the "Ted Williams Card Company" put out some similar sets. I have a few of those and a few Conlon cards....nice photos of some all time greats.

Obviously, this isn't the same as having cards produced of these players during their playing days, but they are a nice addition to a collection.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

W517 is one of the best ever for HOFers

The 1931 W517 Strip Card set is one of the best. 34 of the 54 cards in the set are Hall of Famers. Many of them can be had for $30-$50 ea. Go on eBay and do a search with "W517" in the 1930-39 Category.
        Last edited by flyingdutchdude; 03-30-2006, 06:17 PM.
        Vintage PreWar/19th Century Cards BUY/SELL/TRADE

Comment

I know Fleer produces a GREATS OF THE GAME every year that includes active greats and vintage legends.

Comment

I have to second the Fleer GOTG sets, very nice sets and good vintage pictures on the cards also.

I've done one of these and it was a fun set to look at.

Comment

Check out post #19 in the "my favorite piece of memorabilia" thread.

Those are 2001 UD HOF bat cards. That set is amazing.

Comment

If you're more interested in regular issue cards of Hall of Famers, many can be had cheaply. Cards of recent hall of famers won't break the bank (Boggs, Winfield, Yount, Ryan, etc), and even some older guys from the 1960's and 1970's can be had for $10 or less on eBay.

A great way to get cards featuring older Hall of Famers is to get cards from when they coached. Ted Williams had some manager cards in the early 1970's that aren't too pricy, and Yogi Berra was a coach and manager for the Yankees in the mid-1980's.
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X