Topps baseball card question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topps baseball card question?

I know the topps baseball sets from between 1987-1990 were way over produced, so what is the number of boxes produced in each of those years millions or billions.

Originally posted by Mariano Rivera
    I know the topps baseball sets from between 1987-1990 were way over produced, so what is the number of boxes produced in each of those years millions or billions.
    I don't think Topps was as bad as Donruss in those years. I think the 1988 Donruss set was responsible for more litter than the Hartz pet brand.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
      I don't think Topps was as bad as Donruss in those years. I think the 1988 Donruss set was responsible for more litter than the Hartz pet brand.
      Yeah Donruss and 1990. I don't think Toppps was really the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
        I don't think Topps was as bad as Donruss in those years.
        Compare the value of key rookie cards in the 87 Topps and then Donruss
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          Compare the value of key rookie cards in the 87 Topps and then Donruss
          I don't think 1987 was the year flooding began.
          Donruss and Fleer might have under produced in 87.
          Overproduction started when competition grew...Score 1988 ... Upper Deck 1989...
          Not only was it overproduction, but the product quality suffered as well.

Comment

I'd say the key years were 1990, 1991, 1992, maybe more?

Comment

Upper Deck 1989, I believe, was the beginning of companies trying to produce more premium cards. I remember people complaining about paying over a dollar for a pack when those came out. When Topps Stadium Club came out, the hobby really stopped being a hobby.

If you go to Wal-Mart or large retailers like that, and you purchase one of those card bricks guaranteeing a superstar valuable card or something like that, I bet you'll find plenty of Donruss from 1988-1990, Score 1990, Topps 1990 and the like. 1987 was a benchmark year, because the rookie crop was so strong. That probably started the over production and less attention to quality. In a sense, the premium issues was over compensation for the poor quality of over abundance of cards in the late 80's and early 90's.

Remember when Topps brought the Bowman brand name back in 1989? And introduced Topps Big around the same time? Can you imagine what R & D was coming up with and throwing away if that's what made it to the shelves?
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

My favorite is, a guy goes to a psychologist who asks him to play word association. The doctor says "yellow", and the guy says 1991 Fleer
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Alan Trammell from the Topps 1988 Set

Hey Guys,

Came across a bunch of my old Topps cards from the 1988 set i believe (last season marked in career lines is 1987, so I assume its '88 set.) I have a Glenn Hoffman card which totall put the wrong head on the wrong body, wondering if that is worth anything? Also, I got a card that looks like Alan Trammell but gives a different name?

Let me know if they are worth anything, thansk.

Comment

Originally posted by beelobomber2
                    I have a Glenn Hoffman card which totall put the wrong head on the wrong body, wondering if that is worth anything? Also, I got a card that looks like Alan Trammell but gives a different name?
                    Would it be possible for you to scan the cards for us?
                    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

It seemed like Topps was trying to rehash the 60s, after the 1987 design, by being as boring as possible. 1990 Topps was a blatant attempt to imitate Donruss (and do a horrible job at it). 1991 was the year Fleer finally got their photography together and stopped releasing hideously grainy shots or very blurry shots. While the yellow may have been a tad much, it wasn't a bad design. 1993 Fleer seemed to be Fleer's attempt to win the Topps award for most boring design (after having won with worst card front with the '91 Ultra set...probably attempting to imtate '90-91 ProSet).

Check out various variety packs you see at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. They're always loaded with '88-89 Score, '87-89 Topps, 89-91 Donruss, '91 Upper Deck.
                      Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

1987 Topps!! The brown border is my own childhood nightmare
                        Shake and Bake!!

Comment

Originally posted by serpico127
                          Mine too. It may have been the year before I was born, but when I was little my father would have me help him by sorting cards in numerical order so he could them break them apart into boxes w/o any duplicates. I can't count high enough to name all the '87 Topps and '88 Donruss I've sorted...
                          CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Originally posted by serpico127
                            I actualy LIKED the 87 Topps design. That was the first set I collected, buying packs at the local gas station for 45 cents each and hoping for a McGwire, Canseco, Boggs, or Clemens.

I like the 1987 design much more than the '86, '88, or '90 Topps designs (1989 wasn't too bad). It was kinda a throwback to the old Topps sets of the 1950's. Nowadays, they'd call it "Heritage".
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

In 1987, Topps was selling wax packs at 45 cents for a whopping 17 cards! These days 17 cards is considered a "jumbo" pack.
                              Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X