Frustration with Topps "Support"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustration with Topps "Support"

So...a new user to this site who happens to be a family friend of a former player contacted me recently. They'd seen that I'd gotten his signature from my TTM site, and were wondering if ever found any cards of the player (Joe Trimble, for what it's worth).

I did a bit more searching, and when they said the family was pretty sure that Joe had gotten a copy or two of a Topps card TTM, I decided to email Topps.

I went to their site, and using their support form, entered the following:

Hello,

A bit of an oddball request, but hoping you can help. The family of former major leaguer Joe Trimble has told me that they have seen a Topps card of Joe, but I can find no evidence of one.

I'm wondering if maybe someone created a custom card using a Topps design and sent it to him to get signed.

Can you confirm if Topps ever made a card of Mr. Trimble? He appeared in the major leagues in 1955 and 1957.

Thank You,

Mike D.
    I got a response back, rather quickly (that's good). The bad...here's the response:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your question, and please accept our apologies for any difficulties you have encountered with our product.

Topps is only able to issue replacements for current year products. Once a product has reached its one year anniversary it is considered memorabilia, in which case we no longer hold replacements for that product.

The only information found through an internet search was the following:

Joe Trimble - 4/2 in 8 days. An RI guy, who never had a card produced of him, as far as I can tell. Signed my two CICs, customized one index card, and signed the other.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write.
    Sincerely,

Topps Customer Service team
    Wow.

So, the first two paragraphs have nothing to do with my issue, and then they did a Google search.

A search which apparently turned up the world's greatest expert on Joe Trimble's possible appearance on baseball cards.

That would be your friend and mine....Mike D.

Yeah, the quote about Trimble is from Baseball-Fever, from the day I got a TTM success from Trimble.

So, there you have it. Apparently, I know more about Joe Trimble's baseball cards than the folks who may have made them.

I wrote back a rather snippy email, but wanted to vent here, too.

I feel better already. :cap:
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

That is pretty pathetic customer service.
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
      I wrote back a rather snippy email, but wanted to vent here, too.
      I'm interested in what that e-mail said.

Besides my sillyness... Yeah Mike, that is terrible customer service. Seems like a automated type of response. Man, do I despise those!
      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Vive Upper Deck! :bowdown:
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

The guys at topps are so ******* stupid --

I emailed them earlier about the Topps Finest Letter Patch Refractors -- You know the shiny ****, and asked them about matt ANTONELLI

I asked them if there was any difference at all between the first N and the second one, and the first L and the second one...

Basically, I asked how an L could be labelled 1 of 1 if there was another L that was exactly the same. If you're buying a red refractor of N or L, there's not 5, but rather 10 of them.

They responded with: "While the cards are exactly the same, each letter is hand stitched which makes them 1 of 1s"

We're seriously getting to the point where because each Jersey Swatch comes from a different piece of the Jersey, Topps and UD will call it a 1 of 1.

Comment

Originally posted by topherkris View Post
            We're seriously getting to the point where because each Jersey Swatch comes from a different piece of the Jersey, Topps and UD will call it a 1 of 1.
            Oh, so you've been on ebay? :

Do NOT mention Topps in the same breath with Upper Deck
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

It is topps we are talking about here. You can't expect much.

Although I did just get a sketch card redemption back last week. I'm still waiting on 3 more I had sent in before the one I just got.
              I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
              Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Considering how much history Topps has, in story after story that I've heard about the company, they've never seemed to have much sense of their own history. Remember this is the company who just pasted the old sets into photo albums to have references to their old product. For a company as important to the hobby as Topps, they don't have any sort of museum or factory tour, and they apparently don't do much research into their own past unless it's to dredge up something to re-sell via the Topps Vault.

I almost wish the Baseball HOF would hire on someone like James Beckett or Bob Lemke to be their official baseball card historian, just so there'd be someone dedicated to the pursuit in an official capacity (i.e. getting paid to research baseball cards).
                Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

Well with the MLBPA licensing companies so sparingly it's not like Topps or UD have to try that hard. Which sucks for us.
                  Visit My Blog
                  Projects:
                  1994 Topps Finest - Autographed set - Don't expect the whole set but I want as many as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                    Oh, so you've been on ebay? :

Do NOT mention Topps in the same breath with Upper Deck
                    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but for all Topps' crap this year -- They BLEEEEW UD out of the water on flagships.

I don't consider Jeter, KG Jr. or any of the Topps Cut Sigs in my evaluation..

UD still made nicer looking autos and gu, but their names were crap.

Topps with the quad patch, jumbo swatch, sketch card, wbc, etc etc just killed upper deck and their...

Stephen Stratsburg? 2007 Buy Backs? 1989 Buy backs?

Comment

"Well with the MLBPA licensing companies so sparingly it's not like Topps or UD have to try that hard."

Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. One of the things that made Topps and Upper Deck so good into 2006 was just how competitive the market was. But then Fleer went bankrupt and Donruss got its license yanked and all the new reforms came in...reforms which basically guaranteed Topps and UD would be the only two companies with licenses. So they've essentially gotten fat and lazy with no real competition aside from each other.
                      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but for all Topps' crap this year -- They BLEEEEW UD out of the water on flagships.
                        If you can ever find any inserts . . .

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                          If you can ever find any inserts . . .
                          What do you mean? The inserts are seeded at a pretty much identical rate...

Comment

What do you mean? The inserts are seeded at a pretty much identical rate...
                            You might want to check the Pack Pull thread

Comment

Seriously, what do you even do with the cards you pull from UD? It's 99% Junk, unless you get crazy lucky and pull a Strasburg (congrats)

I bought a couple boxes last week, series 2 of each, neither one was good, but both were very typical:

Rocco Baldelli GU / Kevin Hart Auto / Team USA GU

vs.

Alex Gordon GU / WBC Forgotten Cuban Player GU / Robbie Cano Auto.

Upper Deck's autograph list is just terrible, and their game used is just as bad. As I'm not american, I prefer those WBC Cards.

A Piece of History has been incredibly kind to me, but is there any reason why Two Gold Member Cards are in sequential boxes, in the same case?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X