X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Schmidt On Autograph Collecting

Mike Schmidt On Autograph Collecting
    http://www.baseballhappenings.net/20...is-out-of.html

Baseball Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt weighs in on his take on autographs after the recent Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in Cooperstown. How far over the line have autograph seekers gone in their quest to obtain signatures? Read Schmidt's analysis at the link above.

If you don't believe Schmidt, read this exchange on another autographing website, and you can see the stalker / annoyance tactics people use to try to get autographs.

Here's 1 .. standing in the middle of traffic begging Derek Jeter to sign, and stalking Pedro Martinez all over Florida for an autograph
    http://www.sportsgraphing.com/ip-aut...-graphs-8.html

Here's 2 - People sneaking into the Vinoy hotel to try to find out what floors the Yankee players are staying on, and then hiding out on those floors to bumrush the players before they get in the elevator.
    http://www.sportsgraphing.com/ip-aut...tel-field.html
    Last edited by metrotheme; 08-01-2009, 02:10 PM.
    Baseball Happenings
    - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
    http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Thats crazy! I've never seen those stories before. I read the Schmidt story, it sounds true. Now standing outside Jeter's car is one thing, but following A-Rod to the gym when he's with his girlfriend or hanging out by the elevator on the actual floor they are staying on is stalking. Not only were you kicked out, but you go back up and are kicked out again. Then you run when you see security. It is obvious you arent welcome there and you are asking for the police to find something to book you on...

I've never understood this. If you want autographs so bad, get these guys when they are at least at the stadium or outside the hotel. Stadium is fair game, hotel is pushing it but as long as you stay in the lobby or outside I dont see how it should be a huge deal... They should expect them anyways.

Thats just my take on it.

Comment

I visit that website (with the Jeter story) often as a lurker, as I used to be a big-time autograph collector. That person who posted the Jeter story came off as a huge tool with all his posts. It's idiots like that who make athletes not want to sign.

Comment

If I were famous, I'd autograph index cards on my own time and carry them with me when I went out. If someone asked me for my autograph, I'd personalize the index card and give it to them. Most people that really wanted my autograph (to keep) would be happy with that. The people that sell autographs on ebay probably wouldn't be.

Comment

Stan Musial used to do that. Those postcards that he sends out, he used to carry them on him already pre-signed to hand out because he was recognized that much.

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
          If I were famous, I'd autograph index cards on my own time and carry them with me when I went out. If someone asked me for my autograph, I'd personalize the index card and give it to them. Most people that really wanted my autograph (to keep) would be happy with that. The people that sell autographs on ebay probably wouldn't be.
          Baseball Happenings
          - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
          http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

That moron who bothered Jeter should but punched. If anyone bothered me while I was stopped at a light would get knocked out. Plain and simple.
            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Haha! I dont know why people will go to the trouble of running a guy down on the street. I hate those people.

Comment

I think this has been brought up before, but if people wanted my autograph, I'd only sign my custom cards that I made, personalize them, and give out only one per request. I wouldn't sign those blank autograph cards, which I commonly use myself. But those guys who follow the players everywhere all the time are just losers who are ruining the hobby and the whole experience altogether. It's unfortunate that it's gotten this bad. I recently heard someone tell me that Scott Elbert doesn't like to sign too many autographs because he sees people selling them on eBay. Well I looked on eBay and found a bunch of his autographs for sale....his CERTIFIED autographs! hahaha
                Originally posted by ipitch View Post

Comment

I've seen these guys before.
                  Once or twice a year my son, my friend, his son, and I will all try to either see the Mets in ST or play a regular season series in another stadium we've never been to (last year it was Cincinnati). Well my son is very good with computers for his age and knows which hotels the Mets stay at. We usually book a room in that certain hotel ahead of time, and when we arrive my son and the other boy, a year older, will hang out and wait for guys to come and sign. We do this for them because they're still young and idolize almost every guy on the Mets roster. If it were up to my friend and I, we'd save money staying somewhere else and just go the games. So, the two boys will ask players for 1 autograph when they don't look busy. They won't hawk around their every move. They'll sit on a coach and wait for someone to pass by. Then they will casually get up and ask for a signature or a picture. But sometimes there are these middle aged bums that come running into the hotel, pushing them out of the way with binders full of cards and boxes of balls. The players will frown and walk away as the security guards come yelling at all of them. It's pathetic 'cause none of these guys even have rooms at these hotels. And is it really that important for them to get 4 of the same inscribed autographs? The answer's no. They have no right to spoil the fun for kids who just want to have a few minutes with their role models.
                  "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed." - Casey Stengel

"No matter what I talk about, I always get back to baseball." - Connie Mack

NYM 2010

Comment

Originally posted by newboy119 View Post
                    I've seen these guys before.
                    Once or twice a year my son, my friend, his son, and I will all try to either see the Mets in ST or play a regular season series in another stadium we've never been to (last year it was Cincinnati). Well my son is very good with computers for his age and knows which hotels the Mets stay at. We usually book a room in that certain hotel ahead of time, and when we arrive my son and the other boy, a year older, will hang out and wait for guys to come and sign. We do this for them because they're still young and idolize almost every guy on the Mets roster. If it were up to my friend and I, we'd save money staying somewhere else and just go the games. So, the two boys will ask players for 1 autograph when they don't look busy. They won't hawk around their every move. They'll sit on a coach and wait for someone to pass by. Then they will casually get up and ask for a signature or a picture. But sometimes there are these middle aged bums that come running into the hotel, pushing them out of the way with binders full of cards and boxes of balls. The players will frown and walk away as the security guards come yelling at all of them. It's pathetic 'cause none of these guys even have rooms at these hotels. And is it really that important for them to get 4 of the same inscribed autographs? The answer's no. They have no right to spoil the fun for kids who just want to have a few minutes with their role models.

Thats the way it should be. They ought to check and see if your actually staying at the hotel before you're allowed inside whenever a visiting pro sports team is staying there. Maybe it's just what I've seen, but they dont really check to see who's coming in and out. In your case, you're actually staying in the hotel so you have every right to be in that lobby. Those idiots who you are talking about ought to be taken away for some made up reason! Now no offense to any of you who go to hotel as I am not talking about you. I am talking about the idiots that are crazy and stalk them and arent calm about getting an autograph. Those are the ones that need to be hauled away in a cop car for disturbing the peace or something made up. They are the ones that wont be leaving any time soon. They will stalk the team and cause trouble in the hotel as long as they are allowed there.

Comment

I can see why some hotels now have no-autograph rules on their property...even for guests.

Me..I'll ask at the ballpark or TTM...or if a player is making an public appearance. I usually get 3 pics signed AT THE MOST and I laways ask to personalize so they know I'm not a seller.
                      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

One more thing I forgot to add:

These hardcore collectors need to realize that the players do not owe anyone anything. If player A goes 0-5 during a game do you think that he will be in a good mood to stop and chit chat? I know I wouldn't be.
                        Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

That is true. I asked Weyinmi Efejuku of the PC Friars basketball team for an autograph and he said after the game. People around me told me he actually would sign after the game he's a cool guy. So I watch the game and they lose. It was the NIT tournament. All the players especially the seniors were heartbroken. That was their last game. Weyinmi was a senior. I had the common sense to not go and be like hey Weyinmi how about that auotgraph. Those guys would have asked. I care more about the players and sport than the autograph.

Comment

i watched that game on tv. cool you were there. some people would go up to a player leaving the stadium with a arm full of stuff and ask for a sig. all i did was say nice game to him an let him be.
                            sigpic

XBOX live "bettencourt21"

New Yankee Stadium is the house that Jeter Built

anyone been to the harbor today... did you see the statue of liberty

Comment

Yeah there wa no way I would have ever asked. I love that team and was crushed when they lost. In the end I talked to weyinmi on facebook a few months later and he gave me his address to send him the picture. He is a wicked cool guy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X