No announcement yet.

Mike Schmidt On Autograph Collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If players actually signed a number of autographs here and there - I doubt they'd ever have to deal with people running in to traffic.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 08-20-2009, 01:37 PM.
    This is decadent. And I once went to Miami with Darryl Strawberry.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
      True, there are jerks (dealers/stalkers) who ask, but don't ruin it for the kids.
      Or the adults. (Yes, adults like autographs too! Not all of us are dealers.)
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by RaoulDuke View Post
        If players actually signed a number of autographs here and there - I doubt they'd ever have to deal with people running in to traffic.
        Yea, they could sign enough that their autograph becomes worthless. That would cut down on alot of the stalking. But I guess the million of dollars alot of these atheltes already make is not enough.

Now don't get me wrong some of these autograph chasers are nuts. The ones that stalk players and cut off kids are just as greedy. I'm sure it can be a real pain to deal with. But I've read stuff where Babe Ruth would sign for everyone and anyone that showed up (or at least all the kids). If he could do it, then today's players can do it. Most of them probably don't recieve 1/100 of the attention the Babe did.

Comment

The stalkers are lame, and really give the hobby a bad name. I have to admit, though, I always get a chuckle when players talk about "guys making a lot of money off my name" or whatever.

In some cases, it's true...if you got Willie Mays to sign a ball on the sweet spot, sure, that's probably worth some money. The 28 year old AAA veteran who you got to sign your program, though? Or the average major leaguer you got on a ball or a card? Or the average major leaguer from 20 years ago that you got to sign your card TTM?

Nobody is getting rich off that stuff, and if they are, they should write a book or something because they're finanical geniuses!
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            The stalkers are lame, and really give the hobby a bad name. I have to admit, though, I always get a chuckle when players talk about "guys making a lot of money off my name" or whatever.

In some cases, it's true...if you got Willie Mays to sign a ball on the sweet spot, sure, that's probably worth some money. The 28 year old AAA veteran who you got to sign your program, though? Or the average major leaguer you got on a ball or a card? Or the average major leaguer from 20 years ago that you got to sign your card TTM?

Nobody is getting rich off that stuff, and if they are, they should write a book or something because they're finanical geniuses!
            I recently had Phil Regan give me grief along similar lines when I asked him to sign some card blowups.

Sorry Phil. You were a great pitcher back then, but I just don't see your memorabilia showing up on The Wall Street Report...
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X