MLB gives Topps Exclusive Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    I grew up with Topps only, and if I didnt like the design in a particular year, I had no options. I hope it doesnt come to that again.
    I started buying cards in 1982, but I've always felt Topps was "the real one," so to speak, and even when there was competition I've felt the same way you do, but with a slightly different outlook - if I didn't like a design Topps went with, tough luck for me because that was the design Topps chose and if I wanted to buy Topps' cards, I had no options.

So for me, "I hope it doesnt come to that again" is moot because it's always been like that.

I recognize the other brands as "legitimate," but they don't have the "cachet" Topps does.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I would love to see the return of Stadium Club but I see no reason to expect it.

And I also see no reason why 2009 UD cards would go up in value. The demand just will not increase enough to put a dent in the supply. There are vast numbers of 2009 UD cards and if several thousand people decide that they wanna make sure they have that 2009 UD card of their player they'll be able to get that card without straining the supply. The quantity is just too great.
      Visit My Blog
      Projects:
      1994 Topps Finest - Autographed set - Don't expect the whole set but I want as many as I can get.

Comment

"I would love to see the return of Stadium Club but I see no reason to expect it."

Stadium Club is still out there. I'm not sure if its been hobby exclusive for most of this decade and in the last couple of years they brought it to retail stores. Regardless, its nowhere close to being as big as it was in the '90s.
        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

"I'd love to see BBM from Japan get a license in the North American market and soundly thrash Topps' pathetic designs."

Not only do I second this (BBM produces some fantastic cards), but I also think it's possible for Calbee to get in on the action and that this presents them with a pretty good opportunity. There is a Calbee USA, but they only market health foods, not candy. If they started importing candy and selling it with a card or two of MLBPA-licensed cards (not MLB-licensed, but MLBPA-licensed, meaning they can do all the MLB players), that'd fly off the shelves. Their cards are a little undersized, but they're known for terrific photography and large base sets without inserts. I know a lot of the purists would probably like that.
          Last edited by Dalkowski110; 08-07-2009, 06:49 AM.
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
          -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I believe that Upper Deck got a license to produce cards of COLLEGE players. Are we talking pre-pre-rookie cards? This does not interest me in the least.
            I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

I believe that Upper Deck got a license to produce cards of COLLEGE players. Are we talking pre-pre-rookie cards? This does not interest me in the least.
              Big deal. I want ULTRASOUND SONOGRAM cards
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I believe Upper Deck has licenses with the player's union to produce cards showing the players, but they can't use MLB logos. So Upper Deck might have to use a lot of airbrushing, or I guess Photoshop, on the finished product.
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                  Big deal. I want ULTRASOUND SONOGRAM cards
                  Now you're talking! Excellant idea.

Perhaps they could also produce memorabilia cards with pieces of placenta in the card.
                  I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Now you're talking! Excellant idea.

Perhaps they could also produce memorabilia cards with pieces of placenta in the card.
                    Don't the card companies say they bring you closer to the players?
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                      Don't the card companies say they bring you closer to the players?
                      Yeah, where's the January sets of players in their offseason, mowing the grass, paying the utility bill, hosing off the drive way, picking up their McGriddles on their way to the batting cage...
                      Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

Originally posted by DaClyde View Post
                        Yeah, where's the January sets of players in their offseason, mowing the grass, paying the utility bill, hosing off the drive way, picking up their McGriddles on their way to the batting cage...
                        You'd have to ask their butlers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X