Most Unusual Signature On A Ball?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Unusual Signature On A Ball?!?!

I was browsing through Seth Swirsky's website and was amazed at his amazing collection of autographed baseballs including balls signed by the Beatles, Apollo Astronauts and every President since Nixon.

Does anyone else have any unusual signatures on baseballs?

I was thinking of starting one with all of the Georgia Governors (at least since Jimmah) I think it's doable.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

The Georgia Governors does sound pretty doable. You should try to get them on the type of baseball that was being used when they were in office.
    I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
    Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

I used to actively collect non-baseball players on baseballs for a while in the early 1990s. Don't remember everyone I have but here are some, listed in Alphabetical order for your convenience...

Phil Donahue
      Rush Limbaugh (who actually worked for the Kansas City Royals as director of promotions for a short time)
      Jim Shooter (former editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics)
      Curtis Sliwa (Guardian Angels) and Lisa Sliwa on the same ball
      Mark Stutzman (designer of the 1993 Elvis Presley postage stamp)

If I have a chance to dig up my collection I'll see if there are any others.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I have 5 baseballs that dont make much sense, but they are interesting anyway-
        1) former Boston Bruin Ken Hodge
        2) '93 UMaine Black Bears 2 players (Martin Mercier & Cal Ingraham) but I also did manage to get the late legendary coach Shawn Walsh
        3) model Christie Brinkley (its a stretch but she did do some baseball cards for Pinnacle years ago, so that counts for something)
        4) ball signed by the members of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (famous jugglers) (if there actually is such a thing as a famous juggler....hehe)
        5) and the ball that has absolutely the worst reasoning....(but 3 are players) Tampa Bay Devil Rays logo baseball with Jim Perry, Goose Gossage, Rich Rollins, and Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh (WHAT THE???????) (I guess if I just get Kevin Bacon to sign it I could connect everybody on the ball......)

Comment

Originally posted by xholdourownx View Post
          The Georgia Governors does sound pretty doable. You should try to get them on the type of baseball that was being used when they were in office.
          I would get all the signatures on the same ball.

If I had only thought of this fifteen years ago. I've met Zell Miller, Roy Barnes and Sonny Perdue in the course of my job but never thought to get them to sign a baseball.
          If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Good thread.

I have two notable non-baseball player sigs on balls. The first is Tim Conway. The year was 1993 and I was spending time at the Blue Jays spring training camp. One day I spotted a film crew on one of the practice fields and upon further inspection noticed Conway "buried" up to his waist. I had seen his "Dorf" videos before (not very funny, BTW) and figured they must be doing one for baseball, so I hung out for a little while longer and he saw me and a few others by the fence and came over to sign.

The other is Meatloaf in 1994. He was doing an in-store at Strawberries, a now-defunct music chain in New England. Coincidently, he attended the Red Sox game that night. I remember it pretty well because Bush One was there as well, not to mention that the Sox got POUNDED by the Rangers that night!

Later that summer, when I went to the BBHOF induction cermonies, I got Phil Rizzuto's auto on the same ball. For those who might not know the connection, it's Rizzuto's "play-by-play" on Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights". It's a good conversation piece.

Comment

Originally posted by CorduroyCalves View Post
              The other is Meatloaf in 1994 . . . . . Later that summer, when I went to the BBHOF induction cermonies, I got Phil Rizzuto's auto on the same ball. For those who might not know the connection, it's Rizzuto's "play-by-play" on Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights". It's a good conversation piece.
              I heard that when Rizzuto found out exactly what the song was about, and the nature of the particular "play" inquestion - I guess he was unaware of the song, or someone just asked him to record the play-by-play - he said something to the effect of he was sorry he contributed to the song. Don't know if the story is true or not, but you've got a great piece. Do both signatures display easily at the same time?

Meanwhile, I found two more non-baseball men whose autographs I got on baseballs... George Plimpton and Maury Povich.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                I heard that when Rizzuto found out exactly what the song was about, and the nature of the particular "play" inquestion - I guess he was unaware of the song, or someone just asked him to record the play-by-play - he said something to the effect of he was sorry he contributed to the song. Don't know if the story is true or not, but you've got a great piece. Do both signatures display easily at the same time?

Meanwhile, I found two more non-baseball men whose autographs I got on baseballs... George Plimpton and Maury Povich.
                Gary, I haven't looked at the ball in a while (it's in storage at my folk's house in NH, I'm living in Denver), but Meatloaf is on the sweet spot, and Rizzuto is on the loop underneath, I believe. I didn't realize that Scooter had those feelings regarding the song, though he didn't seem phased when he signed it.

BTW, if you're interested in trading that Plimpton ball, be sure to let me know.

Comment

Garth Brook the country singer. He was singing the national anthem at Shea one year. I got him outside Shea before the game. He must have signed for about 30 min.
                  Howie Long the HOF Football player. I had these insane seats behind the 3rd base dugout at Yankee Stadium. Howie was sitting a section over from me. I don't think anyone realized who he was at the time until I went over to talk to him. He was very nice. He signed the SS and added HOF for me.
                  sigpic
                  As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
                  164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
                  http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
                  Check out my new Blog
                  www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

I didn't mention the ball I have signed by Prof. John Preskill and Prof. Kip Thorne. Along with Prof. Stephen Hawking these guys are the leading theoretical astrophysicists in the world. They are noted for their bets that place with each other; one of which was partially conceded to by Hawking. The pay-up? The 8th edition of Total Baseball: the Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia.

Thorne-Hawking-Preskill Bet

I would love to have it imprinted with Hawking's mark but I just don't think it's feasible anymore.
                    Last edited by Allie Fox; 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I have one of Manon Rheaume, who played in a couple exhibition games for the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning, the first female player to do so.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I've got a Kevin Costner signed ball somewhere here in my office- A buddy of mine had Bill Clinton sign a ball for him a while back.

But the Flying Karamazov Brothers? That's a winner right there!
                        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

I forgot about my Costner ball. I also have James Earl Jones
                          sigpic
                          As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
                          164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
                          http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
                          Check out my new Blog
                          www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

Unusual signed ball . . .

Perhaps my most unusually signed baseball is one signed by both Ty Cobb (not unusual) and his son, Ty Cobb Jr. at Detroit Tigers spring training camp, in 1933.

Evidently, the Cobbs were just visitors. I also have a trio of album pages signed by the Detroit team at that same Spring Training camp too. Both Cobb (Ty Sr. & Jr.) signatures are present on one of those pages. Both the signed baseball and album pages came from the same individual (fan) who personally obtained the signatures as a youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
                              I didn't mention the ball I have signed by Prof. John Preskill and Prof. Kip Thorne. Along with Prof. Stephen Hawking these guys are the leading theoretical astrophysicists in the world. They are noted for their bets that place with each other; one of which was partially conceded to by Hawking. The pay-up? The 8th edition of Total Baseball: the Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia.

Thorne-Hawking-Preskill Bet

I would love to have it imprinted with Hawking's mark but I just don't think it's feasible anymore.
                              So much for that last statement. I received in the mail last week a baseball imprinted with Prof. Hawking's right thumbprint.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X