Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I'm surprised you can get that much for Topps GU

<I basically buy boxes of cards for the rookies, so I can send them out to get signed (because that's mostly all I send is rookie cards).>

Whaddya do with the non-rooks?
    Organize them away and put them in my closet. Sometimes I send them out to get signed, so I have stuff to put on my website for free autographs.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
      Upper Deck may not be making ANY cards.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...RaeT64DijxTQXK
      That would put a crimp in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWdCuWKieg
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
        That would put a crimp in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWdCuWKieg
        Reggie Sanders, haha. 'I can't wait for......National Packtime'.
        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

I'm surprised no one's mentioned 1968 Topps and 1969 Topps Larry Haney. He was pictured correctly on the '68 Topps card, but the negative is flipped on the '69 Topps card. What makes this funny is that he's a catcher and he looks like he's catching lefty in the '69 set.
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
          -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Not a superstar but a heck of a writer.
            Attached Files
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Normally Topps would take hatless pics. How often did you see the same pic used for two different teams?
              Attached Files
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                Upper Deck may not be making ANY cards.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...RaeT64DijxTQXK
                Any word on how this ended up?
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

I saw a story about this yesterday or the day before, that they agreed to a settlement, but I didnt catch the details.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
                    I saw a story about this yesterday or the day before, that they agreed to a settlement, but I didnt catch the details.
                    Sweet, because series 1 baseball is supposed to drop any day. Let's keep each other informed if we see it.

Comment

Here's the 1968 and 1969 Larry Haney cards mentioned earlier. And like the Ollie Brown cards, there are two different teams represented.
                      Attached Files

Comment

"Normally Topps would take hatless pics. How often did you see the same pic used for two different teams?"

Actually, more than you'd think. Charlie Smith appears in the 1964 Topps set in full Chicago White Sox uniform, cap untouched. But the heading says "Mets" right over his head. In 1962, Don Zimmer is shown with the New York Mets. But the team name below that says "Cincinnati Reds." In 1963, Jim Perry appears on a baseball card that bizarrely shows him with an airbrushed Minnesota Twins cap in the smaller photograph and an unaltered Cleveland Indians cap in the big one! Likewise, we get this a few times in the 1954 Topps set, although it's been most obvious to me on Don Liddle's baseball card, where they never bothered changing the small photo at all, but did a decent job of airbrushing the big photo. Although J.C. Martin's 1969 Topps card has no cap, you can easily make out the word "Chicago" on his chest. Same thing with Gary Waslewski, although the card says "Cardinals" and it's really obvious that Gary is wearing a Red Sox jersey.

In 1954, and I have the card which makes it all the more annoying that I can't remember (I know he had a Polish last name and was a pitcher), someone had been airbrushed to appear from one team to another...I can't remember the original team, but they changed his cap to that of the Boston Red Sox. Of course, he played with the Baltimore Orioles that year. Bowman made a similar gaffe in 1954 with their Johnny Antonelli card. After beautifully airbrushing that Braves uniform he had on into a Giants uniform that looks like it was a work of art...they stuck a New York Yankees logo on his cap. Umm...oops!

Another one most people miss is Tommie Aaron's 1963 (or was it 1962?) Topps and 1969 Topps cards. He has the same, Minor League photo on both cards!! There are also a few guys from the 1974 Topps set that appear capless and in closeup photos for no real reason, like Gary Nolan and Bud Harrelson. Considering that this was the year of "Washington, Nat'l League" for the Padres, I often wonder if they were listening to player trade rumors. The Mets did consider trading Bud Harrelson to the Phillies in 1974, for example, which I believe came out when they traded him to the Phillies in the late 1970's.

Then there's Al Ferrara. The photograph on his 1967 Topps card is identical to one used on an insert set in 1969 Topps, that being Deckle Edge. Only, Al had been drafted by the San Diego Padres. So what did they do? Well, Topps airbrushed his entire uniform! There's no team name, no logo...NOTHING (except a jersey number)! It's like a 2007 Donruss card. My guess is that this was made easier because of the black and white nature of the Deckle Edge insert set. And, unbelieveably, they airbrushed the uniform of another player wearing a Dodger uniform in the background of the card! Al appeared late in the year in the 1969 Topps regular set, wearing a correct Padres uniform (appearing with both an uncommon white first name and a common yellow first name, much like the Mickey Mantle and Jerry Crider/George Mitterwald cards).

Then there's Fritz Ackley, famous for sharing his rookie card with Steve Carlton (although in the Minors, he pitched just about as well before an arm injury derailed his career). Ackley appeared in just one game with the Chicago White Sox in the Major Leagues. He correctly appears on a 1964 Topps rookie card with Don Buford, both in ChiSox uniforms. Though he's featured on the 1965 Topps with Steve Carlton, he never pitched a single game with the Cardinals. His uniform was airbrushed from White Sox to Cardinals regardless...sort of. His cap is totally blank. Joel Gibson, who shares a rookie card with Ken Berry in 1965 Topps, had his career cut short by a freakish injury where he destroyed his leg in a car wreck while playing winter ball. Obtained from the Philadelphia Phillies organization, I'm almost sure that his picture on that card is with a Phillies Minor League team. But he never pitched a single game in the Majors. Dan Neville appears in full Reds attire on his 1965 Topps rookie card, along side Art Shamsky. Neville blew out his arm warming up in the bullpen and never pitched in the Majors. Bill Haas appears on Rusty Staub's 1963 Topps rookie card as well as Dick Smith's 1964 Topps rookie card. He didn't play in the Majors, yet before the Topps USA cards, the late 1980's and draft pick cards, and Bowman, still managed to have two cards of himself in the Topps sets! In 1954, Angel Scull got his own Topps card, but a freak injury stopped him from playing in the Majors, as well.

And then of course, my favorite: 1963 Topps #496 Rookie Stars: Steve Dalkowski's rookie card (shared with Carl Bouldin, Jack Smith, and Fred Newman). When I asked Steve if he remembered anyone on that card, he remembered Fred Newman pretty well (he pitched against him in AAA Spring Training; Fred is now deceased, unfortunately), Jack Smith he thought went to the same Arizona Fall League team Smith did one year (Steve explained that the team was a co-op between three teams), and he'd heard the name Carl Bouldin, but had never pitched against him (Steve did face the 1963 Toronto Maple Leafs whom Bouldin pitched for). Since that's not going into my book, I figured you guys might get a kick out of it.
                        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X