Best Ways to Sell Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ways to Sell Collection

No, I'm not trying to sell my cards on here, I know the rules. But I am asking for help as to how to go about it. The VAST majority of my collection is rookie cards over the past 20 years, with a few vintage and inserts sprinkled in.

I know all about ebay. But if possible, i'd rather not have Ebay AND paypal take a substantial cut (since pretty much the only way to buy/sell on ebay now is if you have paypal).

I've loved collecting for many years, but it's run its course for me. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I decided that I will collect Auto's and started to buy some Game Used and start dumping the cards. Besides Ebay, there is another site called Naxcom. Butm there fees are worse then Ebays. The other option I looked into was doing Local card shows. The only deal with that is you will most likley need a Tax ID No. Espesially if you do some large shows that are run by some larger promoters.
    I was told by one promoter, who was rather small. That he would let me do a 1 show without an Id No. I never got around to it. The other question to ask yourself is, will you make enough doing the show or are wasting your money. Most of these small shows charge anywhere bewteen $35-$65 dollars per 6' table. Do you think you would sell more cards than those No's. I scoped out a few local shows to try to get an idea of what others where selling and there prices. When I started pricing cards I was cutting 45% off the High BV. I've sold a couple of those cards on EBay and got know where close to even those prices. Don't expect to get rich selling your stuff.
    You can try Craiglist, I don't like it myself. I'm just going to slowly continue selling on EBay. if you decide to go this way. Start off by selling low valued cards. Get a handle on how things work.
    Your collection is from the last 20 yrs or so. I believe that falls in the time the cards are pretty worthless. 1987-Mid 90's. You won't get much for them
    Good Luck
    sigpic
    As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
    164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
    http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
    Check out my new Blog
    www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

Howie mentioned Craigslist and that might be the cheapest way to go as you don't have to worry about charges and fees. You could sale your cards together as a huge lot and name your price or take a best offer.
      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

If you choose to use Craiglist BEWARE!. Agree to meet the interested party some where other than your house. It sounds inconvient. But, it might save some heartache and possibbly your collection and maybe more. There are some real A-Holes out there
        Someone in my famiily had a bad experience because of an ad on Craiglist. An interested party set up an appointment to look at something they had in the garage, after there address was given out, the guy cancelled. The next day this A-Hole broke in the house, while they where sleeping early in the morning. Luckly they where unsuccessful. But, there was a decent amount of damage done to the house and 2 freaked out little kids.
        Last edited by howiek; 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM.
        sigpic
        As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
        164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
        http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
        Check out my new Blog
        www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by howiek View Post
          I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I decided that I will collect Auto's and started to buy some Game Used and start dumping the cards. Besides Ebay, there is another site called Naxcom. Butm there fees are worse then Ebays. The other option I looked into was doing Local card shows. The only deal with that is you will most likley need a Tax ID No. Espesially if you do some large shows that are run by some larger promoters.
          I was told by one promoter, who was rather small. That he would let me do a 1 show without an Id No. I never got around to it. The other question to ask yourself is, will you make enough doing the show or are wasting your money. Most of these small shows charge anywhere bewteen $35-$65 dollars per 6' table. Do you think you would sell more cards than those No's. I scoped out a few local shows to try to get an idea of what others where selling and there prices. When I started pricing cards I was cutting 45% off the High BV. I've sold a couple of those cards on EBay and got know where close to even those prices. Don't expect to get rich selling your stuff.
          You can try Craiglist, I don't like it myself. I'm just going to slowly continue selling on EBay. if you decide to go this way. Start off by selling low valued cards. Get a handle on how things work.
          Your collection is from the last 20 yrs or so. I believe that falls in the time the cards are pretty worthless. 1987-Mid 90's. You won't get much for them
          Good Luck
          Well only a small portion is from the late 80's to early 90's (the era of MASS overproduction haha), the vast majority of it is from the past 10 years.
          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
            No, I'm not trying to sell my cards on here, I know the rules. But I am asking for help as to how to go about it. The VAST majority of my collection is rookie cards over the past 20 years, with a few vintage and inserts sprinkled in.

I know all about ebay. But if possible, i'd rather not have Ebay AND paypal take a substantial cut (since pretty much the only way to buy/sell on ebay now is if you have paypal).

I've loved collecting for many years, but it's run its course for me. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
            If you're willing to separate your Red Sox stuff, I'd be interested.

Comment

You will probably have the best success in breaking the cards up into large team lots and putting them on ebay. I actually sold some hockey cards from the early 1990's on a message board by team lots, and people paid for the shipping plus $1 - $1.50 per 100 cards, which is actually a decent price seeing that the cards were mass produced.

If you have more modern stuff, you can list the cards on sportlots.com ... just be aware if you don't sell $5.00 per month, they take 75% of the price, but it is still more than what you would get for those base cards on the open market. It's a very slow way to sell. Some people also use Checkoutmycards.com but it is also slow and has a fair amount of upfront costs.

The largest amount of people buying are on ebay, and with ebay fees and paypal you are going to give up about 15% of your earnings, but it is still cheaper than the costs of running a real life store. Paypal allows you to take credit cards, which if you didn't know, if you had a private business, you would have to pay 4% on credit card transactions anyway, so it's really not that bad.

I would recommend trying a few message boards.
              http://forums.collectors.com
              http://www.sportscardforum.com
              http://www.thebenchtrading.com (you have to have a few trades under your belt before you can sell)
              http://www.freedomcardboard.com
              The Topps baseball card message boards are decent too.
              Baseball Happenings
              - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
              http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

interesting, thanks guys

Comment

As the owner of Freedom Card Board.com

I would be glad to answer any questions about the site :-)

Thanks for the mention.

Comment

Since you already have said that you are not currently fond of Ebay and Paypal, I will acknowledge how you feel about them currently. I would, however, like to offer you some advice on how to sell your cards. If you do not want to accept a lower price for them, simply wait until you find a buyer willing to pay the price you ask for them. Doing so online, placing classified listings/postings/etc. wherever you can, telling people in your town about them, etc. is a great way to start. Just wait until you get the price that you would like for your cards, it is that simple. If everyone did that, we would be closer to getting back to the days of baseball cards where you could walk into a card store and get 50% of the book value cash or trade. Good luck and please have fun collecting
                    Baseball cards, sports cards & My Baseball Card Space website are my favorite hobbies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X