Card Condition versus Sig Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card Condition versus Sig Condition

Would you rather have a clean looking autograph on a dinged up card, or a less clear signature on a mint condition card?
    sigpic
    Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
    Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

I take the clean sig on a less than mint card. I've started buying lots of 60's commons in VG condition for TTM use. They still look great signed. Even cards that were mint when I sent them come back with a nick or two all the time, which I don't mind.

I HATE a lousy sig, though. I don't even add them to my collection...I usually give them away.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Yeah I would rather have the beat up card with a good sig. I buy the cheapest cards on Sports lots, and most of the time, they are pretty good conditon. I buy a lot of cards from the 50s and 60s and the worst I usually get is rounded corners or a crease somewhere. I bought one card that had the team name crossed out and the players new team written on it in crayon, I tossed that, but otherwise I had good success with them.

As Mike said, I hate a lousy sig. I got a crappy one from Kenny Holtzman, and I was dissapointed when I got it back. I kept it, cause it is a legit sig, but I dont pride it at all.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

"I take the clean sig on a less than mint card."

I sent Dave Vineyard a 1965 Topps card in pretty awful shape a while back and it actually turned out really well.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I'm with you guys, I have a couple of sloppy sigs on near mint cards and I don't even consider them part of my collection.
          Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
          Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
          Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

Card condition doesn't bother me. That's why I got this one signed (the one on the right):

carlerskine12.jpg

Comment

Condition of the card is nice, but I've been having a blast lately buying lots of 60's commons on eBay cheap and using them for TTM use. There are knicked corners here and there, but in general the cards are not terrible looking, and getting sigs from the old timers on real cards is great.
              Last edited by Mike D.; 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X