DMBFan's Trivia Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMBFan's Trivia Time

OK, with the start of MLB Spring Training and the start of the College Baseball season, I am feeling generous. So, to celebrate, I am going to throw out a trivia question. The first correct response will win 5 randomly selected autographs from my collection. Here goes:

I am a fan of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill baseball team, which set an ACC record with its fourth consecutive appearance at the College World Series in Omaha last year. UNC has a long and proud history of having players drafted in the MLB draft and going on to having successful careers in the Major Leagues. Name for me the first graduate of UNC to play in the Major Leagues. As a bonus, give me the total number of games that this player played in the Majors.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Brian Moehler (312 major league games) - but there had to have been someone earlier than that.
    sigpic
    Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
    Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

I don't know if he graduated or not but Bob Lawson played for the Tarheels from 1897 to 1899 and played 13 games in the Majors in 1901 and 1902.

The most successful player was probably B.J. Surhoff.

Comment

Haha... just looked it up. Bob Lawson (13 games) is correct... Moonlight Graham was the second... interesting.
        sigpic
        Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
        Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

Utter Chaos is correct with Bob Lawson, who latter earned his medical degree after his baseball career and was a long-time physician and professor at the University of North Carolina.

If Utter Chaos will PM me their address, I will get something in the mail for you soon. Thanks for playing and look for future trivia contests.

Comment

I met a kid at Rockies ST last year named Jay Cox. He was drafted by the Rox a few years ago and had a standout year in the Minors in 2009. I didn't have any of his cards on me, so Jay's dad actually took down my address and sent a couple signed cards a few weeks later. Jay played at UNC and was a star player there - I hope he makes it huge in the Bigs!
            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X