• Show
Clear All

• Topps signs deal with USA Baseball

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 3, 2010
    Contact: Jake Fehling – [email protected], (919) 474-8721 x225

USA BASEBALL AND TOPPS ANNOUNCE DEAL MAKING TOPPS
    THE OFFICIAL BASEBALL CARD OF USA BASEBALL
    Exclusive, multi-year agreement reunites former partners from 1984 - 1993

(DURHAM, N.C.) – USA Baseball and the Topps Company, the leading creator and marketer of sports cards, today announced an exclusive multi-year licensing deal to make Topps the Official Baseball Card of USA Baseball. Topps will have exclusivity on USA Baseball trademarks, logos and other intellectual property, for use on cards featuring USA Baseball players.

From 1984-1993 Topps was the exclusive card manufacturer for USA Baseball, producing cards for the U.S. Olympic Baseball Team. The new agreement calls for cards, autographs and game-used equipment of USA Baseball’s Collegiate, 18U and 16U National Team players to be featured in a variety of Topps products each year.

“Twenty-five years after collectors were first introduced to USA Baseball, our organization is pleased to have Topps, the industry leader, return as the exclusive home for USA Baseball trading cards,” said Paul Seiler, USA Baseball Executive Director/CEO. “We look forward to working closely with Topps as together we provide collectors with a look at the future of America’s game on trading cards.”

“Now we’re the only trading card licensed by Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball and USA Baseball,” said Warren Friss, Vice President – General Manager of Topps Sports and Entertainment. “We are covering the game of baseball at every level.”

Each year USA Baseball selects close to 60 of the best young baseball players in the country to its National Teams, giving collectors the first opportunity to see the future stars of baseball on cards. The first product release with USA Baseball content will be 2010 Bowman Baseball which will be released in May and feature cards of the 2009 Collegiate National Team and 2009 18U National Team.

In addition to the Topps sets featuring USA Baseball inserts, the annual USA Baseball National Teams Box Set will also be manufactured by Topps and will continue to be the exclusive place to get all members of the USA Baseball National Team in one set. The box set is scheduled for a December release in 2010 and in each of the remaining years of the agreement.
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Originally posted by SDL View Post
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 3, 2010
    Contact: Jake Fehling – [email protected], (919) 474-8721 x225

USA BASEBALL AND TOPPS ANNOUNCE DEAL MAKING TOPPS
    THE OFFICIAL BASEBALL CARD OF USA BASEBALL
    Exclusive, multi-year agreement reunites former partners from 1984 - 1993

(DURHAM, N.C.) – “Now we’re the only trading card licensed by Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball and USA Baseball,” said Warren Friss, Vice President – General Manager of Topps Sports and Entertainment.

In addition to the Topps sets featuring USA Baseball inserts, the annual USA Baseball National Teams Box Set will also be manufactured by Topps and will continue to be the exclusive place to get all members of the USA Baseball National Team in one set.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you...e_belong_to_us
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

OOOOOOK...

Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
        OOOOOOK...

Am I missing something here?
        The whole "resistance is futile" thing, good luck with Topps' quality with that monopoly
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

I'm going to agree with RMB here. Upper Deck was really doing a terrific job with the UD USA sets and you knew you'd get a bunch of autographs as well as a complete base set that looks really nice. I bought one and not only did I get some awesome autographs and GU cards, but also a really, really nice base set with individual cards for the National Team, 18U National Team, and even 16U National Team. I'm planning on buying a second one I like the first so much, with an eye towards TTM. You think Topps is going to do all that, though?
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
          -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I am excited about this offering of baseball cards. Topps provides the utmost in quality and I expect USA baseball cards to be no different. I hope this year's cards are as great as USA baseball cards have ever been.
            Baseball cards, sports cards & My Baseball Card Space website are my favorite hobbies.

Comment

"I hope this year's cards are as great as USA baseball cards have ever been."

Actually, Upper Deck already produced this year's set. To see Topps' USA products, you'll have to wait until 2011.

"I am excited about this offering of baseball cards. Topps provides the utmost in quality and I expect USA baseball cards to be no different."

Here, lemme fix that for you...

"I'm bummed about this offering of 'baseball cards.' Topps provides limited quality, has a huge range of uncorrected errors, and their only quality control goes into Bowman cards. I expect USA to be no different than the crummy regular issue."

Monopolies are not good things...especially when the manufacturer has been making sub-par cards since 2006. The Topps you knew in the 1980's and 1990's, while they may have overproduced everything under the sun, was still the best outside of 1989 Upper Deck. But this isn't the same Topps...their quality has gone way down.
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I'd like to see Topps re-issue the '84 Olympic Team set as well as put out cards of former Team USA Members, including Randy Johnson, who I believe was initially on that '84 Team but did not make the final Olympic roster, as well as a set of the '67 Pan-Am team...the last USA squad to win the Pan-Ams.

Comment

Originally posted by mybaseballcardspace View Post
                  I am excited about this offering of baseball cards. Topps provides the utmost in quality and I expect USA baseball cards to be no different. I hope this year's cards are as great as USA baseball cards have ever been.
                  Thank you, Mr. Ryan O'Hara

Comment

Yeah, so is anyone else worried about the baseball card insdustry? It's always been made up of poorly managed companies that can't get out of their own way, but it seems to have accelerated this year. MLB saw Topps' big Mickey Mouse Money check and went along for the ride. Now, we have an unlicensed card company (UD) and a monopoly. The "problem" this was supposed to fix was too many sets on the market. It'll do nothing to lower the number of sets available. A straight up power grab / money grab by Topps / MLB.

I haven't bought any 2010 product yet. Someone told me they went to Target and it was $4.99 for a 14 card RETAIL pack of Topps Heritage. $5 for a pack of cards at Target? Good luck with that!
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post

I haven't bought any 2010 product yet. Someone told me they went to Target and it was $4.99 for a 14 card RETAIL pack of Topps Heritage. $5 for a pack of cards at Target? Good luck with that!
                      The rack packs are that

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                        The rack packs are that
                        Yes and that's all I've seen thus far. The $2.99 retail packs will show up sometime sooner than later.
                        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

"I'd like to see Topps re-issue the '84 Olympic Team set as well as put out cards of former Team USA Members, including Randy Johnson, who I believe was initially on that '84 Team but did not make the final Olympic roster, as well as a set of the '67 Pan-Am team...the last USA squad to win the Pan-Ams."

Actually, Upper Deck did that in 2004 regarding the '84 team. Nobody's done the '67 Pan-Am Team, though.

"It's always been made up of poorly managed companies that can't get out of their own way, but it seems to have accelerated this year."

The sad irony is that UD and Donruss were really shaping up when Topps got their monopoly...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X