X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gr8Beldini
    replied
    Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Did you consider putting together the 1964 team set, then adding indiividual cards from 1965 for players that are missing from the 1964 team set? Or vice-versa.
    That drives me crazy. Personally I'd want one season's cards or the other. Thats why I prefer the team sets from the year following. I'd just add Keane (Yankees) and Craig (Reds) to the 65 Cardinals set and have the entire championship team from the same set. Besides, Keane and Craig are not wearing hats from NY & Cin in the 65 set. Will display nicer than the 64 cards will although the Brock and Uecker cards from 65 are high #'s and somewhat expensive. Keep in mind I'm just offering my preference. Buy what you think you'de like.

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Did you consider putting together the 1964 team set, then adding indiividual cards from 1965 for players that are missing from the 1964 team set? Or vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• NateMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
    You also might want to consider collecting the 1965 Topps Cardinals team set. Those will show all of the players on the 64 team. The '64 set, Brock is on the Cubs, Shannon shares a rookie card w/ another player, Broglio is w/ the Cardinals, etc. The '65 team set (along with the team card) gets it right for the most part, with the biggest exception being Johnny Keane, who managed the team in '64 but is correctly listed as a Yankee in '65. I perfer my 1970 Mets team set to the 1969. Same thing with my 1969 Tigers team set... displays nicer than the 1968 cards.
    Yeah, I've gone back and forth with this one. 1965 has Brock, but not Broglio (obviously, since they were infamously traded for each other). The '65 set also has Roger Craig with the Reds. It's a tough call. I may change my mind and go with '65. It's tough. When I gave my dad a displayed set of his favorite Orioles team, I went with 1984 instead of the championship team of 1983 for reasons similar to the ones you mentioned.

Anybody else want to weigh in on this one? What would you do?

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Beldini
    replied
    Originally posted by NateMan View Post
    I would like to collect the Topps set of the 1964 St. Louis Cardinals, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. On ebay I couldn't find anyone selling the team set, and buying one card from this seller and another card from that seller would end up costing a fortune in shipping. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I don't live near any good collectibles stores, so I'm relying on the Internet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    You also might want to consider collecting the 1965 Topps Cardinals team set. Those will show all of the players on the 64 team. The '64 set, Brock is on the Cubs, Shannon shares a rookie card w/ another player, Broglio is w/ the Cardinals, etc. The '65 team set (along with the team card) gets it right for the most part, with the biggest exception being Johnny Keane, who managed the team in '64 but is correctly listed as a Yankee in '65. I perfer my 1970 Mets team set to the 1969. Same thing with my 1969 Tigers team set... displays nicer than the 1968 cards.

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by NateMan View Post
    That's a great story! My dad grew up in Northeast Arkansas and was a huge Cardinals fan (they were the nearest team). The 1964 team was his favorite, so I'm thinking Christmas present--it'll probably take me that long to collect them. Plus I'd like to get as many signed as I can.

So you've seriously got all the Topps Yankees teams up to 1980???
    Glad you enjoyed the story, that 1964 Cards team was great. And yes, i seriously do have all the Topps Yankees up to 1980 (then about 90% from 1980-2010 of the base cards), and that includes the special cards too like All Star, League Leaders, World Series, multiple-player cards, etc. Its something i am really proud of. I also have a ton of non-Topps Yankees cards from the early 1900's (tobacco cards) all the way up thru the present. Anyway, i bet your dad would LOVE the 1964 team as a gift, thats neat!!

In fact, if you want to check out my collection, i just posted it on the Ebay forum. Its a 30-page (approx) thread, and you can skip the words and just look at my whole collection from old thru current. Go into Ebay (no need to be a member or to log on), hit Community, then Discussion Forums, then Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum, then look for a thread (probably on page 2 or 3) that has a title like Scans of Yankees Cards.....
    Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NateMan
    replied
    Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Try to buy as many cards as you can each dealer on Ebay to get combined shipping. Try Bill Hendersons Beckett store or Ebay store. Check out the website teamsets4u.com.

It may be more expensive, but to me its way more fun to collect a team by buying individual cards instead of just buying an entire team set. I have put together every Topps Yankees card from 1951 to 1980 doing it this way, and all the Yankees Bowmans from 1948-1955 also. Really fun this way.

I bet you want the 1964 Cards because they beat the Yankees in the world series that year! I met Bob Gibson at a card show and got him to autograph a ball, and i told him he broke my heart when he beat my Yankees, and he looked at me with those piercing eyes and said "Somebody had to".
    That's a great story! My dad grew up in Northeast Arkansas and was a huge Cardinals fan (they were the nearest team). The 1964 team was his favorite, so I'm thinking Christmas present--it'll probably take me that long to collect them. Plus I'd like to get as many signed as I can.

So you've seriously got all the Topps Yankees teams up to 1980???

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Try to buy as many cards as you can each dealer on Ebay to get combined shipping. Try Bill Hendersons Beckett store or Ebay store. Check out the website teamsets4u.com.

It may be more expensive, but to me its way more fun to collect a team by buying individual cards instead of just buying an entire team set. I have put together every Topps Yankees card from 1951 to 1980 doing it this way, and all the Yankees Bowmans from 1948-1955 also. Really fun this way.

I bet you want the 1964 Cards because they beat the Yankees in the world series that year! I met Bob Gibson at a card show and got him to autograph a ball, and i told him he broke my heart when he beat my Yankees, and he looked at me with those piercing eyes and said "Somebody had to".
    Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 03-15-2010, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ipitch
    replied
    Try Sportlots. The shipping charges are usually cheaper than on ebay.
    http://www.sportlots.com

Leave a comment:

• NateMan
    started a topic advice on collecting 1964 Cardinals

advice on collecting 1964 Cardinals

I would like to collect the Topps set of the 1964 St. Louis Cardinals, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. On ebay I couldn't find anyone selling the team set, and buying one card from this seller and another card from that seller would end up costing a fortune in shipping. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I don't live near any good collectibles stores, so I'm relying on the Internet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X