Stephen Strasburg Rookie card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Strasburg Rookie card?

I've been seeing several minor league and US Olympic cards for Stephen Strasburg. I'm just wondering which ones could be considered a decent investment?

I bought a couple on Ebay for a decent price, they're called "prospect Reserves".

I'm looking to get in on the ground floor on this stuff, but there are are so many variations, it's confusing.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...oth67/Stra.jpg
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM.
    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

If you are looking to collect cards as an investment, you will need to go after cards that are much more rare that the cards you are talking about. You will need to go after the 1/1 cards or the cards that are limited to a few hundred, not several thousand.

Comment

I can't imagine a card for a player as hyped as Strasburg being a good investment unless it's incredibly rare and you can get lucky and pull it from a pack. There have been players with this much hype before. I wonder how much this card: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardI...54/091/06F.jpg is worth nowadays.

Comment

"I bought a couple on Ebay for a decent price, they're called "prospect Reserves"."

Ah, GTC. The Rob Broder Rookies of the 2000's (anyone else remember Rob Broder's sets?). I'd just try and get autographs on 'em.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
          I've been seeing several minor league and US Olympic cards for Stephen Strasburg. I'm just wondering which ones could be considered a decent investment? [/IMG]
          There is no such thing as a current rookie that would be a decent investment. Buy the card because you would enjoy the card and like the idea of having this player's rookie card. Don't (repeat, don't) buy it with the intention of making money on it. Current hot rookies are always overpriced, always very expensive and rarely (very rarely) justify that initial expense, hence making it a bad investment. By comparison, check out what nice rookie cards of Gary Carter, Dave Winfield, Andre Dawson, Jim Rice, Eddie Murray etc would cost you, compared to what you'de need to pay for Strasburg, or Matt Weiters last year, Alex Gordon the year before that, Delmon Young the year before that...
          "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
          "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

Good point. I'd actually say that if you wanted to invest in someone who is currently playing, do it with a card or player that no one in the hobby is paying attention to. For example, if you bought a bunch of Olympic autographed cards before anyone really knew who was who, that would be pretty good. Then, when the player gets drafted and value inevitably spikes, you get rid of the card.
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
              Good point. I'd actually say that if you wanted to invest in someone who is currently playing, do it with a card or player that no one in the hobby is paying attention to. For example, if you bought a bunch of Olympic autographed cards before anyone really knew who was who, that would be pretty good. Then, when the player gets drafted and value inevitably spikes, you get rid of the card.
              Dude... you probably know this already but in case you didn't... Steve Dalkowski has a Topps card (1963 Rookie Stars). Pictured with 3 other guys. Tough scarce series card but cool underpriced card of a Baseball legend. Even cooler is Steve's stat line on the reverse.
              "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
              "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

You can probably clean up on Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor rookies right about now!

And I have a feeling that after this season, Joba Chamberlains cards are going to be pretty cheap.
                Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

"Steve Dalkowski has a Topps card (1963 Rookie Stars). Pictured with 3 other guys. Tough scarce series card but cool underpriced card of a Baseball legend. Even cooler is Steve's stat line on the reverse. "

I have eleven examples of that card, actually, including a PSA-8 and am looking for an elusive PSA-9 (two known). I also have all of the Obak parallels except for the 1/1 mini.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X