X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pack Searcher Caught in the Act

Wow, this is pathetic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...aining-content

I've come across guys at Target that were feeling up the packs, but the scale takes it to another level.
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

What did I say about nuts using powder measure scales occassionally? You thought I was making that up? Like I said, I don't really care about feeling down packs since it's so imprecise (almost impossible) with autographed cards. But to the guys who bring scales or calipers, well...get a life.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Thats it, RMB has got to be stopped, hes taken it too far!
      Last edited by Cubsfan97; 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
        Thats it, RMB has got to be stopped, hes taken it too far!
        That depends upon what the meaning of "is" is
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Not sure If I should admit this. But, sometime last year I read that packs with GU weigh abit more than normal packs. So, I was a little curious to see if that was the case. I went into my local Target and grabbed a bunch of paks, It turns out that Target sells digital scales that are meant for weighing food. It weighs in ounces. So, I opened the box and weighed about 6 packs right there in the aisle and what do you know. A few weighed a few ounces more. So, I bought the 6 packs and opened them at home. The packs that weighed a little more just had those security things in them. None of the 6 packs had any GU in them. Oh, Well. To do this out in the open was not very smart and when I did it there where not many people in the store.
          How many store employees do you think have any idea what that kid was doing. Even if they did know. As long as the packs where paid for. They wouldn't care
          I have never tried it again and that is the honest truth.
          Last edited by howiek; 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM.
          sigpic
          As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
          164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
          http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
          Check out my new Blog
          www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

The thought of it never even occurred to me. Its clever, but kinda like a new steroid clever, very frowned upon. I dont mind pack searching, thats kinda like liftin weights to get better, but even pack searchin isnt the easiest thing, Ive tried, and couldnt do it. But any bozo can weight packs of cards. Thats no fun for anyone. I hope he didnt get anything good.
            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by howiek View Post
              Not sure If I should admit this. But, sometime last year I read that packs with GU weigh abit more than normal packs. So, I was a little curious to see if that was the case. I went into my local Target and grabbed a bunch of paks, It turns out that Target sells digital scales that are meant for weighing food. It weighs in ounces. So, I opened the box and weighed about 6 packs right there in the aisle and what do you know. A few weighed a few ounces more. So, I bought the 6 packs and opened them at home. The packs that weighed a little more just had those security things in them. None of the 6 packs had any GU in them. Oh, Well. To do this out in the open was not very smart and when I did it there where not many people in the store.
              How many store employees do you think have any idea what that kid was doing. Even if they did know. As long as the packs where paid for. They wouldn't care
              I have never tried it again and that is the honest truth.
              We're sending the guillotine over now
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

"It turns out that Target sells digital scales that are meant for weighing food. It weighs in ounces."

Most experienced guys will use a powder measure or something used by a pharmacist. Much more precise. Also, they'll have generally opened at least one box worth of cards before weighing every pack. That way, they can measure the weight of packs with nothing, packs with fillers, packs with GU cards, and packs with autographs, record them, and compare to doing that at whatever retail store they weigh the packs at.
                "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                  "It turns out that Target sells digital scales that are meant for weighing food. It weighs in ounces."

Most experienced guys will use a powder measure or something used by a pharmacist. Much more precise. Also, they'll have generally opened at least one box worth of cards before weighing every pack. That way, they can measure the weight of packs with nothing, packs with fillers, packs with GU cards, and packs with autographs, record them, and compare to doing that at whatever retail store they weigh the packs at.
                  You know an AWFUL LOT about this

Comment

"You know an AWFUL LOT about this"

Heh. Before you get any ideas that I was dumb enough to do this, I was actually told this stuff by my former boss in order to help prevent it. I felt down packs, but then came that incident where I felt down a jersey card and missed out on an autograph in 2005 Upper Deck. I've never felt down to buy since.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                      I felt down packs,
                      I never do this without at least buying the pack a drink. If it's a really nice pack, maybe dinner...
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                        I never do this without at least buying the pack a drink. If it's a really nice pack, maybe dinner...
                        Apparently there's more going on in the aisles than that picture captured :ooo:

Comment

Well as long as we can keep Baseball Card Collecting PG-13, everything will be ok!
                          -Rogers Hornsby-

-Rogers Hornsby-

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
                            Well as long as we can keep Baseball Card Collecting PG-13, everything will be ok!
                            I heard that Mike & Dalkowski have a love affair with cards, but I had no idea . . .

Comment

For what was supposed to be a serious thread about a touchy subject, I've seen some of the funniest comments I've read on this site this year.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X