Went to a card show Saturday.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to a card show Saturday.......

Went to the only decent show down here, a once-a-month show in the Dania Jai Palace (first saturday of the month), and picked up 2 Yankee items.

One is a 1969 Mantle decal. Notice how since this is the end of his career, it has first base listed as his position.

The other is a 1938 small metal pin still on its original cardboard backing of Red Ruffing. You can find these with and without the cardboard backing, and in my opinion, they are much nicer with that backing.

Yes, two more Yankees items. Love those Yankees.

Here are the items:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/t...6-cardshow.jpg
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Get A Life, Man! One that is Non-Yankees Related!

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      Get A Life, Man! One that is Non-Yankees Related!
      ha ha ha ha - when it comes to actually buying individual cards, its Yankees only. The only time i buy non-Yankee cards is when i buy a box of the new cards and open it, and then i decide which non-Yankee cards i like and want to keep in my albums.

However, you may get your wish soon. My Yankees collection has gotten so strong (from the early 1900's thru current) that almost everything thats left that i dont already have and i want now is so expensive that i may start working on the 1956 and 1957 Topps sets in VG condition, and if i do, i will be buying all teams - even Phillies!!!!!! LOL
      I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
        i may start working on the 1956 and 1957 Topps sets in VG condition, and if i do, i will be buying all teams - even Phillies!!!!!! LOL
        Complete '56 & '57 Topps original sets - Too rich for my blood and the same would hold true for over 99% of the posters on this Forum. Try the 1948-1954 Bowman & Topps Reprint Sets. They'll save you a bundle and they'll be in MINT condition..

Comment

Went to the only decent show down here, a once-a-month show in the Dania Jai Palace (first saturday of the month), and picked up 2 Yankee items.

One is a 1969 Mantle decal. Notice how since this is the end of his career, it has first base listed as his position.

The other is a 1938 small metal pin still on its original cardboard backing of Red Ruffing. You can find these with and without the cardboard backing, and in my opinion, they are much nicer with that backing.

Yes, two more Yankees items. Love those Yankees.

Here are the items:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/t...6-cardshow.jpg
          Actually, the Red Ruffing pin sounds kind of cool. Check Ruffing's stats sometime. Off to a horrible start, he was below the .500 mark lifetime for the first two-thirds to three-quarters of his career. One of the most amazing statistical turnarounds in the history of baseball or any other sport!

P.S.: "I ain't no bad guy" (to quote a song lyric), but Yankees fans constant bragging can get to me from time to time.
          -Dennis/philliesfiend55-

Comment

Complete '56 & '57 Topps original sets - Too rich for my blood and the same would hold true for over 99% of the posters on this Forum. Try the 1948-1954 Bowman & Topps Reprint Sets. They'll save you a bundle and they'll be in MINT condition..
            Reprints dont interest me in the least. I would rather not have a card than have a reprint. Nothing wrong with reprints for those who like them, we all like different things, but they arent for me.

I dont intend to complete the sets, but i can have fun obtaining the commons and affordable stars that i like. It would be just something fun to do, those are my 2 alltime favorite sets, and i would just like to build up a bunch of my favorite cards from those two sets.

Yankee fans bragging can be done two ways, obnoxious or proud. I am proud of what the Yankees have done over the years, and i try not to be obnoxious about it. When i do get obnoxious about it, i am usually kidding and having fun with someone. But hey, you gotta admit, our history is the best!!!! LOL
            Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 06-06-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Nice pickups, dabigyankeeman. I'm not much of a fan of reprints, either, unless I'm trying to get 'em autographed and the original happens to be too cost-prohibitive. This is especially true if I'm sending them TTM. . . much better to lose a reprint than a nice vintage card.

Even though I hate the Yankees, two of my most prized possessions are Yankee-related; a photo of me and Phil Rizzuto and one of me and Yogi Berra. Both came out great.

Comment

Originally posted by CorduroyCalves View Post
                Even though I hate the Yankees, two of my most prized possessions are Yankee-related; a photo of me and Phil Rizzuto and one of me and Yogi Berra. Both came out great.
                Those sound great!!!

Comment

Reprints dont interest me in the least. I would rather not have a card than have a reprint. Nothing wrong with reprints for those who like them, we all like different things, but they arent for me.

I am proud of what the Yankees have done over the years, and i try not to be obnoxious about it. When i do get obnoxious about it, i am usually kidding and having fun with someone. But hey, you gotta admit, our history is the best!!!! LOL
                  I'll bet you own one of those "NY Yankees - 27 Worlds Championships - Do The Math" Tee-shirts.

Comment

I'll bet you own one of those "NY Yankees - 27 Worlds Championships - Do The Math" Tee-shirts.
                    ha ha ha, as i sit here typing this, i am wearing a tee shirt with the 2009 World Series logo on it and the shirt says "27-Times World Series Champions".

But my wife gave me the shirt.........

Comment

Wow, that pin is really cool. I dont know of any shows around here, but if there were, Id definitely be there!

BTW, Im collecting 1959 Topps. It really isnt as bad as some would think, unless they want the top quality cards. Ill buy the cheapest if it still looks decent. Only ones Ima have to pay good money for are Gibson and Mantle.
                      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

1959 is a nice set, a lot of neat special cards that year. Mantle is always bucks in any condition, particularly the oldest ones, but the Gibson can be found affordable if you have patience. I got one by just constantly watching Ebay and finally getting an off-center one at a good price (dont remember what the price was as this was quite awhile ago, but i remember i was surprised at it). Good luck with that great old set, enjoy.

Thanks for the comment on the pin, i thought it was really neat too when the dealer showed it to me. I like it too as its thin and will slip right into a pocket in one of my card albums so its easy to display. I dont like to get things that have to sit around in a drawer or box, i want it either in an album or have it be a display piece on a shelf or on a wall.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X