Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any tips for getting autographs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any tips for getting autographs?

Calling all autograph collectors...

I've started collecting earlier this month and have about 20 autographs now. I've looked on this site and I know there are plenty of seasoned experts in the field of autographs. I think it'd be very helpful for other beginners like me and even intermediate and expert collectors if everyone gave their tips and stratagies.

These can be on several different parts of auto collecting such as TTM, in person, and trading. For example, do you have any feedback from players on the best way to ask for an auto? Do you have a secret for trading with other dealers? Is there a certain way you package your cards? What's the best way to get closer to the players? Where are the best places for autographs at games? If you can provide any tips you have, it'd be great (even if you think nobody will use them or everybody already knows them, you never know.)

The tips can range from basic ones for starters or meticulous aspects for veterans.

Thanks in advance.

I'll start off.

For collectors who are just starting: make sure you bring more than index cards or paper to a game or send more than that if you're doing it TTM. There are many guys who don't sign index cards or paper because they don't want people using their name for the wrong reasons such as false advertising and identity theft.

I read a book called Yes! 50 Ways to Be Persuasive, and I learned a few tips from there:

1. If you have any extra cards or can help a player in any way, offer to do it! People are much more likely to comply with your request if you offer to do them a favor first.

2. I always write: "I heard you were a nice guy, so could you sign these cards for me please?", because according to research, people are more likely to behave a certain way when they're told that's how they act.

3. Point out similarities! A research team sent out surveys that had a researcher's name on it. Half of the names were similar to the recepient (for example, if the recepient was Charles Jones, the team might put the researcher's name as Carly Johnson). The other half had names that weren't similar. The result? The surveys with similar names had a success rate double that of the non-similar names.

Comment

Originally posted by Utter Chaos, the Kid View Post
      Calling all autograph collectors...

I've started collecting earlier this month and have about 20 autographs now. I've looked on this site and I know there are plenty of seasoned experts in the field of autographs. I think it'd be very helpful for other beginners like me and even intermediate and expert collectors if everyone gave their tips and stratagies.

These can be on several different parts of auto collecting such as TTM, in person, and trading. For example, do you have any feedback from players on the best way to ask for an auto? Do you have a secret for trading with other dealers? Is there a certain way you package your cards? What's the best way to get closer to the players? Where are the best places for autographs at games? If you can provide any tips you have, it'd be great (even if you think nobody will use them or everybody already knows them, you never know.)

The tips can range from basic ones for starters or meticulous aspects for veterans.

Thanks in advance.
      I hope more people can help with this thread including spring training tips from camp to camp wise. I am just getting into it myself so I can not offer much assistance of as yet. I hope to contribute to this thread in the upcoming future.

Comment

There are lots of threads on here that can help you out. Try searching for ttm tips/help or ip tips/help etc. There are lots of people here who have posted great tips. Ill give you a few here but I think your best bet is a search because people get tired of posting the same tips over and over.

Just so you know, I mostly collect baseballs and autographs. I do my fair collecting of cards but I don't really do ttm unless its a player I'm pretty interested in and have seen recent returns. I know quite a bit about all of it though. But not nearly as much as a lot of other people on here. If you read through some posts, you'll notice a few users do mostly ttm or mostly ip and you can ask them for more specific tips.

What I do at games is get there about 30 minutes before gates open. You can find out when gates open by looking on the stadiums website. It is typically 1.5-2.5 hours before the game starts. When I get there I stand in the outfield because I'm trying to get baseballs. But at most stadiums you can go down to the front of the stands on the foul lines if you want to get autos. Get as close to the dugout as you can. Some stadiums won't let you near the dugouts without a ticket. Just get as close as you can and wait for players to come out. When I get autos I bring cards of the players, baseballs, hats/jerseys if I have them and a team program. I have found a program or a media guide is a good way to be able to get all of the players autos. They can either sign on their profile page or on the cover.

I bring a roster of both teams with me to the game. Go to gamedayrosters.com and it will be a great help. This way you know all of the players even if you don't really know them. Always ask by using their names. I just first names or mr.____ if I feel that would work better. Always say please and thank you. Don't be shy. Talk to them as they sign your items so they don't feel like you are using them just for an auto.

There are tons of great tips on this site if you just search. I know I have typed a few times lots of tips on getting baseballs and autos either at spring training or at Turner Field.
        I collect any and all Braves cards and memorabilia. I also collect baseballs and Pre-1060's Topps cards.
        Trusted traders - Rpollard86, duckydps, Mike D., Rockhound, Drillbit

Comment

Don't know your age but my son had no problems getting players autographs before the game or after near the exit when he was between ages 8 and 12. It seemed that the players were happier signing for children. After he became a teen it was more difficult for him to get autographs. The adults closest to the kids also were able to get signatures more readily just from being in close proximatey to the kids. He always had a roster too, because some players are obscure today (may be stars tomorrow you never know). So be friendly, be fairly near kids without being creepy of course and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by xholdourownx View Post
            There are lots of threads on here that can help you out. Try searching for ttm tips/help or ip tips/help etc. There are lots of people here who have posted great tips. Ill give you a few here but I think your best bet is a search because people get tired of posting the same tips over and over.

Just so you know, I mostly collect baseballs and autographs. I do my fair collecting of cards but I don't really do ttm unless its a player I'm pretty interested in and have seen recent returns. I know quite a bit about all of it though. But not nearly as much as a lot of other people on here. If you read through some posts, you'll notice a few users do mostly ttm or mostly ip and you can ask them for more specific tips.

What I do at games is get there about 30 minutes before gates open. You can find out when gates open by looking on the stadiums website. It is typically 1.5-2.5 hours before the game starts. When I get there I stand in the outfield because I'm trying to get baseballs. But at most stadiums you can go down to the front of the stands on the foul lines if you want to get autos. Get as close to the dugout as you can. Some stadiums won't let you near the dugouts without a ticket. Just get as close as you can and wait for players to come out. When I get autos I bring cards of the players, baseballs, hats/jerseys if I have them and a team program. I have found a program or a media guide is a good way to be able to get all of the players autos. They can either sign on their profile page or on the cover.

I bring a roster of both teams with me to the game. Go to gamedayrosters.com and it will be a great help. This way you know all of the players even if you don't really know them. Always ask by using their names. I just first names or mr.____ if I feel that would work better. Always say please and thank you. Don't be shy. Talk to them as they sign your items so they don't feel like you are using them just for an auto.

There are tons of great tips on this site if you just search. I know I have typed a few times lots of tips on getting baseballs and autos either at spring training or at Turner Field.
            I figured that. I've tried searching before but I wasn't able to find any. I tried browsing the section but I couldn't get very far (only a couple pages). I thought that was it, but I guess that's just the most recent stuff and the other pages you have to search for? I'll try searching again.

Comment

Its a learning curve as you go, but there are a few things that seem to be constants:

1) Pitchers and catchers almost always seem to sign TTM...the older player especially.
              2) I always mention "family" in the letters...like "I tell my son that all the players are equal because of the sacrifices that thier parents made to get them where they are, God Bless the Smith Family"
              3) Share the hobby with family memeber or friend(s), networking is a great way to increase the collection. I have two simply awesome friends in the hobby that we freely exchange autographs will. I might get 10 sig's in a week but the two friends may have gotten 10 each also, so 30 for thw eek in not uncommon.
              4) Watch for returns...then send to that player. Its a good way to keep the percentage rate high.
              5) Work from sets...i.e 2000 Topps, players born in your state, players that share your birthdate, your last name, pitchers that have thrown no-hitters, 1st and 2nd Round Draft picks, ETC...it makes it more fun to complete the set and makes in easier to manage.
              6) Vary your send out material...cards and photos and ask player to keep on for his collection.
              7) Have fun
              Family Autograph Thread
              http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

Spring Traiing Tips

The best place to get a team by team tips for Spring Training is www.springtrainingtips.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X