Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not allowed to bring cards to an appearance?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not allowed to bring cards to an appearance?

    The four Oakley stores in malls located here in Tampa Bay and Orlando are having player appearances this week. Jose Bautista, David Wells, the Upton brothers and Phil Coke. The ad for the signing states that you can "choose between a free baseball and a free poster (to be signed)...."no outside items will be signed." I have yet to understand the logic behind that.
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

  • #2
    Do the balls & posters have any advertising or logos of the stores on them?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Macker View Post
      Do the balls & posters have any advertising or logos of the stores on them?
      The ad doesn't say. I;m going to assume that at least the posters do,
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        I've seen this before...someone sponsored the signing, and they'll only allow the particular card/poster they supply (with their logo on it) to be signed.

        Saw it a few years back at a minor league stadium where Mike Schmidt was signing...he'd only sign the small poster for whatever "old men need help peeing" medicine sponsored the event.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm tempted to go to one of them..bring a card and if the store says something, say somewhat loudly "Well I WAS going to buy a pair of sunglasses but you just lost a sale" then see how fast they apologize.
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SDL View Post
            I'm tempted to go to one of them..bring a card and if the store says something, say somewhat loudly "Well I WAS going to buy a pair of sunglasses but you just lost a sale" then see how fast they apologize.
            Why would they apologioze to someone who thinks they're above clearly-defined rules? They'd probably point out locations where the folks who think they're too special can get over themselves.

            Book signings generally only offer the book being signed for signature. I've seen Johnny Bench pass along memorbilia after several reminders only the book would be signed. What makes people think the rules aren't applicable to them?
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SDL View Post
              I'm tempted to go to one of them..bring a card and if the store says something, say somewhat loudly "Well I WAS going to buy a pair of sunglasses but you just lost a sale" then see how fast they apologize.
              I think it's far more likely that you'll be shown the door.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                Why would they apologioze to someone who thinks they're above clearly-defined rules? They'd probably point out locations where the folks who think they're too special can get over themselves.

                Book signings generally only offer the book being signed for signature. I've seen Johnny Bench pass along memorbilia after several reminders only the book would be signed. What makes people think the rules aren't applicable to them?
                I agree, as long as it is advertised (as is the case). I don't agree, if you let people stand in line for two hours, or charge them $10 bucks to get in, and then and only then, tell them, "oh sorry, he can't sign your item".
                Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

                "Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by J.P View Post
                  I agree, as long as it is advertised (as is the case). I don't agree, if you let people stand in line for two hours, or charge them $10 bucks to get in, and then and only then, tell them, "oh sorry, he can't sign your item".
                  Yeah, if they charge AND say you can only get their item signed, that's lame. I totally understand if they're footing the bill, but if they're still charging you, that's not cool.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                    Yeah, if they charge AND say you can only get their item signed, that's lame. I totally understand if they're footing the bill, but if they're still charging you, that's not cool.
                    If at least they were charging, and letting the public know at the same time, that only their item can be signed, I understand too, but they were charging, and you only found out after you paid at the door, got inside and went up to the table!!!
                    Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                    Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                    Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

                    "Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by J.P View Post
                      If at least they were charging, and letting the public know at the same time, that only their item can be signed, I understand too, but they were charging, and you only found out after you paid at the door, got inside and went up to the table!!!
                      Yeah, that's the ultimate in bad.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        During Joey Votto's first season in Cincinnati, he was appearing at an AT&T Mobility retail location. They would not allow any outside cards and/or memorabilia. He would only sign cards that AT&T Mobility had printed for the event with their advertisement on the face. Believe it or not but there were ONLY probably 50 people there and that was it. After everyone had gotten through the line and he was just standing around talking to the store employees, I went back and asked since that the public part of the event was over, could he sign an outside item and they said no to that. I did get a photograph made with him as they were not only allowing it, they were encouraging it!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Retail stores and companies are now becoming less tolerant with people that want to cause a commotion or file a complaint in order to get something accomplished. We have some company executives that do not live in the real world and they might allow something like that to just make you go away but the people that really know what is going on in the trenches are not extremely tolerant to that. We have professional everything now...professional law suit filers, professional "accident people", professional complainers and that many times includes the people that are playing the "welfare" game and the "disability" game. Ten years ago that might have worked but companies are beginning to realize that people are "playing them" to get to a certain result. I have seen it in my profession where someone does not like the financial advice that they are provided and they want to complain even though most of the time, the original person was right on target.

                          Originally posted by SDL View Post
                          I'm tempted to go to one of them..bring a card and if the store says something, say somewhat loudly "Well I WAS going to buy a pair of sunglasses but you just lost a sale" then see how fast they apologize.
                          Last edited by icee82; 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The late great sports broadcaster Bob Wolff, who’s career
                            stretched back to the 1940s, wrote an amusing book entitled

                            “It’s Not Who Won or Lost the Game -
                            It’s How You Sold the Beer”

                            The title sums up BIG SPORTS...It’s NEVER been about
                            the game. It’s ALWAYS been about SELLING products.

                            Commercial TV of all sorts, commercial radio, commercial
                            print media, even THIS VERY WEBSITE, is about making
                            a buck FIRST and foremost. If anything amuses us, that’s
                            just and INCENTIVE to keep coming back for more.

                            Also, keep in mind that anyone who earns ANY kind of living
                            connected to sports MUST avoid biting the hand that feeds
                            them. Broadcasters and sports writers are well aware that it’s ALL BUSINESS, but must sell-out in order to keep their jobs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ^ IDK what that had to do with the actual point of the thread.

                              Everything was upfront, only the OP seemed to be affronted by the setup.

                              Seeing this now I want to add to the idea that it probably wasn’t JUST selling products, but just a case of moving things along with whatever line they’d have. Would you’d like to be the one at a retail shop waiting your turn in line while there are people ahead of you with a bunch of different items that were not on the advertised restricted list?
                              NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                              Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                              Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X