• 2014 IP Successes

Cuban Baseball event this past Saturday, all on cards:

Luis Tiant x2
    Yasiel Puig
    Jose Abreu
    Rene Arocha
    Luis Exposito
    Yadil Mujica

Also, in mid December I got Aroldis Chapman x 4.
    Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
    Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
    Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Took my oldest boy to Rockies FanFest last Saturday. Lots of cool things for the kids to do. We ended up getting autographs of Troy Tulowitzki and Vinny Castilla on NL balls. Got Justin Morneau on an AL ball, but he turned it and signed on the loop instead of the sweet spot. Not to sound ungrateful, but I would rather have had him sign a card (or nothing) instead of using up an AL ball. Oh well. We also got our photos taken with Castilla, Ellis Burks, and Josh Fogg. Good times overall.

Comment

The 2014 Atlanta Braves Caravan has come and gone and it was pretty weak. Many of the non-Atlanta stops were nothing more than a few up and comers mixed in with a coach or a former Brave. A couple of stops were even cancelled due to the snowy weather that hit the Peach State. If this is how things go with this tour, I would almost rather see the team go back to a single central fanfest in Atlanta where most of the big names attend.

This week I attended the annual Mercer University Baseball First Pitch Classic dinner with Pete Rose; an autograph session followed by a dinner (at 175 clams a pop). I have attended the previous three years, with John Smoltz, Chipper Jones and Dale Murphy and each time was very pleased with not only the speaker but the speech. Pete Rose however opened my eyes to the adage, "Never meet your heroes." I know Rose is full of himself but I could not imagine he was THAT full of himself. He gave a little talk (about himself) then took questions from the crowd. Every question he answered he was able to turn into a commentary on how great he is/was. In the previous years Smoltz, Jones and Murphy managed to keep the comments "PG" at worst (Murphy was "G" all the way) but Rose just spoke like he was in a locker room and yucked up the fact that he wouldn't even be there if he was not being paid.
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Looks like I'm the first STer here

@ the Phillies camp in Clearwater, All are 8 x 10 in size with black shapie

Ryne Sandberg Blowup of his 1992 Diet Pepsi card. Inscibed "HOF 05" under his sig.
        Phillippe Aumont Action shot of him with the Phillies and a Team Canada action shot from 2009 WBC.
        Pete Mackanin posed shot from his Texas Ranger days. Said from the smile on his face in the pic he must've gotten a hit that day
        Dickie Noles b/w Phillies promo head shot. He cracked up when he saw his old hairstyle. Agreed with me that it had Oscar Gamble potential but it never got that far.
        Noles.JPG
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
          Took my oldest boy to Rockies FanFest last Saturday. Lots of cool things for the kids to do. We ended up getting autographs of Troy Tulowitzki and Vinny Castilla on NL balls. Got Justin Morneau on an AL ball, but he turned it and signed on the loop instead of the sweet spot. Not to sound ungrateful, but I would rather have had him sign a card (or nothing) instead of using up an AL ball. Oh well. We also got our photos taken with Castilla, Ellis Burks, and Josh Fogg. Good times overall.
          That is very cool. I had the chance to meet Fogg a few years ago in Tucson when the Rox trained there. He is one of the nicest ballplayers I've met. How crowded was it there?
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

@ Phillies Camp

Cole Hamels 8 x 10 blowup of his Topps '11 card. B;ack Sharpie.

Comment

@ Phillies Camp. Black Sharpie.

Brad Lincoln: Three screenshots from the 2009 IBAF World Cup..all with Team USA
              Mickey Morandini: 8 x 10 blowup of his Topps '93 card.

Comment

@ Phillies camp. Black Sharpie

Reid Brignac: 8 x 10 blowups of his 2010 DAV card and his 2010 Topps Update card. Also signed a screenshot from the 2012 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                  That is very cool. I had the chance to meet Fogg a few years ago in Tucson when the Rox trained there. He is one of the nicest ballplayers I've met. How crowded was it there?
                  Yeah Fogg's a good guy. Took some time to talk to my son about baseball. I guess he's a special instructor at Rockies ST this season so I think I'm going to send him a 5x7 or 8x10 of the photo he took with us and ask him to sign it.

The crowds weren't too bad in the morning. I went in with a season ticket holder before the general public was let in and it wasn't too bad for the first hour or so. The lines for autographs weren't terrible, but you had to have a (free) ticket for each session. We lucked out with Tulo since he stayed around for an extra session. We skipped some of the other lines because. . . well, quite frankly, it wasn't worth the time spent to get some of those guys, and my son didn't want to wait around, either.

The coolest thing was the "garage sale" of closeout merchandise and ballpark-related items. I picked up a new fitted Rockies hat for $1, a game-used batting helmet for $10, and a 5' Chicago Cubs pennant/banner that flew over Coors Field in 2013 for $20. They were also selling Coors Field seats due to the renovation for a decent price but the wife put the kaibosh on getting any. I got there early enough and would have been able to grab a pair but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL View Post
                    Looks like I'm the first STer here

@ the Phillies camp in Clearwater, All are 8 x 10 in size with black shapie

Ryne Sandberg Blowup of his 1992 Diet Pepsi card. Inscibed "HOF 05" under his sig.
                    Phillippe Aumont Action shot of him with the Phillies and a Team Canada action shot from 2009 WBC.
                    Pete Mackanin posed shot from his Texas Ranger days. Said from the smile on his face in the pic he must've gotten a hit that day
                    Dickie Noles b/w Phillies promo head shot. He cracked up when he saw his old hairstyle. Agreed with me that it had Oscar Gamble potential but it never got that far.
                    [ATTACH]135780[/ATTACH]
                    Classic photo of Noles! Have you seen Roy Halladay around camp? I've heard he's helping out the Phils at spring training.
                    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

I haven't personally seen him (it's been a zoo there and some coaches wear jackets) but I've heard he has been seen but isn't signing.

Comment

Originally posted by 9&10 View Post
                        Yeah Fogg's a good guy. Took some time to talk to my son about baseball. I guess he's a special instructor at Rockies ST this season so I think I'm going to send him a 5x7 or 8x10 of the photo he took with us and ask him to sign it.

The crowds weren't too bad in the morning. I went in with a season ticket holder before the general public was let in and it wasn't too bad for the first hour or so. The lines for autographs weren't terrible, but you had to have a (free) ticket for each session. We lucked out with Tulo since he stayed around for an extra session. We skipped some of the other lines because. . . well, quite frankly, it wasn't worth the time spent to get some of those guys, and my son didn't want to wait around, either.

The coolest thing was the "garage sale" of closeout merchandise and ballpark-related items. I picked up a new fitted Rockies hat for $1, a game-used batting helmet for $10, and a 5' Chicago Cubs pennant/banner that flew over Coors Field in 2013 for $20. They were also selling Coors Field seats due to the renovation for a decent price but the wife put the kaibosh on getting any. I got there early enough and would have been able to grab a pair but oh well.
                        That's very cool - I need to catch one of those fanfests. The Rockies overall are a good signing team - I spent each spring from 2005-2010 at their practice fields and met pretty much all of them - a few of the guys even remembered our names. The garage sale sounds awesome!!! You guys made a great haul. The helmet would look fantastic with a few signatures signed in silver. Nice work man!
                        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

At the Phillies camp today. Both in black Sharpie

Charlie Kerfeld: 8 x 10 blowup of his '88 Topps card.

A.J. Burnett: 8 x 10 action shot from his Marlins days. Agreed with me that the new Marlins unis aren't that great.

Comment

At the MLB Alumni table @ Rays Fan Fest. All are 8 x 10s.

Craig Anderson: 1962 Topps facsimiile card, Blue Sharpie.
                            Jim Archer: KC Athletics color posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Glenn Beckert: Cubs posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Greg Blosser: Topps Coming Attraction '93. Black Sharpie
                            Carl Boles: Pic taken during a game, circa 1961. Blue rollerball.
                            Dave Cash: posed Pirate shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Billy DeMars: Posed Phillie pic. Blue Sharpie
                            Orestes Destrade: Topps Stadium Club '93. Blue Sharpie
                            Mike Devereaux: Braves action shot. Black Sharpie
                            Rich Folkers: Brewers head shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Ken Frailing: White Sox posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            John Frascatore: Diamondbacks action shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Wayne Garrett: Mets posed shot. Black Sharpie
                            Bill Hepler: The Wiz '91 card. Black Sharpie
                            Bruce Howard: Topps '68. Black rollerball
                            Tom Hume Topps '86. Blue Sharpie
                            Reggie Jefferson: Pinnacle '98. Black Sharpie
                            Eric Knott: Expos posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Steve Korcheck: Topps ‘60. Black Sharpie
                            Ron LeFlore: Expos posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Andy McGaffigan: Expos posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Bill Nahorodny: Topps '79. Blue Sharpie
                            John O’Donoghue: Indians posed shot. Black Sharpie
                            Jim Perry: Twins posed shot. Black Sharpie
                            Gary Peters: Red Sox posed shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Travis Phelps: Donruss Class Of 03. Blue Sharpie
                            Jason Romano: Dodgers action shot. Blue Rollerball.
                            Richie Scheinblum: Topps facsimile '73. Black Sharpie
                            Bob Stinson: Expos in-game shot. Black Rollerball
                            Anthony Telford: Expos head shot. Blue Sharpie
                            Rich Thompson: Rays screenshot from 2012, Blue rollerball
                            Mark Whiten: Cardinals action shot. Black Sharpie
                            Last edited by SDL; 02-22-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I made the ten hour drive to St. Petersburg for RaysFest. I received all of these at the alumni table at RaysFest. I was targeting certain people so I did not get everyone there. I really got some great quality as I was mainly targeting former Reds. It was also great meeting you SDL!!!

Dante Bichette 1/1 OMLB
                              Billy DeMars 2/2 OMLB and canvas print
                              Mike Devereaux 4/4
                              Tom Hume 5/5 OMLB, canvas print, and three cards
                              Reggie Jefferson 5/5 OMLB and four cards
                              Andy McGaffigan 3/3 OMLB, canvas print, and one card
                              Jim Perry 1/1
                              Jason Romano 1/1
                              Bob Stinson 1/1
                              Mark Whiten 3/3

I was surprised to see Rich Thompson there as I had cards on him but they were at home. Also did not expect Dante Bichette to show up. He only played in Cincinnati for one season but he is really tough to get.
                              Last edited by icee82; 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X