February TTM Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February TTM Thread

The month of February began rather well. Three former Reds in the house today.

Skeeter Barnes 2/2
    Jay Howell 2/2
    Dennis Rasmussen 1/1

Also purchased a JSA signed baseball by Reds Hall of Famer Ewell Blackwell. I had been looking for a JSA ball at a decent price and I won a bid last night on one!!! Set me back $103 but that was a great price taking into consideration others that I had seen in and around Cincinnati.

Another former Red in the house on Tuesday. Ricky Bones on a 1992 Upper Deck in 29 days at his residence.

Also picked up a signed baseball of Pokey Reese on the sweet spot in blue ink and the elusive Steve Parris on an ONLB on the sweet spot in black ink who was the starting pitcher in that one game playoff in which Al Leiter was outstanding and the Reds lost at Riverfront on a rainy evening. I purchased those from an antique website in Cincinnati in which someone was having an estate sale!!!

Comment

Four more former Reds in the house today.

Pokey Reese 2/2 in four days at his residence.

Also received signed OMLB's by Bruce Berenyi, Davey Johnson, and Ray Knight that were obtained in a private signing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
        Four more former Reds in the house today.

Pokey Reese 2/2 in four days at his residence.

Also received signed OMLB's by Bruce Berenyi, Davey Johnson, and Ray Knight that were obtained in a private signing!!!
        Nice work! I had Davey Johnson sign a card years ago at an event in London, Ontario.

Who are some of the toughest Reds to obtain?
        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Billy Bates would be at the top of the list. There is just not much out there on him. Randy Myers, Rob Dibble, Rosario Rodriguez, Glenn Sutko, Luis Quinones, Rich Hinton, Manny Sarmiento, Paul Householder, Duane Walker, Nick Esasky, Gary Redus, Jay Tibbs, Wade Rowdon, and Pedro Villareal. Myers and Dibble actually did an event last summer in Cincinnati where he signed a bunch of items which is definitely unlike Myers!!! I actually went and he was fantastic. One of the top 15 experiences that I have had in life...that is just how good it was.

Comment

Another former Red in the house today. Dwayne Henry 1/1 in seven days at his residence.

Comment

Billy Bates would be at the top of the list. There is just not much out there on him. Randy Myers, Rob Dibble, Rosario Rodriguez, Glenn Sutko, Luis Quinones, Rich Hinton, Manny Sarmiento, Paul Householder, Duane Walker, Nick Esasky, Gary Redus, Jay Tibbs, Wade Rowdon, and Pedro Villareal. Myers and Dibble actually did an event last summer in Cincinnati where he signed a bunch of items which is definitely unlike Myers!!! I actually went and he was fantastic. One of the top 15 experiences that I have had in life...that is just how good it was.
              Thanks for the list. Someone told me that Myers will not sign his Toronto Blue Jays cards. But maybe he just generally won't sign anything
              Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Four more Reds in the house today.

Steve Foster 1/1 in 17 days at his residence.
                Tim Birtsas 2/2 in 11 days at his business.

I received an OALB signed by Reds' Hall of Famer Ewell Blackwell that has been JSA authenticated and an OMLB signed by Chris Sabo with his 1988 NLROY inscription both of which were won in an auction.

Comment

I got Esasky TTM a couple of years ago. I knew Householder and Redus were tough, was not aware Walker was difficult also. I picked the wrong team set to try to get signed. :P
                  The Writer's Journey

Comment

Esasky evidently doesn't like me. I have sent him two requests on cards and two requests for him to sign a project that I am working on and even offered money. Thus far nothing!!! Quinones was very good when he was coaching and I got him TTM then but I think that he has returned to his native country so therefore that is why he is so tough which is the same thing with Rosario Rodriguez and Manny Sarmiento. I have heard through the Cincinnati grapevine that a local promoter in Cincinnati is trying to get Sarmiento for a signing. I purchased a signed Redus card and I actually went to Alabama to get Jay Tibbs on the same project that I need Esasky and Redus. I sent all three of them a letter and only Tibbs responded. I got Villareal several times in the minors but since he was promoted to Cincinnati, he has obviously let his "cup of coffee" in the majors go to his head. I saw him four or five times last summer and was turned down every time on my request to sign an OMLB. There have been no TTM successes on Duane Walker since 2002...yes May, 2002. Rowdon is very, very slow even if he signs. Most of his successes were over a year after they were sent to him. He runs a church camp in Savannah, GA in November called Sycamore at the Church. I am planning to travel down to Savannah because I need him on the same project that Tibbs signed and I need Redus and Esasky. This is also the same project that I am traveling to RaysFest because I need Andy McGaffigan and Tom Hume!!!

Comment

I am planning to travel down to Savannah because I need him on the same project that Tibbs signed and I need Redus and Esasky. This is also the same project that I am traveling to RaysFest because I need Andy McGaffigan and Tom Hume!!!
                      I must say you are very dedicated to your projects! I just shrug it off when I run into a wall! LOL
                      The Writer's Journey

Comment

I am not fanatical about it though. I would never just show up at an athlete's home or their place of employment. That is spooky. If they are going to be in a public situation, i.e. golf tournament, baseball camp, etc., I do not mind showing up uninvited. However if they do not participate in public appearances, I will sit down and write them a very nice letter telling them about whatever it is that I am working on and asking for their help. I offer to meet them in a very public location and offer compensation as well including a meal. It works 10% of the time. It works just enough to push me to continue.

Comment

Someone once said that three times was the charm...well four times is the charm. On my fourth attempt, I finally nabbed John Roper of the Reds on a 1995 Topps Stadium Club in seven days at his residence.

Comment

A couple of more Reds in the house yesterday.

Larry Stahl signed an OMLB on the sweet spot in blue ink in ten days at his residence.
                            Scotti Madison on the title page of his book "Just A Phone Call Away". Madison appeared in forty games for the Reds during the 1989 season.

Comment

Someone once said that three times was the charm...well four times is the charm. On my fourth attempt, I finally nabbed John Roper of the Reds on a 1995 Topps Stadium Club in seven days at his residence.
                              I wish I had known you needed Roper. I used to see him play all the time when he was with the Independent Atlantic League Nashua Pride and have a couple dupes to trade.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X