Vendor box vs Wax box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor box vs Wax box

I wanted to ask the baseball card experts. I'm considering buying a wax box of 1977 Topps. I was looking around on eBay when I came across "vendor boxes". I've never seen these before. What's the story behind the "vendor's box"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Topps-B...p2054897.l4275

1977 Tops vendor box.JPG
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-04-2014, 12:19 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

It's a brick of ~500 cards with no inside packaging. Vending boxes are not sealed either, so the best cards may have already been removed. It's probably the riskiest way to buy unopened cards.

The seller didn't post a picture of the inside, but it should look like this. If a vending box doesn't have a pattern like this, it's likely been searched.
    1971Box.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the info ipitch. I don't remember vending boxes as a kid. Where were they sold at?
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        Thanks for the info ipitch. I don't remember vending boxes as a kid. Where were they sold at?
        Dealers could buy them directly from Topps, but I don't think they were ever sold in stores. Their original purpose was for vending machines.

Comment

Vending machines!? That's a trip. Do you know how much Topps sold them for in 1977?

Comment

Vending machines!? That's a trip. Do you know how much Topps sold them for in 1977?
            No, but I would guess it was only about $3 per box, based on the price of a 1977 rack pack (49 cents for 39 cards).

Comment

Vending machines!? That's a trip.
              Here's a 1956 Topps vending machine:

Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                Here's a 1956 Topps vending machine:
                Wow! 1 penny for a chance at a '56 Mantle? I would have been standing in front of that thing all day.
                "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

What's the top RC from the 1956 Topps set?

Comment

Luis Aparicio is the top rookie, somewhere in the $ 200.00 range.....Walter Alston has a " rookie " at $ 50.00. I think there are 10 other rookies, all in the $15 - $20.00 range.......

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X