1980 Cal Ripken, Jr. Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Cal Ripken, Jr. Card

I am messing around on ebay right now, and I run into a card from 1980 of Cal Ripken and the bidding is currently at $3,000! It is a 1980 WBTV O's #16, listed as "Rare Rookie" with a blue border. There have been twenty-three people who have bid so far, and the bidding will go on for another 33 hours. That is crazy. Is this a highly sought after card? It says something about being a "team set" so I am guessing somebody is willing to dump this kind of cash on a "rare" baseball card?

Does anyone have one or know what is so special about this card?
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Tough card to find as far as I know. I think they only distributed 2000 or so. Maybe less. I believe it's also got errors in his name on the back of the card. To me, it's a massive rarity of a HOFer. The price then is dictated upon the demand.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Very popular player + rare minor league card (only 1,400 made, supposedly) = $$$.

This one is even rarer...
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cal-Ripken-J...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
        Very popular player + rare minor league card (only 1,400 made, supposedly) = $$$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cal-Ripken-J...p2047675.l2557
        Cal looks better with no hair!
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

FYI, there is going to be a celebration of the Charlotte O's on April 18 at BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte. Supposedly 30 former O's are going to be there but they have not released any names yet. In the height of honest, if anyone can mess it up, it is the Knights' management team. Sometimes they are just clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
            Should the link supplied by ipitch to the Ebay auction referred to ever become invalid, the card in question is described by the seller as "Cal Ripken Jr 1980 Charlotte O's Orange Police PSA 5." The auction ended at Dec 14, 2013 17:00:12 PST and went for $15,000 with just one bid.

The card Herr28 asked about has the same photo as the one ipitch linked to. The differences are the color of the border, the presence (or lack) of the WBTV logo, and on the back, the WBTV card has a brief writeup (and yes, "Ripken" is misspelled as "Ripkin" twice), whereas the police card has paragraphs on "Third Base Hints" and "Crime Prevention Hints" with no mention of Ripken.

The WBVT card is still at $3,000 with 23 bids from 17 different bidders. Auction ends at 12.55am Eastern time.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

It went for $4,611 on 26 bids. Absolutely ridiculous.
              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

By the way, for anyone that might be interested, the Charlotte Knights are having a reunion of the Charlotte Orioles on April 18. There are supposed to be 30 former O's there. The only confirmed players right now are Mark Corey (three teams in four seasons in the majors), John Flinn (never played in the majors), and Sammy Stewart. I am wondering if either of the Ripken brothers will be there. There are three players that played on the Reds that I need and I am hoping that Wayne Krenchiki will be there. Reggie Sanders also played for the O's but I doubt if he will attend. Chris Welsh does television for the Reds and I doubt if he will miss an assignment for that. The Knights are not very good on releasing information. In fact, I live within 90 minutes of three White Sox minor league teams and getting information from any of the three is almost impossible at times. I believe that getting information from the Kremlin would probably be easier. LOL

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X