Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You've been hired by a new baseball card company...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've been hired by a new baseball card company...

Each employee is allowed to suggest 5-10 players for inclusion in the set. Active or retired, overrated or unheard of. Who do you pick?
    The Writer's Journey

Well, if I were putting out a set of baseball cards, the basic set would consist of every player on a team's 40-man Spring Training roster. And I would assign the players' card numbers in terms of Major League service - so Card #1 would be whoever was active the longest.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I'm with Gary on that. I don't want five cards of Albert Pujols in my set. But I do want guys like the LOOGY and the backup catcher.
      "Joba Chamberlain has a career ERA of one point seven bazillion against Cleveland. Most sentient bipeds either overtly or secretly revel in this fact." - Steve Buffum, The B-List, 6/1/2010

Good traders: bravesautographs, kearns643

Check out my autograph blog!

Comment

Interesting propostion. I'll even follow along with the OP.

I'm not trying to be morbid, but these players, active or recent retirees, all passed while I was growing up, and I kind of collected them because of the shock I felt upon reading of their passing.

Lynn McGlothen
        Francisco Barrios
        Lyman Bostock
        Danny Thompson
        Thurman Munson
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I would try to go with some guys that haven't gotten a lot of cardboard love lately. For example, Mario Soto hasn't been in a set since 1989 Score. He was one of the best pitchers in the NL for a couple of years, and would love to see him on a new design again.

So my guys would be: Mario Soto, Kurt Stillwell, JR Richard, Doug Dascenzo, Shawon Dunston.

I know Dunston has been in a handful of sets recently, and I assume Richard probably has also. But they haven't been overdone like Mantle, Ruth, et al.
          The Writer's Journey

Comment

For an annual set, I'd want the photos to either be action photos or action photos with a small portrait (a la '63 Topps) in the corner. I would love to see some more advanced stats squeezed onto the back of the card (e.g. SB%, OPS+, ERA+). As far as "insert" or "subsets" within the regular set, I'd look for an annual "All Star" series for each league, much like the old Topps All Stars, and some sort of series which would change from year-to-year. Perhaps one year it's a "record breakers" subset, perhaps another it's a "active career leaders" set, perhaps another year it's a "franchise heroes" or "playoff heroes" subset. There's all kinds of things you could do.

I would also like to see a set of the top 300 or so non-Hall of Famers from among retired players.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
              I would love to see some more advanced stats squeezed onto the back of the card (e.g. SB%, OPS+, ERA+).
              There's only so much space on the back of a card. Adding more stats will just make all of the numerals smaller and more difficult to read, especially on cards of players with long careers.

Actually, with all of the resources available to fans these days for a player's statistics, I wonder how many are actually using baseball cards as their main source. I don't not want cards to have stats on the back, because it's a traditional part of the card, but I don't think a baseball card is the place to have advanced statistics.
              Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I would include special cards of the most recent HOF inductees.
                Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Maybe go with some really good, fairly underrated, fairly recent guys

Adrian Beltre
                  Lou Whitaker
                  Jim Thome
                  Larry Walker
                  Alan Trammell
                  Scott Rolen
                  Kenny Lofton
                  Graig Nettles
                  Carlos Beltran
                  Dwight Evans
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I actually like what Topps did a few years ago (probably the only time I'll ever say that) with their Distinguished Service set that featured players who had served in the military during World War II. It combines my two biggest hobbies (history and baseball) and I'd like to see it expanded to the players they left out the first time, like Al Dark, Bob Addis and Wayne Terwilliger (USMC), Al Rosen (Navy), Bert Shepard (Army), etc.
                    Check out my new autograph blog

Signed 1953 Topps Project: 102/274 (37.23%) complete

Comment

I would love to see a parallel-free insert set (no more than maybe 30 or so cards) covering MLB's "exports" to the various pro leagues around the world, in the various uniforms that we don't often see. Would be nice if it included Bernardo Brito in Taiwan, Hensley Meulens in Korea, Tuffy Rhodes, Randy Bass and Warren Cromartie in Japan, Manny Ramirez (in his EDA Rhinos duds), Vinny Castilla and Fernando Valenzuela in Mexico. I know it will never happen, but it's a thought.
                      Last edited by DaClyde; 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM.
                      Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X