Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Series Programs Question

I've a few WS programs and just added some more recently. My questions are:

What year did MLB take over printing and issue 1 program as opposed to each participating team printing their own? 74? 75?

What year did MLB start making 3 covers, a Nationwide, a NL, and a AL?

A recent purchase was the 1983 program. It has the usual composite photos of the 4 teams in the Championship
    Series. This one also has full page color photos of the Phillies but not Orioles. Was this done in each city? Other years?

Lastly, another recent purchase was the 2010 program. All the games are scored, by machine, not by hand. Is, or was this common practice to print them scored after the Series is over?

Thanks for any input.

Ken

MLB took over the production of the World Series program in 1974. The 1973 Mets and 1973 A's were the last World Series teams to issue their own World Series programs.

Having answered that one, let's add a new one: when did MLB take over the production of the LCS program?
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      MLB took over the production of the World Series program in 1974. The 1973 Mets and 1973 A's were the last World Series teams to issue their own World Series programs.

Having answered that one, let's add a new one: when did MLB take over the production of the LCS program?
      1995, oddly enough making "variations" (quotes because its only the text indicating venue the program was sold in) for each of the 4 home teams. They went to just producing just one cover for each series in 1996.
      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
      Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
      Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Hastings View Post
        I've a few WS programs and just added some more recently. My questions are:

What year did MLB take over printing and issue 1 program as opposed to each participating team printing their own? 74? 75?
        See Gary's answer.

What year did MLB start making 3 covers, a Nationwide, a NL, and a AL?
        I ceased purchasing postseason programs following the 2014 season (ironically my Mets have made the postseason twice in a row since I bowed out of the hobby) but as far as I know they've never made 3 "covers" Are you sure you bought an official one and not just something sold by the team on their own?

A recent purchase was the 1983 program. It has the usual composite photos of the 4 teams in the Championship
        Series. This one also has full page color photos of the Phillies but not Orioles. Was this done in each city? Other years?
        Yes. Only in recent years have they added both team's local section to ALL of the programs, even ones bought at a specific stadium. Back in that day you could buy one sans a local insert, presumably mail order (that's what I did during the late 1980s-early 1990s).

Lastly, another recent purchase was the 2010 program. All the games are scored, by machine, not by hand. Is, or was this common practice to print them scored after the Series is over?
        I'm guessing you bought something produced after the series was over?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
          as far as I know they've never made 3 "covers" Are you sure you bought an official one and not just something sold by the team on their own?
          I don't know when they started, but last year, as well as this year, they have made three different covers - one for each team, and a national version. Here's a photo from the 2015 World Series showing the Mets' and national versions available side-by-side at the 7 Line concession stand. (Understandably, the Royals' cover variant was not available at Citi Field; I'd expect the Mets' version could not be found at Kauffman Stadium.)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/773/23...24543805_c.jpg
          (Photo taken October 31, 2015. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
          Only in recent years have they added both team's local section to ALL of the programs, even ones bought at a specific stadium.
          And the local sections were a ripoff if you bought both the LCS and WS programs, because they local section in the WS program was exactly the same as the one in the LCS program - except for one page, where an article about how the team made it to the LCS was replaced with one telling how the team made it to the WS.
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Thank you Gary and Steve.

Comment

I just sold my 1979 WS program for $20. I had ordered it back then in the mail.

19th Century League Champion
              1900s League Champion
              1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
              1950s League Champion
              1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
              1960s League Division Winner
              1970s League Champion
              1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
              1980s League Champion
              All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                I don't know when they started, but last year, as well as this year, they have made three different covers - one for each team, and a national version. Here's a photo from the 2015 World Series showing the Mets' and national versions available side-by-side at the 7 Line concession stand. (Understandably, the Royals' cover variant was not available at Citi Field; I'd expect the Mets' version could not be found at Kauffman Stadium.)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/773/23...24543805_c.jpg
                [SIZE="1"](Photo taken October 31, 2015. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/23555807652/"]here[/URL
                Oh yeah! Of course I forgot the "Subway Series" limited cover from 2000!

Then again I rarely saw stadium exclusive covers on eBay, hell I think the 2000 Subway Lines logo cover is the only one I have seen over the years, so that's probably why I didn't think of it.

Comment

I will add just a bit more trivia to the question.
                  Although only one program was printed from 1974 on, there were a few other years that only one program was done as well. They were 1921, 1922, 1936 and 1937.
                  Cheers!
                  "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Comment

It would be reasonable to presume there was only one program in 1921 and 1922 because both teams played in the same ballpark (the Polo Grounds, which at the time was the Yankees' home ballpark as well as the Giants.)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...orldSeries.png https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...orldSeries.png

The 1936 and 1937 contests also pitted the Giants against the Yankees, but by this time as everyone knows the Yankees were in their own building, so I have no guesses as to why there was only one book in these years.
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X