1946 MLB images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Wight

24 year old lefty Bill Wight also made his MLB debut in 1946 with the Yankees pitching 40 innings. Colorized image by Baseball-birthdays.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Red Ruffing

1946 was the final season for Hall of Famer Red Ruffing with the Yankees. The 41 year old right hander got off to an amazing start with a 1.77 ERA and a 5-1 record. Then on June 29th he incurred a broken kneecap thanks to a line drive impact. He would not pitch again in 1946 and the Yankees released him. Ranked 81st among all pitchers in career WAR. His career win total of 273 ranks him 32nd.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by abravesfan; 10-12-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Wow, Cuddles sure is an usual nickname for a professional ballplayer. Wonder what the story is behind that. It's a shame how players' nicknames today are so bland and predictable unlike in the early/mid 20th century.

Comment

• While we're on the subject of 1946 I would have liked to see some nice rookie photos of the Pittsburgh Pirates' Ralph Kiner and the Philadelphia Phillies' Del Ennis. 1946 was the last year before the Rookie Of The Year Award became official, where it was actually was awarded by the two major leagues.
          No one really stood out in the American League in 1946, but the 2004 Baseball Encyclopedia edited by Pete Palmer and Gary Gillette gave their Ex Post Facto American League Rookie of the Year Award to Detroit Tiger, Hoot Evers. He hit 4 home runs, with 33 RBI and had a .266 batting average. His photo is on Page 9 of this thread, Section # 121.
          The National League had a better selection of rookies. Pittsburgh's Ralph Kiner somehow managed to lead the NL in '46 in home runs with only 23 HR. (He would hit 51 HR the following year.) In 1946 Kiner hit 23 HR, with 81 RBI and hit for a .247 batting average.
          The Phillies' Del Ennis is that baseball encyclopedia's National League and Major leagues Ex Post Facto Rookie Of the Year. it's hard to argue with that, since Del was the only rookie from either league to appear in the 1946 Major Leagues All-Star Game. Ennis, a Philadelphia native, hit 17 home runs, with 73 RBI, and hit for an excellent .313 batting average for his hometown Phillies. He was also awarded The Sporting News Rookie Of The Year Award for 1946.
          Last edited by 1954 Phils; 10-15-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• 1946 AL ROY Ennis & Kiner

I will be posting images of Kiner and Ennis from 1946 when I get round to posting complete images of their respective teams. However, I appreciate that may take awhile. So I post the best 1946 image of Kiner I have seen and will give you a source for the best 1946 image of Ennis I have seen. That source will be a colorization form the baseball-birthdays site which is the image I propose to utilise.

The 1946 ROY is an interesting matter. When I was listing the Tigers 1946 lineup I must say I was highly perplexed why Evers hit 3rd and Cullenbine hit 6th as all the evidence in respect of their individual contributions would indicate that the team would have been better served if their positions in the lineup was reversed. That said I don't believe there is any candidate who can approach the claims of Evers for that award. The strongest possible alternatives would appear to be Chuck Stevens and Gene Handley.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by abravesfan; 10-15-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Bud Souchock

Back-up rookie First-Baseman Bud Souchock hit .302 for the Yankees in 47 games.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by abravesfan; 10-17-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Frankie Crosetti

35 year old veteran shortstop Frankie Crosetti was reduced to a back-up role in 1946.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Gus Niarhos

25 year old reserve catcher made his MLB debut for the Yankees in 1946 appearing in 37 games.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Oscar Grimes

Nominated to the All-Star game in 1945, 31 year old Oscar Grimes played just 14 games for the Yankees in 1946 and was then purchased by the Philadelphia Athletics making 59 further appearances in what turned out to be his final MLB season.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by abravesfan; 10-15-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Bobby Brown

21 year old infielder Bobby Brown made his MLB debut for the Yankees on Sept. 22nd appearing in 7 games.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Ken Silvestri
                        After losing 4 full years while in Military Service reserve 30 year old catcher Ken Silvestri returned to the Yankees for his second season in pin-stripes, appearing in 13 games.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Yogi Berra

21 year old catcher Yogi Berra made his MLB debut alongside Bobby Brown on Sept. 22nd. Colorization by sal1199. The legacy from his 7 game appearance was a clear mark on what was to follow. He posted a .364 batting average, a .682 slugging percentage and a 1.073 OPS.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by abravesfan; 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Interesting seeing the old caps (with unstructured crowns & messed up brims) prior to the "modern" style (high structured crown with a slightly longer brims/bills) introduced around 1954 IIRC.

Comment

• Frank Colman

Reserve 28 year old outfielder started the season with Pittsburgh but was then purchased by the Yankees in mid June. Having represented the Pirates 26 times he made only 5 further appearances for the Yankees.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Eddie Bockman

25 year old Eddie Bockman made his MLB debut on September 11th. He played just 4 times for the Yankees being traded late in the year to Cleveland for Dutch Meyer. Colorization by ortforshort.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X