• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Phils
    replied
    Originally posted by abravesfan View Post
    1946 AL ROY Ennis & Kiner

I will be posting images of Kiner and Ennis from 1946 when I get round to posting complete images of their respective teams. However, I appreciate that may take awhile. So I post the best 1946 image of Kiner I have seen and will give you a source for the best 1946 image of Ennis I have seen. That source will be a colorization form the baseball-birthdays site which is the image I propose to utilise.

The 1946 ROY is an interesting matter. When I was listing the Tigers 1946 lineup I must say I was highly perplexed why Evers hit 3rd and Cullenbine hit 6th as all the evidence in respect of their individual contributions would indicate that the team would have been better served if their positions in the lineup was reversed. That said I don't believe there is any candidate who can approach the claims of Evers for that award. The strongest possible alternatives would appear to be Chuck Stevens and Gene Handley.
    Where's Del?

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Phil Cavarretta

The previous season's NL MVP Phil Cavarretta was the Cubs regular clean-up hitter in 1946. Mainly positioned at first-base in 1945 he was most often a right-fielder in 1946. Named to the All-Star game he repeated his total of 10 triples from the previous season and ended the year with a .401 on-base mark.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Peanuts Lowrey

Named to his only All-Star game in 1946 left fielder Peanuts Lowrey was the Cubs regular third place hitter.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Don Johnson

34 year old second baseman Don Johnson was the Cubs most used second place hitter.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    1946 Chicago Cubs

The defending National League Champions, the Chicago Cubs, slipped to third place in the final standings for 1946. Their final season record was 82-71.

Stan Hack

36 year old veteran left hand hitting third baseman Stan Hack was the Cubs lead-off batter. Often considered one of the best third-baseman not in the Hall of Fame. His season was cut short as a result of a broken ankle, he finished the season with an on-base percentage of .431
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Roy Weatherly

31 year old left handed hitting outfielder Roy Weatherly returned to the Yankees 3 years after his previous appearance. He only had 2 at bats despite a .500 batting average.

Hank Majeski and Jake Wade also appeared for the Yankees as far as I am aware no photos exist for either in a Yankees uniform.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Bud Metheny

1946 was 31 year old left handed batter Bud Metheny's 4th consecutive season with the Yankees. In all of the previous seasons he had appeared in over 100 games but in his final MLB season he appeared in just 3 games failing to get a hit in 3 at bats. Signed by the Red Sox he never appeared for them. The last player to represent the Yankees with the number 3 on his back.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Bill Drescher

25 year old catcher Bill Drescher spent time for the third consecutive year with the Yankees. He made just 6 plate appearances spread over 5 games for the Yankees in his final MLB season.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Herb Karpel

Left hand pitcher Herb Karpel's MLB career consisted of 2 appearances as a 28 year old with the Yankees in 1946.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Charley Stanceu

30 year old Charley Stanceu's most recent MLB experience was 5 years earlier as a rookie with the Yankees. He made 3 appearances with the Yankees before being selected off waivers by the Phillies in early June. Image from findagrave.com
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Bill Zuber

33 year old right handed pitcher commenced his 4th season with the Yankees but after 3 appearances was prchased in mid June by the Red Sox.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Steve Roser

28 year old Steve Roser pitched in 4 games for the Yankees before being acquired by the Boston Braves in early May.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Karl Drews

26 year old right handed pitcher Karl Drews made his mlb debut on September 8th pitching in 3 games.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Al Lyons

27 year old pitcher made 2 appearances for the Yankees.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• abravesfan
    replied
    Tommy Byrne

26 year old left handed pitcher returned to the Yankees after 2 years service in the Navy. He made 4 appearances starting 1 game and finishing 3.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X