Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a photo of Henry Aaron & Jackie Robinson together exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a photo of Henry Aaron & Jackie Robinson together exist?

This was brought to my attention on a FB baseball page. There doesn't seem to be any photos of Hank Aaron and Jackie Robinson together. Has anyone ever seen one?
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-10-2021, 01:29 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

745af94190f424c05a6c9ff24d408495.jpg
    EDIT: Oops! This pic was labeled Jackie Robinson/Hank Aaron, but now that I look closer, that isn't Hank Aaron. The Braves were already in Milwaukee when Hank came up, but this guy's wearing a Boston Braves cap. I believe it's really Sam Jethroe. The pic was so small, I didn't notice until I had blown it up and posted it.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 01-26-2021, 01:32 PM.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      That's Sam Jethroe, not Aaron.

https://walkoffwalk.net/2018/04/15/s...color-barrier/
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        I know, I was editing my post when you posted this response. Sorry for wasting your time.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I know, I was editing my post when you posted this response. Sorry for wasting your time.
          No worries Aches. Apparently, no known photo of Jackie and Henry exists. I find that impossible to believe.

Comment

No worries Aches. Apparently, no known photo of Jackie and Henry exists. I find that impossible to believe.
            Hard to believe indeed, especially when considering their off-the-field and post-career pursuits and causes.

They never played in the All-Star Game together either. Robbie's final ASG was '54 while Aaron's first was '55.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Hard to believe indeed, especially when considering their off-the-field and post-career pursuits and causes.

They never played in the All-Star Game together either. Robbie's final ASG was '54 while Aaron's first was '55.
              Yeah, I checked that too, thinking they might both be in the team picture or something. It does seem odd that they were never photographed together. I know they were reasonably friendly at least on the field. I read an anecdote once about a game in 1955, when Robinson was paying third base, and Aaron was trying to get a bunt down. Robinson was playing back, guarding the line, and Aaron easily bunted for a hit. The next day before the game Aaron asked Robinson why he was playing back, and Robinson said "Henry, any time you want to bunt, we'll give you first base."

Comment

Yeah, I checked that too, thinking they might both be in the team picture or something. It does seem odd that they were never photographed together. I know they were reasonably friendly at least on the field. I read an anecdote once about a game in 1955, when Robinson was paying third base, and Aaron was trying to get a bunt down. Robinson was playing back, guarding the line, and Aaron easily bunted for a hit. The next day before the game Aaron asked Robinson why he was playing back, and Robinson said "Henry, any time you want to bunt, we'll give you first base."
                Hahahaha!!!

Aaron has stated many times that he had a deep and abiding respect for Jackie Robinson. According to Aaron they were definitely friends both on and off the field.

Comment

LOL ... I love it.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

I found one! Kind of. This is from August 1, 1956. Jackie is on second base and if you squint really good you can kind of see Aaron in right field.

Aaron Jackie 1.jpg

Comment

I found one! Kind of. This is from August 1, 1956. Jackie is on second base and if you squint really good you can kind of see Aaron in right field.

Aaron Jackie 1.jpg
                      Great find!

For the record... After Campanella was intentionally walked, moving Jackie to second, pinch hitter Dale Mitchell would single, bringing him around to score the go-ahead run, enough to give the Dodgers the 2-1 win.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

sorta.....................
                        Attached Files

Comment

Found this while searching. How cool is this picture!!!
                          RobertoClemente_WillieMays_HankAaron.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by GoslinFan View Post
                            Found this while searching. How cool is this picture!!!
                            RobertoClemente_WillieMays_HankAaron.jpg
                            Awesome!

Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X