• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth Teaches Some Fine Points Of Pitching
    Palatka, Florida - February 28, 1940
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Babe Signs For The Fans - Fenway Park c.1930
      Yet another large re-edit...the original from the BPL.
      *note: Oops, looks like this is a repeat, although this edit is a bit different: original post June 2010
      Last edited by BSmile; 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• 1934 Tour Of Japan - Team Photo & Close-Up
        BBF member Dto7 found and sent me a really nice clean version of the '34 Tour Team posing together. Also, a great close-up featuring Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Chas. Gehringer and The Babe. Thanx to Dto7...and enjoy! ~B

This is another great one! Here's some names...Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Americans in Top Row, L-R, starting with 7th person from left: "Doc" Ebling (A's trainer), Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty O'Doul, Bing Miller, Japanese, Japanese, Earl Averill.

Seated, L-R: Clint Brown, Moe Berg, Earl Whitehill, Joe Cascarella, Charlie Gehringer, Babe Ruth, Lefty Gomez, Frankie Hayes?, Rabbit Warstler, Eric McNair, Umpire John Quinn.

Not 100% sure of the Frankie Hayes ID, but he was the only other catcher in the group other than Berg, and this player is holding a catcher's mitt.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-27-2011, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Approach...Get Ready...SWING!
          Click Here To See Full-Sized (1590 x 579)
          I decided to create this montage after I recently found the 1st pic of Babe approaching the plate. I was pretty excited to find that it was taken moments before the 2nd and 3rd pics in the montage (early 1920's - Posted back in February.) You can see them here: Start Of His HR Swing...Ball Has Been Met. Cheers! ~B
          Last edited by BSmile; 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• The Babe Still Rates - April 19, 1946
            When I see pictures like this I can't help but wonder how many Babe Ruth autographs are tucked away and forgotten about
            in attics and basements all over America.
            Last edited by BSmile; 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• The Babe Signs A Ball In Philly - July 28, 1947
              Yup...another day, another autograph. Part of The Babe's great American Legion Tour of 1947. I cropped and flipped the photo text for easier reading. (I hate it when the old wire photos have sideways text!)

Comment

• Babe & The Skippers - Spring 1947
                There was no info for this pic...but it looks like managers Ben Chapman and Bucky Harris. Chapman was a former teammate of The Babe with the Yankees. More famously he was a notorious racist. His treatment of Jackie Robinson in '47 made headlines...but it was hardly his first racist action. There's a few choice stories about him on wiki here: Ben Chapman Wiki link.

Comment

• Babe Gets Warmed Up - 1930's

Comment

• Babe Ruth Esq. - Hamilton, Bermuda - March 1, 1938

Comment

• Babe & The Red Sox Spring Training - 1915
                      BBF member Dto7 sent me a message asking if I'd seen this picture. It reminded me that I had it in my "to be edited" folder...so I did just that. I'm guessing that this picture was taken in Arkansas. Cheers! ~B

Comment

• To A Nurse That Was Wonderful To Me - July 14, 1947
                        "To A Nurse That Was Wonderful To Me For Many Months Muriel Holland. From Babe Ruth. 7-14-47"
                        A touching autograph from The Babe to his nurse who helped him early on in his fight against cancer. The picture itself appears to be from the early 1930's.

Comment

• Babe Snaps A Pic Of Lou (x2!) - April 12, 1932 - Philadelphia
                          Click Here To See Full-Sized (1286 x 566)
                          Anybody who follows this thread would probably assume (correctly I'd add) that I have thousands & thousands of pics of The Babe. So finding a pic of The Babe taking a pic is pretty special to me. A pic of Babe taking a pic of Lou Gehrig actually inspired me to start this entire thread (the pic on the left...which I posted very early on). Then...the other day, I found an opposing view pic of the same event. To say the least I was very, very happy...so I combined them into the image I post here. Cheers! ~B
                          Last edited by BSmile; 07-20-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                            Babe & The Red Sox Spring Training - 1915
                            BBF member Dto7 sent me a message asking if I'd seen this picture. It reminded me that I had it in my "to be edited" folder...so I did just that. I'm guessing that this picture was taken in Arkansas. Cheers! ~B
                            This is a nice one. Here's a few names:
                            First Red Sox player on bench is, I think, Rube Foster, then unknown civilian, then Carl Mays, Harry Hooper, Everett "Deacon" Scott, and Babe Ruth.
                            Last edited by GaryL; 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Babe Coaches A Young Hopeful - 1920's

Comment

• Diamond Dust Punch Game - 1930's
                                Babe is joined by some guys I think we've all heard of...but who's "Jimmy" Foxx? Haha...if I had a nickel for every time I've seen "Jimmie" Foxx's name spelled wrong...why I could make every punch on that board and then some!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X