Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babe Ruth Pictures (some RARE ones!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
    If that picture was taken in the Philippines,then it would have been Rizal Stadium in Manila.The All Americans played their last three games of the tour there.Come to think of it,even back in the Thirties the Japanese would not have been too thrilled to have American military on the scene and vice versa!Must be Manila.
    Sounds about right. It very well could have been there...
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

    Comment


    • They're all great but I really like the one with Foxx and Mack in the dugout. The colourized one is fantastic. I've never seen one before. Are there more in the thread?
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

      Comment


      • Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
        They're all great but I really like the one with Foxx and Mack in the dugout. The colourized one is fantastic. I've never seen one before. Are there more in the thread?
        Thanx runningshoes!
        I made another colorized Babe pic and posted it back in July here: Babe Waits For The Ball - In COLOR - Fenway Park, Boston - c.1931-34.

        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

        Comment


        • Hey Guys, Nice Sweaters! - 1920's
          Great pic of Babe and a young fella wearing what appears to be matching sweaters (team issued I'd guess). So is the kid the son of a player/owner? The head of a Babe Ruth fan club or a bat boy? I'm digging around to find out more...
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BSmile View Post
            Hey Guys, Nice Sweaters! - 1920's
            Great pic of Babe and a young fella wearing what appears to be matching sweaters (team issued I'd guess). So is the kid the son of a player/owner? The head of a Babe Ruth fan club or a bat boy? I'm digging around to find out more...
            Nice shot and I might add, one of the first pics I've seen where the Bam looks to be in better condition than the kid.

            Comment


            • Found this in one of my Babe files. Babe Ruth Sweater For Boys.
              The only info I have on this, at auction in 2005, final bid was for 1454.00
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                Found this in one of my Babe files. Babe Ruth Sweater For Boys.
                The only info I have on this, at auction in 2005, final bid was for 1454.00
                That actually narrows down the details quite a bit!
                So the pic was for Babe's clothing line, the kid was probably just a model (husky build to emulate a young Babe no doubt).

                Check this out: Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend
                By Kal Wagenheim (pg.99)


                And this: The Pittsburgh Press - September 12, 1924
                Last edited by BSmile; 12-10-2011, 11:45 AM.
                Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                  1934 Tour Of Japan - In The Dugout
                  Here's a great pic that shows Connie Mack, The Babe and Jimmie Foxx hanging out in the dugout during the '34 Tour Of Japan. I'm not certain where this pic was snapped during the Tour, but it seems like this is either before the game started or the US Team was batting. Also, that might be Lou Gehrig with his hand on his face next to Foxx.
                  My wife says those two guys in the dugout photo are definitely Filipino, and since she's Filipina, I have to take her word for it.
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

                  Comment


                  • Babe Gathers His Thoughts At First
                    Braves Field, Boston - 1938
                    Click Here To See Full-Sized (983 x 1200)
                    Another great pic of Babe during his time coaching 1st base for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1938. This shot should be considered a companion to my recent post #1806: Headin' Out For Coaching Duty. It was taken during the same game, if not moments apart from each other.
                    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                    Comment


                    • Some of the thoughts that the Babe gathers are: "Let ME be manager and let Durocher be first base coach.Wonder if I have enough time to go get another batch of hot dogs?Wow!Get a load of that redhead behind third base!
                      Last edited by Nimrod; 12-11-2011, 09:20 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                        Some of the thoughts that the Babe gathers are: "Let ME be manager and let Durocher be first base coach.Wonder if I have enough time to go get another batch of hot dogs?Wow!Get a load of that redhead behind third base!
                        Hahaha...yeah, hard to argue with that!
                        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                        Comment


                        • Babe Signs His Own Book - 1948
                          The book Babe is signing is a copy of the then newly published, "The Babe Ruth Story", authored by Bob Considine. So who is the gentleman that is holding the book? Hard to say for sure. It looks a bit like Bob Considine, but most of the pics I've seen show him looking a bit more worn in the face this guy (Here he is in LIFE, 1945). It might be somebody involved in the making of the movie of the same name, as I think this pic was a publicity shot taken on-set.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM.
                          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                            That actually narrows down the details quite a bit!
                            So the pic was for Babe's clothing line, the kid was probably just a model (husky build to emulate a young Babe no doubt).

                            Check this out: Babe Ruth: His Life and Legend
                            By Kal Wagenheim (pg.99)


                            And this: The Pittsburgh Press - September 12, 1924
                            WOW, 3.95 for a kid's sweater, that was lots of bucks in the 1920s.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jerseygary View Post
                              This photo was taken during the 1934 tour, but I believe it was taken in the Philippines, not Japan. The 2 fellows on the left in the suits look more Filipino than Japanese and you can see the campaign hat of a U.S. Army officer sitting in the second row. Very neat picture that I haven't seen before.
                              That all star touring team did play some games in the Philippines. After leaving Japan they made a stop there.
                              In December 1934 they did play some games in Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium.

                              Comment


                              • Babe Looks Slick For the Camera - 1920's
                                Classic studio shot of The Bambino looking really spiffy with one of his famous camel's hair caps in hand.
                                Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X