X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Babe Ruth Home Run Candy Club
    Membership Card, Rules & Certificate
    Click Here To See Full-Sized (1415 x 450)
    The "Ten General Rules For Members" are pretty awesome.
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Originally posted by MLB4LYF View Post
      If memory serves was'nt it Claire who got Babe into endorsing himself and asking for top dollar? I was watching the movie "Babe" the other day and it showed a scene where, Claire was shocked at how little he was getting for endorsing himself. Or maybe that was just "Hollywood".
      BSmile is right that Walsh was responsible for Babe's lucrative endorsements, but Claire does get credit for teaching Babe how to actually save some of his money. She got him to be more of a homebody and also ran their finances...the rule was Babe had to ask her for money, and only in $100 increments. She didn't limit how much he could have at any given point, but Babe had to ask for it $100 at a time, and she'd write him a check. I guess either he'd get embarrassed about asking for so many checks or she was really slow in filling them out, but this cut down on his spending quite a bit.
      I think Claire also went on the road with Babe and the Yanks quite a bit and kept his philandering and partying there to a minimum.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
        BSmile is right that Walsh was responsible for Babe's lucrative endorsements, but Claire does get credit for teaching Babe how to actually save some of his money. She got him to be more of a homebody and also ran their finances...the rule was Babe had to ask her for money, and only in $100 increments. She didn't limit how much he could have at any given point, but Babe had to ask for it $100 at a time, and she'd write him a check. I guess either he'd get embarrassed about asking for so many checks or she was really slow in filling them out, but this cut down on his spending quite a bit. I think Claire also went on the road with Babe and the Yanks quite a bit and kept his philandering and partying there to a minimum.
        Yeah, I'd have to agree with all that. Claire definitely deserves credit for reeling in Babe quite a bit (although perhaps not as much as she thought she was).

Comment

BSmile is right that Walsh was responsible for Babe's lucrative endorsements, but Claire does get credit for teaching Babe how to actually save some of his money. She got him to be more of a homebody and also ran their finances...the rule was Babe had to ask her for money, and only in $100 increments. She didn't limit how much he could have at any given point, but Babe had to ask for it $100 at a time, and she'd write him a check. I guess either he'd get embarrassed about asking for so many checks or she was really slow in filling them out, but this cut down on his spending quite a bit. I think Claire also went on the road with Babe and the Yanks quite a bit and kept his philandering and partying there to a minimum.
          Yeah, I'd have to agree with all that. Claire definitely deserves credit for reeling in Babe quite a bit (although perhaps not as much as she thought she was).

Comment

BSmile is right that Walsh was responsible for Babe's lucrative endorsements, but Claire does get credit for teaching Babe how to actually save some of his money. She got him to be more of a homebody and also ran their finances...the rule was Babe had to ask her for money, and only in $100 increments. She didn't limit how much he could have at any given point, but Babe had to ask for it $100 at a time, and she'd write him a check. I guess either he'd get embarrassed about asking for so many checks or she was really slow in filling them out, but this cut down on his spending quite a bit.
            I think Claire also went on the road with Babe and the Yanks quite a bit and kept his philandering and partying there to a minimum.
            Just a few words on that, Claire at times traveling on road games. Never been pointed out but I will say had she not curbed some of his party times, he doesn't get to the 700 home run club. I don't think there is any doubt, she was with him from 1929 till he left the game. Thats 6 years where had he been alone on the road he might have worn down a bit faster. She also had him watch his diet. Not to sugar coat Claire, some of Babe's friends and relatives saw her to be a bit manipulative, but I'm just looking what I believe she had to do with his taking care of himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
              Just a few words on that, Claire at times traveling on road games. Never been pointed out but I will say had she not curbed some of his party times, he doesn't get to the 700 home run club. I don't think there is any doubt, she was with him from 1929 till he left the game. Thats 6 years where had he been alone on the road he might have worn down a bit faster. She also had him watch his diet. Not to sugar coat Claire, some of Babe's friends and relatives saw her to be a bit manipulative, but I'm just looking what I believe she had to do with his taking care of himself.
              Since we are on the subject of Claire, I was wondering what she thought of Roger Maris breaking the Babe's single season home-run record. Does anybody have any info on this?

Comment

Since we are on the subject of Claire, I was wondering what she thought of Roger Maris breaking the Babe's single season home-run record. Does anybody have any info on this?
                We will probably never know for sure.Outwardly she seemed supportive of Roger. If on the inside she did not want him to break the record, I certainly would no hold that against her, understandable.

Billy Crystal is one of my favorites but I am a bit disappointed with one scene in his movie 61* dealing with the Maris and Mantle chase. Been years since I have watched the movie but if I recall there was one scene where the scene switches from Ford Frick and Claire watching Roger on TV and then one of them sharing the scene calling Roger an SOB.
                Probably never took place, who was there to hear both of their words, disappointed with that BS.

Comment

• Patty Maris watching Roger going for the record. I should add, I did like the movie 61* overall. But when the casual fan sees Ford Frick and Claire Ruth cursing Roger, well they probably will believe it took place.

What a shame, Roger in his own park had to pushed out of the dugout to take a bow after passing what was probably the most famous record the most recognizable number in sports, number 60.

Roger had one of the most beautiful swings I have ever seen. Glad to see in recent years he is being viewed differently, more appreciated.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you go to google(images)and type in 'Roger Maris and Claire Ruth' the first picture you`ll see is Maris shaking Claire`s hand as he gives her a peck on the cheek.God only knows what she is really thinking behind that little school girl smile on her face.(would love to have that Spalding glove Roger has under his arm,he can keep that ball-don`t think it is the #61 ball because fan kept it).
                    Last edited by Nimrod; 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      We will probably never know for sure.Outwardly she seemed supportive of Roger. If on the inside she did not want him to break the record, I certainly would no hold that against her, understandable.

Billy Crystal is one of my favorites but I am a bit disappointed with one scene in his movie 61* dealing with the Maris and Mantle chase. Been years since I have watched the movie but if I recall there was one scene where the scene switches from Ford Frick and Claire watching Roger on TV and then one of them sharing the scene calling Roger an SOB.
                      Probably never took place, who was there to hear both of their words, disappointed with that BS.
                      That's what I was refering to as well. That one particular scene with Claire watching Roger breaking the record. I was disappointed with that scene as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                        If you go to google(images)and type in 'Roger Maris and Claire Ruth' the first picture you`ll see is Maris shaking Claire`s hand as he gives her a peck on the cheek.God only knows what she is really thinking behind that little school girl smile on her face.(would love to have that Spalding glove Roger has under his arm,he can keep that ball-don`t think it is the #61 ball because fan kept it).
                        I would'nt be surprised if the bat he used to break the record is in the HOF, and possibly his uniform as well, that he was wearing when he broke the record. And thanks for the photo info as well.

Comment

• What I have read, I believe in a Newsweek article. Claire congratulated Roger and said if Babe were here he would have wanted to congratulate you to. Roger was diplomatic, his reply, I'm glad I didn't break the record in 154 games. Kind of Roger, I think that was meant to make Claire feel better. Later he would say, words to this effect, Don't worry Mrs. Ruth, no one will replace Babe.
                          They met twice, after he hit 60 and after he hit number 61.

Comment

• I think that Claire was a bit afraid that Babe's legacy would somehow diminish with his records being broken, especially 60 home runs. However, the outpouring of sentiment for The Babe from that record breaking 1961 season (and beyond) put her more at ease.

Comment

• Come On Gang!
                              We Are Going To Meet Babe Ruth In Person
                              Forbes Field - Saturday, May 25th - 2:00 P.M.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                                Come On Gang!
                                We Are Going To Meet Babe Ruth In Person
                                Forbes Field - Saturday, May 25th - 2:00 P.M.
                                Looks like the old Bam lived up to his rep, put him on stage and he performs. Not many takers on that promo, only 10,000 attended. Some missed out on a heck of a game.
                                4 for 4----Single-3 home runs---scored 3 runs---6 RBI.
                                Tops it off with a home run over the roof at Forbes, never done before that day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X