X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bats For The Boys - Ft. Douglas 1926
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• I wish I could get in line to get one of those bats!They appear to all be the same size and model.With their large knobs the model would be the (surprise,surprise)Ruth model.
      Last edited by Nimrod; 01-25-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• The Babe On Ice!
        "To My Friends Frick & Frack, Champions Of the Ice"
        Click Here To See Full-Sized (987 x 1200)
        Where did the slang, "Frick & Frack", come from? Well, you're looking at them. Frick & Frack was the stage name for Swiss comedy ice skaters, Werner Groebli and Hans Mauch. A little more about them here: Frick & Frack. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that skating wasn't one of things that The Babe had a natural talent for.

Comment

• Babe Signs With Baltimore
          1927 Production Still "Babe Comes Home"
          Click Here To See Full-Sized (1800 x 1430)
          Here's a really clean, very large edit which shows the reenactment of Babe signing his first professional contract with Baltimore. Also in the picture are (L-R) Jack Dunn and Ned Hanlon.
          Last edited by BSmile; 01-30-2012, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
            Babe Signs With Baltimore
            1927 Production Still "Babe Comes Home"
            Click Here To See Full-Sized (1800 x 1430)
            Here's a really clean, very large edit which shows the reenactment of Babe signing his first professional contract with Baltimore. Also in the picture are (L-R) Jack Dunn and Ned Hanlon.
            Is the Babe wearing onionskin socks there?
            I've seen this photo before, and Babe's exposed leg is just so bizarre looking.
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
              Is the Babe wearing onionskin socks there?
              I've seen this photo before, and Babe's exposed leg is just so bizarre looking.
              Yeah, very thin dress socks...probably silk.

Comment

• Meusel's Moppet - April 1942
                (L-R) Babe Ruth, Bob Meusel, Sally Meusel & Gary Cooper
                Wow, looks like a new format for posting. Seems pretty good so far....

Comment

• Just got through watching "The Babe" with John Goodman for the umpteenth time, and I was curious, who was actualy larger, Babe, or John Goodman? I know Babe had a large girth, large enough that the reason why the Yankees had their uniforms made with pinstripes was to make him look smaller.

Comment

• I think Goodman was (is) substantially weightier than the Babe. I think the Babe has been ill-served by the two movies made about him. I've always wanted a biopic of him done in the grand manner, but it doesn't seem likely. I've also wondered what Ken Burns could have done with a documentary of Ruth. Also, not to be argumentative, but I don't think those pinstripes had anything to do with Ruth's girth.

Originally posted by MLB4LYF View Post
                    Just got through watching "The Babe" with John Goodman for the umpteenth time, and I was curious, who was actualy larger, Babe, or John Goodman? I know Babe had a large girth, large enough that the reason why the Yankees had their uniforms made with pinstripes was to make him look smaller.
                    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Comment

• I always wondered about that story as well, about the pinstripes. I heard or read somewhere that was Col. Ruperts idea. As far as Ken Burns goes, I have the "Baseball" documentary that he did, and every now and then I start with Inning 1 and watch the whole 9 Innings, as if I'm watching it for the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                        I think Goodman was (is) substantially weightier than the Babe. I think the Babe has been ill-served by the two movies made about him. I've always wanted a biopic of him done in the grand manner, but it doesn't seem likely. I've also wondered what Ken Burns could have done with a documentary of Ruth. Also, not to be argumentative, but I don't think those pinstripes had anything to do with Ruth's girth.
                        The pinstripes first appeared in 1912, Ruth was still at St. Marys. They may have dropped the pinstripes temporarely but were back for good in 1915.
                        As for those two babe movies, Bedix and Goodman....................BURN them right now. They make a superb athlete look like big clumsy oaf. There was a legit very good Babe movie made for TV in the 1990s, that was a good one. Searched every where it is not available.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                          The pinstripes first appeared in 1912, Ruth was still at St. Marys. They may have dropped the pinstripes temporarely but were back for good in 1915.
                          As for those two babe movies, Bedix and Goodman....................BURN them right now. They make a superb athlete look like big clumsy oaf. There was a legit very good Babe movie made for TV in the 1990s, that was a good one. Searched every where it is not available.
                          Shoeless beat me to it, yeah...the Yankees had pins for a full five consecutive seasons before The Babe joined them in 1920.
                          They actually even had road pinstripes in 1916-17.

New York Highlanders/Yankees Uniforms 1903-1920

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                            I'm not sure if this is the one you are referring to, but Stephen Lang, starred in Babe Ruth which was released in 1991.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                              Shoeless beat me to it, yeah...the Yankees had pins for a full five consecutive seasons before The Babe joined them in 1920.
                              They actually even had road pinstripes in 1916-17.

New York Highlanders/Yankees Uniforms 1903-1920
                              I now remember where I heard about the pin-stripes. In the movie "Babe" (with John Goodman) a scene shows where the Babe shows up late for spring training, and Miller Huggins is berating him about all his bad habits, and says "The Col. is adding extra pin stripes this year just to make you look smaller!" that was probably Hollywood's depiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by MLB4LYF View Post
                                I now remember where I heard about the pin-stripes. In the movie "Babe" (with John Goodman) a scene shows where the Babe shows up late for spring training, and Miller Huggins is berating him about all his bad habits, and says "The Col. is adding extra pin stripes this year just to make you look smaller!" that was probably Hollywood's depiction.
                                Indeed. When Babe joined the Yankees in 1920, he was actually still relatively thin (especially compared to later years).
                                Here's a few pics of him from the Polo Grounds in 1920.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X