This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
    Seriously, that would be a cool idea. Seems like retro candy is all the rage these days...Razzles, Teaberry gum, Chunkies. Ruth's Home Run Candy would fit right in.
    Ruth also had a cigar company, resurrecting that would also fit in with present fads.
    Quite agree with you, Hellborn. The classics never go out.

Hersey Bar, Baby Ruth, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Mr. Goodbar, Chunky, Peanut Butter Reese Cups, Rolo, Sno Caps, Chocolate-covered peanuts:

Coke, Pepsi, RootBeer, 7 Up, Grape Soda, Orange Soda, Chocolate Milk,

Comment

I've heard that Babe designed the bar himself and it consisted of pieces of hot dog and steak soaked in whiskey and beer, then covered in chocolate.
      Probably wouldn't fly today...

Seriously, that would be a cool idea. Seems like retro candy is all the rage these days...Razzles, Teaberry gum, Chunkies. Ruth's Home Run Candy would fit right in.
      Ruth also had a cigar company, resurrecting that would also fit in with present fads.
      After being denied any royalties from the Curtiss "Baby Ruth" candy bar as noted earlier on this thread The Bam came out with his own "Ruth's Home Run" bar. Curtiss took Babe to court saying that his candy bar name was too close to their Baby Ruth candy bar. Curtiss won and Babe's own candy bar was like one of his drives going going and gone, it was no more.

Well it looks like the Babe has done it again, he was down but not out. Many years later Nestles took over that Baby Ruth candy bar. And guess who they now shell out cash to..........Babe Ruth's estate, for use of his name and his likeness.

This is a life size cutout I have of the Babe that I "borrowed" with the help of a friend that worked there some years ago. It was on display in a supermarket.

One shot taken from a longer distance and one a bit closer. There it is, upper left, Baby Ruth candy bar..........pay up.

It's like he never left, just a small sample of other business organizations that pay to his estate and family for use of his name and/or likeness. Hewlett Packard, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Liptons, Prudential Insurance, First National Bank, Kelloggs Cereal and many more, stilll bringing in the cash. One that I saved an ad that appeared in the USA TODAY IN THE 1990s, for Sears a fulll page ad.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-21-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
        Quite agree with you, Hellborn. The classics never go out.

Hersey Bar, Baby Ruth, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Mr. Goodbar, Chunky, Peanut Butter Reese Cups, Rolo, Sno Caps, Chocolate-covered peanuts:

Coke, Pepsi, RootBeer, 7 Up, Grape Soda, Orange Soda, Chocolate Milk,
        You got it Bill, these guys.....and gals must have got it right, to stick around all these years, still here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
          It's like he never left, just a small sample of other business organizations that pay to his estate and family for use of his name and/or likeness. Hewlett Packard, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Liptons, Prudential Insurance, First National Bank, Kelloggs Cereal and many more, still bringing in the cash. One that I saved an ad that appeared in the USA TODAY IN THE 1990s, for Sears a full page ad.
          Who actually receives all that royalty revenue? His adopted daughter, Julia, who is still alive living in Conway, New Hampshire? (born around February 16, 1916)

When she passes away, who will then be the recipient and beneficiary? Or will all those companies then finally be off the hook?

I wonder if I could somehow put myself in line for some of that plunder.

If Nestle were really savvy, they'd try to find that original formula for Babe Ruth Home Run bar, and promote a competition between it and the Baby Ruth bar. I always loved Baby Ruth bars. Love the nuts, chocolate, nugent. But can't eat it (and most of my favorite foods) because I've promised the Doc that I'd be good. Life without junk, chocolate, soda is an on-going miserable, wretched, lousy existence, but I must accept their tortures.

Cobb always endorsed a product called Cobb Candy. Someone should get the rights to Cobb Candy and market a competition between that/BR HR Candy bar. Just like of old. Wonder if Cobb candy was any good.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• The Babe gets ready to pitch vs. the Red Sox - September 29, 1933. This would be the last time he ever pitched in a major league game. He won (of course) by pitching a complete 9inn. game. He gave up 12 hits and 5 earned runs. He walked 3 and had zero K's. But hey, he was 38 years old....and HE WON!

Cheers! ~B
            Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
              The Babe gets ready to pitch vs. the Red Sox - September 29, 1933. This would be the last time he ever pitched in a major league game. He won (of course) by pitching a complete 9inn. game. He gave up 12 hits and 5 earned runs. He walked 3 and had zero K's. But hey, he was 38 years old....and HE WON!

Cheers! ~B
              Whats really impressive here, an older ailing Babe Ruth, age 38 pitched the whole 9 innings. In the last 12 years he had pitched only 9 innings and still finished that game in 1933, so much for pitch counts that we see in todays game. His only start in the 12 years previous was on the last day of the season in 1930. That day he went 9 innings and beat the same team, the Boston Red Sox 9-3. Harry Frazee are you looking down on all this, or looking up.

That game in 1933 really took it out on the Babe and when asked why he pitched the whole game he replied, he knew some came just to see him pitch. His arm so tired he tipped his cap with his right hand to those who cheered him as he walked off the field. He said he ate with his right arm for a week, could no lift his left arm.
              Not to be forgotten, he is Babe Ruth and contributed to that 6-5 win hitting his 34th home run of the season.
              Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-24-2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                The Babe gets ready to pitch vs. the Red Sox - September 29, 1933. This would be the last time he ever pitched in a major league game. He won (of course) by pitching a complete 9inn. game. He gave up 12 hits and 5 earned runs. He walked 3 and had zero K's. But hey, he was 38 years old....and HE WON!

Cheers! ~B
                You've gotta think about how bad the Bosox were then...they had a few decent players (Roy Johnson, George Pipgras, Rick Ferrell), but only won 63 games. They had the immortal Smead Jolley trying to avoid having the ball hit to him in LF. If Ruth had been pitching to the Yanks, by some magic, that would probably be 20 hits and 9 runs.
                :cap:
                Still impressive given his age and lack of mound preparation. Babe was DA MAN...
                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

You've gotta think about how bad the Bosox were then...they had a few decent players (Roy Johnson, George Pipgras, Rick Ferrell), but only won 63 games. They had the immortal Smead Jolley trying to avoid having the ball hit to him in LF. If Ruth had been pitching to the Yanks, by some magic, that would probably be 20 hits and 9 runs.
                  :cap:
                  Still impressive given his age and lack of mound preparation. Babe was DA MAN...
                  Thats true on both sides. Bosox not a power house and on the other side the 38 year old pitcher who had pitched only 9 innings in the last 12 years. I'm just suprised he finished, the Yanks were up 6 nothing in the 5th inning.

Comment

• Had a problem looking for that other Babe Ruth thread so I thought I would post this article here. There were at least 3 times when infield pop ups by Ruth turned into doubles, one other involving Jimmy Dykes.

This one was sent to me by one of our posters ELMER, thanks ELMER.
                    How high could a ball be hit that the infielder circles under it and then gets no glove on it and it's a double, three times. It's like he once said ,"I do everything big."
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Hank Greenberg, Babe Ruth, Charlie Gehringer & Lou Gehrig - August 14, 1934

Comment

• The Babe as a Boston Brave - March/April 1935

Comment

• The Babe & Joe Louis - September 28, 1935

Comment

• The Babe & Claire - Opening Day 1931

Comment

• 1) Babe Ruth, Manager Street, Connie Mack, Nick Altrock and John McGraw. At the 1931 World Series - October 6, 1931

2) Fourth Game 1923 World Series: Photo shows left to right; Christy Walsh, Miller Huggins, Pat Moran, Babe Ruth, Nick Altrock, and John McGraw. (Oct.13th)

Comment

• The Babe - October 10, 1923
                                This taken at the Polo Grounds during an exhibition game. That's a NY Giants uniform that The Babe is wearing (note the socks). A really exception photo...and it's huge! It's my desktop image right now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X