Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always been curious... I know Babe had a farm with Helen in Mass. I think is where it was, but where did he live when he stayed in New York? After they split did he live in NYC?

Later in life did he live in the city or have a house with Claire outside the city?

I know Gehrig lived in a house with his parents for a long time before he got married but I've just never heard much about Babe other than his farm.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by TnNYYfan View Post
      I've always been curious... I know Babe had a farm with Helen in Mass. I think is where it was, but where did he live when he stayed in New York? After they split did he live in NYC?

Later in life did he live in the city or have a house with Claire outside the city?

I know Gehrig lived in a house with his parents for a long time before he got married but I've just never heard much about Babe other than his farm.
      When Babe first married second wife Claire April 17, 1929, they rented a 14 room apartment on the 7th floor at 345 West 88th street, NYC. At some point, they moved. By 1936, they lived in an 11 room suite at 173 Riverside Drive in NYC.

Babe & Claire lived with Babe's biological daughter Dorothy, Claire's biological daughter, Julia, and Claire's family. Claire's mother Carrie, brothers Eugene and Hubert. Eugene jumped from their 15th floor apartment on Riverside Drive on January 12, 1936. Suicide.

By 1937, Babe had tired of Claire & had had enough of her domineering ways, and had taken up with a tall, attractive redhead named Loretta, and lived with her for months at a time every year, in a small hamlet on the NJ/NY border, called Greenwood Lake. They were most definitely a couple and loved to fish, hunt, and enjoyed the taverns, restaurants, bars, lodges, etc.

During those times away from NYC, Claire had no idea where he was.

Comment

• In the 1930 Census Ruth and family are listed as living at West 88th Street in Manhattan at the residence of Claire's mother Carrie Merritt.

Carrie Merritt 59
        Eugene Merritt 38
        Hubert Merritt 34
        George Ruth 36
        Clara Ruth 30
        Julia Ruth 13
        Dorothy Ruth 9
        Last edited by Brian McKenna; 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
          When Babe first married second wife Claire April 17, 1929, they rented a 14 room apartment on the 7th floor at 345 West 88th street, NYC. At some point, they moved. By 1936, they lived in an 11 room suite at 173 Riverside Drive in NYC.

Babe & Claire lived with Babe's biological daughter Dorothy, Claire's biological daughter, Julia, and Claire's family. Claire's mother Carrie, brothers Eugene and Hubert. Eugene jumped from their 15th floor apartment on Riverside Drive on January 12, 1936. Suicide.

By 1937, Babe had tired of Claire & had had enough of her domineering ways, and had taken up with a tall, attractive redhead named Loretta, and lived with her for months at a time every year, in a small hamlet on the NJ/NY border, called Greenwood Lake. They were most definitely a couple and loved to fish, hunt, and enjoyed the taverns, restaurants, bars, lodges, etc.

During those times away from NYC, Claire had no idea where he was.
          Those stories ring a bell now that you wrote that. I've read The Big Bam and really the Babe's life is so fascinating to me. With his lifestyle it's a wonder he lived as long as he did.

I seem to remember him getting a a wreck with a young girl and rumors about his "stomach ache" being an STD related illness.

Comment

• 1900 Census: Ancestry.com takes you to page 29 here but listing is actually on page 33

living at 339 South Woodyear Street - a house they shared with another family named Brundige

George H. Sr born June 1871 in MD parents born in MD job "lightning rod agt"
            Kate born July 1874 in MD parents born in Germany
            Geoge Jr. born Feb 1895 in MD

Couple married for 6 years, Kate had 3 children, 1 alive in 1900

George Sr's brother John and family lived next door at 341

Comment

• 1910 Census living at St. Mary's Industrial School

WWII Registration card - living at 173 Riverside Drive

WWI Registration card - can't read address
              Last edited by Brian McKenna; 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Rare shot of The Babe with the 1914 Providence Grays. Carl Mays, top, 3rd from left; Babe Ruth, top, 5th from left.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM.
                Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Looking for unique photo of Babe

All your photos of Babe Ruth are spectacular. I am in search of a very unique photo of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazerri and another player. This photo also has my grandfather in this photo when he was about 12 or 13 years old. Babe, Lou, Tony & another player were in Long Island on a fishing trip when they came to the docks where my grandfather worked. Lou Gherig reached out to my Grandfather and said "come here Red" (because my Grandfather had red hair) and then a photo was snapped. My Grandfather seems to think the photographer was from one of the local newspapers. He has only seen one copy of this photo which was hanging in a diner in New York. Don't know if you have any ideas for me on where to look. I have tried to review many archive photos for newspapers in the area, but most require fees or to come visit and I am in Arizona. I would love to track down this photo as my Grandfathers 90th birthday is upcoming and would be the perfect gift! However, I am not really expecting to find it, but the effort is here! Any help from anyone would be great?? All ideas are welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by TnNYYfan View Post
                    I've always been curious... I know Babe had a farm with Helen in Mass. I think is where it was, but where did he live when he stayed in New York? After they split did he live in NYC?

Thanks!
                    My faulty memory tells me that Babe and Helen stayed at the Ansonia Hotel when in NYC, but that "fact" really needs checking. Their farm was in Sudbury, MA. I would imagine that it has been developed since then, but I'd be curious to find out the real story.

Originally posted by BSmile
                    The Babe and Will Rogers visit a children's hospital - April 14, 1929.
                    That's The Babe's 2nd wife Claire on his right. She looks annoyed.
                    The kids that Babe and Will are holding don't look too happy, either. Guess the Babe's visits weren't always welcome!
                    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by EmilyM View Post
                      All your photos of Babe Ruth are spectacular. I am in search of a very unique photo of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazerri and another player. This photo also has my grandfather in this photo when he was about 12 or 13 years old. Babe, Lou, Tony & another player were in Long Island on a fishing trip when they came to the docks where my grandfather worked. Lou Gherig reached out to my Grandfather and said "come here Red" (because my Grandfather had red hair) and then a photo was snapped. My Grandfather seems to think the photographer was from one of the local newspapers. He has only seen one copy of this photo which was hanging in a diner in New York. Don't know if you have any ideas for me on where to look. I have tried to review many archive photos for newspapers in the area, but most require fees or to come visit and I am in Arizona. I would love to track down this photo as my Grandfathers 90th birthday is upcoming and would be the perfect gift! However, I am not really expecting to find it, but the effort is here! Any help from anyone would be great?? All ideas are welcome.
                      Do you know the town where the photo was shot, and/or the name of the docks where your Grandfather worked? Was it Sheepshead Bay or Freeport, possibly?

Comment

• 1) The Babe being greeted by some old friends at yet another Old Timer's Day - late 1947

2) The Babe signing some autographs in Chicago - 1927

Comment

• 1) The Babe & Jimmie Foxx - 1932

2) The Babe signs a picture for Hank Greenberg - 1947.
                          BTW, this was obviously taken the same day as that pic I posted of Babe showing Hank his old baseball bat.

Comment

• I have a question. Did Ruth ever take a photograph with Josh Gibson?
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• "I have a question. Did Ruth ever take a photograph with Josh Gibson?"

Actually, it seems like they never even got to meet. This quote is from the Josh Gibson Foundation website:

Sean Gibson and Brent Stevens, the great-grandsons of Josh Gibson and Babe Ruth respectively, met in 2004 and instantly connected given the significance of their great-grandfathers in the home run and baseball world. Over time, they started sharing thoughts about the possible "what-if" had Josh and Babe had the chance to meet and interact together, since there is no known record of these two baseball greats having ever crossed paths in person. Those conversations led to this painting, by renowned artist Bill Purdom, which reflects a hypothetical interaction between these two home run superstars.

http://www.joshgibson.org/index.php?page=Merchandise

Comment

• 1) Great headshot of The Babe in uniform before a game...just looking off into the distance and thinkin'.

2) This shot just makes me laugh. That kid gets to have the luckiest day of his life by getting to meet The Babe and take a picture with him....with a big ole patch right in the middle of his forehead! Oh well, I'm sure it was worth it.

3) The Babe showing his classic swing - Brooklyn - June 19, 1938.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X