This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
    I think that Brother Mathias was to Babe what Babe was to the rest of the world. Seems like Mathias was the one man whom Babe respected without question, and Babe wrote that he was the greatest man he had ever met. I think that Mathias can be viewed as Babe's dad in practice, and who knows what would have happened to Ruth without that influence.One of my Ruth books mentions in passing that Babe would occasionally leave $100 tips in coffee shops as a younger man...can you imagine that, back in the '20s??
    This is a bit of a tangent, but a Cramer book on Splinter mentions that, as an older man, he would call up former ballplayers he knew were in financial trouble and browbeat them into sending him a small check for the Jimmy Fund. Once he had the account # from the check, Ted would wire $10k into the struggling man's account.
    Wouldn't Mel Webb liked to have heard about that!!
    I have wondered the same, what would it have been like. Hard to imagine even without Brother Mathias pushing him, his mentor that Ruth's talents would have slipped by, not noticed. Who can say, maybe he would have gotten to MLB later.

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
      Wouldn't Mel Webb liked to have heard about that!!
      I know that Ted didn't get along with Mel Webb very well. But it was a myth that Webb was the Boston sports writer who left Ted's name off of a MVP vote that cost Ted the award. But many people still believe that that person was Mel Webb.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
        Hard to imagine even without Brother Mathias pushing him, his mentor that Ruth's talents would have slipped by, not noticed.
        I agree. Either path would have most likely led to the same place. Whether he went to school as a kid and behaved, not being sent to St. Mary's, or the way it happened. Of course, we cannot downplay Matthias' influence on his future as a person and as a ballplayer, but it wasn't just him. It was also Brother Gilbert and Brother Herman to name a couple others, who had a huge role. In the end, I believe it's good things played out the way they did. Better for everyone. Gave Babe a unique perspective on life and an appreciation for his ability to influence people from all levels of society.

Comment

• Yes, Brother Mathias did seem to have a great and important influence on The Babe. I seem to remember reading that Brother Mathias was a bit of an ass-kicker too...in a good way though. He certainly had The Babe's respect.

Anyhoo.....

Here's another classic Babe pose I think we've all seen....except this is of excellent quality and is (like The Babe)...quite large.

Cheers! ~B
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Happy feet. Unusual stance, notice the front foot and his front shoulder at times turned so the back part of it was facing the pitcher. Not always to the degree shown in the picture but close.
            Attached Files

Comment

• 1) The Babe takes a cut at bp before an exhibition game

2) Babe as an umpire....or he has gas.

3) The Babe gives the trombone a try - 1935

4) Jack Dempsy about to slug The Babe. Dempsy was a pretty big dude!

5) Yet another spring training for Babe & Lou - early 1930's

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                Happy feet. Unusual stance, notice the front foot and his front shoulder at times turned so the back part of it was facing the pitcher. Not always to the degree shown in the picture but close.
                His feet pointed somewhat back towards the catcher, too...this is very unusual, in my experience. Seems like most batters with closed stances still keep their feet roughly perpendicular to a line connecting the pitcher and catcher (I'm sure there are other exceptions). Babe had his body coiled in preparation for an explosive rotation to an extreme degree.

(about Webb and Splinter)
                Was it Webb who wrote, "Why are we having a day for THIS guy?", when Boston gave him a big sendoff for his deployment to Korea?
                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
                  Were there any photos of The Babe taken with Pop Lloyd, or any other Black ballplayers?
                  Not looking good. Went to some SABR members, John Horne from HOF, some who know black history, Wayne Stivers, Dick Clark and Larry Lester, no luck.

Comment

• Here's a great picture of The Babe with Rabbit Maranville early in his short stint with Boston - 1935.

Comment

• Here we have The Babe at St. Vincents Hospital in 1925. He "fell ill" during spring training. This was the infamous "the bellyache heard round the world". Anyway, he was nice enough to pose with some of the kids who were there during his stay.

Comment

• Boy, he sure had some scrawny legs.

Comment

• The BIG deal. One of the payments, ( promissory note)Yanks to Bosox, front and back of check.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• The Babe takes some cuts in the batting cage during his last spring training with the Yankees - 1934

Comment

• The Babe crosses the plate after a home run - 1923 World Series (Oct.11)

Comment

• "How To Throw Curves" by Babe Ruth
                                1930's Puffed Wheat Premium Booklet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X