This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    You folks have done a wonderful job of bringing The Babe back to life. Based on these terrific posts, it appears to me that Babe Ruth would have been a very easy man to like. No wonder he was such a hero in his own era. Thanks for all the pictures.
    I imagine he would be, very easy to like. I think the fact that he always had time for his fans was one of the biggest factors in him being loved so much. I've posted just a few of the letters he wrote to some young ailing children, some terminal, words of encouragment. Even visits to the homes of some of them, one visiting a young boy in Chicago the day before the "called shot" home run in the 1932 World Series. Blinded by an explosion 16 year old Lee Wilber Koeppen, Ruth placed an autographed ball in his hand. Signing autographs for groups of children only a month or two before he passed away. Still searching for a letter he sent to a young boy in Germany, it's out there.

Too many stories to be told but this one gives another reason why the fans loved him. A date set up to meet some royalty, don't recall the specifics might have been the Queen Mother of Romania. Some concern when Babe is a no show an hour or two late. Finally he shows up, muddied shoes, pants with grass stains. His explanation, on the way over he stopped to play some ball with a bunch of kids in a park.
    He knew of no class distinction, a queen or king in his eyes were the same as the kid or man on the street.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
      I imagine he would be, very easy to like. I think the fact that he always had time for his fans was one of the biggest factors in him being loved so much. I've posted just a few of the letters he wrote to some young ailing children, some terminal, words of encouragment. Even visits to the homes of some of them, one visiting a young boy in Chicago the day before the "called shot" home run in the 1932 World Series. Blinded by an explosion 16 year old Lee Wilber Koeppen, Ruth placed an autographed ball in his hand. Signing autographs for groups of children only a month or two before he passed away. Still searching for a letter he sent to a young boy in Germany, it's out there.

Too many stories to be told but this one gives another reason why the fans loved him. A date set up to meet some royalty, don't recall the specifics might have been the Queen Mother of Romania. Some concern when Babe is a no show an hour or two late. Finally he shows up, muddied shoes, pants with grass stains. His explanation, on the way over he stopped to play some ball with a bunch of kids in a park.
      He knew of no class distinction, a queen or king in his eyes were the same as the kid or man on the street.
      Was this the boy being treated by Dr. Victor Frankenstein, SHOELESSJOE?

Comment

• Originally posted by EXCELSIOR View Post
        Was this the boy being treated by Dr. Victor Frankenstein, SHOELESSJOE?
        Yes it was that boy.

Comment

• A letter written by Tom Zachary in which he speaks of The Babe's 60th home run. Some parts not very legible. Some of the words
          ..... 3 and 2 count..... but made a bad mistake.... I should have thrown a fast one at his big fat head. Thats not very nice Tom.

Join the club of what I should have done pitchers.

Charlie Root "should have thown the pitch and ducked." Words to that effect.

Flint Rhem after Babe hit his second home run off of him in the 1926 World Series. " I should have thrown the fast ball. The first home run was hit off a slow pitch on the advice of Roger's Hornsby. Facing Babe the second time Hornsby came to the mound. He told me to stay with the slow stuff telling me Babe was lucky the first time. Now I have Babe 3-2 and Hornsby gives me the signal slow stuff. Well I did ane Babe hit his second off of me, deep right center field over the pavillion roof and across Grand Avenue."

I wonder how many pitchers said that about The Bam........"I should have."
          Attached Files

Comment

• Here is the Babe in that 1926 World Series game Sportsmans Park, where he hit two home runs off of Flint Rehm over the roof in right. Later in the game he hits number 3 off of Herman Bell into the bleachers in dead center.
            Attached Files

Comment

A letter written by Tom Zachary in which he speaks of The Babe's 60th home run. Some parts not very legible.
              "Dear Mr. ___,
              I had been traded back to Washington from St. Louis Browns, July _. They (Washington) felt what if they had a left hander who could beat the Yankees, they could win the pennant, I had failed to win any of five previous starts and wanted desperately to win that fifth one, and had them tied, 2-2 in 8th, 2 outs, one man on, and a count of 3 balls 2 strikes on Ruth. I threw him a curve but I made a bad mistake, I should have thrown a fast one at his big fat head, last game 4-2. Sincerely, Tom Zachary"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
                "Dear Mr. ___,
                I had been traded back to Washington from St. Louis Browns, July _. They (Washington) felt what if they had a left hander who could beat the Yankees, they could win the pennant, I had failed to win any of five previous starts and wanted desperately to win that fifth one, and had them tied, 2-2 in 8th, 2 outs, one man on, and a count of 3 balls 2 strikes on Ruth. I threw him a curve but I made a bad mistake, I should have thrown a fast one at his big fat head, last game 4-2. Sincerely, Tom Zachary"
                Thanks Bill. There was the other side to this letter. To be brief Tom describes it as a tremendous drive, but says he thought it was foul, appeared dismayed that no one back him on that, not even his own team questioned the fair or foul.

Comment

• I am related to Tom Zachary. It's the closest to Ruth I'll ever get.

Comment

Here is the Babe in that 1926 World Series game Sportsmans Park, where he hit two home runs off of Flint Rehm over the roof in right. Later in the game he hits number 3 off of Herman Bell into the bleachers in dead center.

Here is the result of that second home run off of Rehm. The auto dealer left the window broken for over a week to draw the public to his showroom.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the Babe in that 1926 World Series game Sportsmans Park, where he hit two home runs off of Flint Rehm over the roof in right. Later in the game he hits number 3 off of Herman Bell into the bleachers in dead center.
                      Some of Babe's longest shots and greatest days took place at Sportsmans Park. Twice in one WS game he hit two home runs 1926 and 1928. The one in 1928 not full of all the dramatics of the 1932 WS home run off of Charlie Root but similar in some ways. It was the "quick pitch" confrontation leading to the Cards coming on to the field and some nasty name calling between the Card team with pitcher Willie Sherdel leading the way and The Babe being himself standing at home plate with a mock applaud of the angry Cards and grinning at the irate card team when the ump disallowed the quick pitch third strike.

This is the third home run off of Herman Bell to dead center near the rear of the bleachers in the 1926 WS. The ball took one hop and out of the park and came to rest in front of the YMCA building.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• A young Babe having fun at Yankees spring training - Arkansas
                        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• The Babe eating a sandwich.
                          Yes, we've (I've) reached rock-bottom here at Babe Ruth Pictures!
                          Hahaha....just kidding.
                          There's a lot more great pics to come......
                          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Where it all started, where the young Babe was roamed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Poor quality but a rare sequence of Babe with a head first slide to home, close play but he was out, Washington Senators. A very hard collision with the catcher. In the whole sequence Babe lies stunned for about 5 seconds, gets to his feet dusts off and walks to the dugout.

There is one more shot at the end. As he lay there for a few seconds Walter Johnson leans over him, seems concerned that Babe may have been hurt on the play.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I would assume an exhibition game, in this pic as Babe runs off the field a young boy leaps on his back.

Even during regular season games security was lax and thats putting it mildly, seems there was no security at all. In 1927 after Babe hit a home run a spectator ran on to the field and made off with his bat, ushers chased him down and retreived the bat.

If you can believe and picture this................it did happen, from the NY Times. After hitting number 56 in 1927 Babe carried his bat around the bases. A young boy jumped the rail and met Babe at third base. The boy grabbed on to the bat and Ruth ran the last 90 feet carrying the bat and the boy.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X