X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    BSmile,
    LOVE the color photos! Here are a few that I found.

Babe Ruth & Jack Bentley in Giants uniforms for exhibition game; Jack Dunn in middle. October 1923.

Is there any way someone can finagle it so the Babe's appearing in a Mets uniform?????

X

Comment

Here's Babe Ruth's rookie card... a 1914 Baltimore News issue showing him as a pitcher with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League.

It sold for over $150,000 at auction in 2006. For more information on the background of this card click here.
      X

Comment

Dance Babe, Dance!!

sigpic

Comment

Ruth & The 1927 Yankees (HUGE!!!)

I thought that I'd share the biggest and best picture of the 1927 Yankees that I've ever come across. (It's 2696 x 2100). I didn't make this picture any bigger btw....I left it the size that I found it in. That's The Babe, 5th from the left in the back row.

Cheers! ~B

----------------------------1927 New York Yankees: 110-44, .714, 19 g ahead, (WS: W 4-0)--- Yankees BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Lou Gehrig (1B), Herb Pennock (P), Tony Lazzeri (2B), Wilcy Moore (RP), Babe Ruth (RF), Don Miller, Bob Meusel (LF), Bob Shawkey (P), Waite Hoyt (P), Joe Giard (P), Ben Paschal (OF), ?, Doc Woods (trainer).

Middle Row, L-R: Urban Shocker (P), Joe Dugan (3B), Earl Combs (CF), Charles O'Leary (coach), Miller Huggins Mgr.), Art Fletcher (coach), Mark Koenig (SS), Walter 'Dutch' Ruether (P), Johnny Grabowski (C), George Pipgras (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Julie Wera (3B), Mike Gazella (3B), Pat Collins (C), Eddie Bennett (mascot), Benny Bengough (C), Ray Morehart (2B), Myles Thomas (P), Cedric Durst (OF)
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM.
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

What a great picture ! Thanks for leaving it large. The kids standing in the isle, (just above Babe's head), each are holding a book. They must be waiting for the photographer to finish so they can get some autographs.

Comment

Babe Ruth on the ground

Comment

Babe Ruth on the ground

Babe Ruth with cigar in his hands

Babe Ruth waving

All Aboard

Babe Ruth 1934

Babe Ruth, Gehrig, Greenberg, Gehringer

Babe Ruth as a Red Sox

Babe Ruth with a young fan

Batter Up

Babe Ruth helping out

Comment

Oh the horrible irony!

A Raleigh Cigarette Ad from 1945 featuring The Babe.
                  It's amazing how ignorant people were of the dangers of smoking back in the day. This ad is beyond ironic.
                  ~B

Comment

Originally posted by Geoge H Ruth View Post

Babe two months before he died
                    Interestingly enough, the Yale player in that photo is George HW Bush (the former president, father of the current US president George W Bush).

That photo with Dempsey at breakfast has always been slightly disturbing to me...the robes, the feet touching. Maybe they were great pals, but I have a hard time looking at it.
                    Last edited by hellborn; 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM.
                    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                      Interestingly enough, the Yale player in that photo is George HW Bush (the former president, father of the current US president George W Bush).
                      Ya I know that's why I find that picture so facinating,

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                      That photo with Dempsey at breakfasthas always been slightly disturbing to me...the robes, the feet touching. Maybe they were great pals, but I have a hard time looking at it.
                      I've always been a fan of this picture, just becomes both of these atheletes were icons in their respective sport.

Comment

The Babe & George W.

Here's another image from that infamous event...

Comment

Not Dubya! Dubya's Dad...

That's HW, not W!!

The father is George Herbert Walker Bush, the son is George Walker Bush. The Walker's were a very prominent family that the Bush's married into, giving them a big power and social prominence boost.

Illinois' governor when I was a kid was Dan Walker, not sure if there is any relation...

I think that it is cool that there are photos of Jack and Babe together, and I like the one where they have their forearms together and are comparing biceps. Babe wasn't put to shame by Dempsey's arm at all...just don't care for the robe one!
                          Jack and Babe were both forces of nature, and are classic '20s figures. Both also had extremely harsh childhoods, with Jack's probably being worse. Interestingly, I just read that Gene Tunney was in bed somewhat with Arnold Rothstein, and that may have had an effect upon the officiating in his bouts with Dempsey...
                          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

My bad...

Just a quick, non-thinking typo. I know all about the Walker/Bush history. In fact, The Walker Cup Match golf tournament is named after George Herbert Walker who came up with the idea and donated the cup itself (starting in 1922).
                            ~B

Comment

Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                              Just a quick, non-thinking typo. I know all about the Walker/Bush history. In fact, The Walker Cup Match golf tournament is named after George Herbert Walker who came up with the idea and donated the cup itself (starting in 1922).
                              ~B
                              Hmmm...you've taught me something new!

Kind of reminds me of kings marrying their kids off into each other's families to cement alliances...some things never change!

Comment

BSmile posted a photo of Babe and President Harding in Post #40 (first picture below). Here is another shot from that day (second picture below).

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X