Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if you guys know what sigs are but I decided to do two of them one of Babe Ruth that i'll be posting here here, and the other one in the Ty Cobb thread, hopefully you guys like them.

Comment

• Some more of The Babe:

1) The Babe, Gary Cooper & the executives from "The Pride of the Yankees" 1942

2) The Babe shakes hands with Kenesaw M. Landis - 1921 (Bob Meusel looks on)

3) The shakes hands with Bob Meusel at the Polo Grounds

4) The Babe plays umpire - 1932

5) An awesome letter from The Babe dated Aug.11, 1944. That's one hell of a ball he sent to little Vern!

Cheers! ~B
      Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post

4) The Babe plays umpire - 1932
        This picture should also get posted in the "Whats wrong with youth sports" thread. Home plate looks like a piece of cardboard. The catcher's not wearing any gear besides a mask. The kid's holding a bat as big as he is and nobody is yelling at him about his feet or elbows. Yet - the kids look happy !

5) An awesome letter from The Babe dated Aug.11, 1944. That's one hell of a ball he sent to little Vern!
        Amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
          Was there any listing of player names in that fantastic Yankee 1933 spring training photo?

Sorry Bill, there wasn't a listing of names for the 1933 NYY pic.
          ~B
          OK, thanks. BTW - When you went back and found that listing of names for the 1909 Detroit Tigers, you have no idea how many hours of hard work you saved me. So, many, many thanks for always including the dates, names, etc. We, or should I say I, live for the little details. They are precious to me.

Comment

• I don't know much about the pricing of sports memorabilia, but if that baseball, signed by all those stars, is in good shape with the autographs still clearly visible, if sold by Sotheby's or Christie's Auctions, and well-publicized could sell for well over $200,000. Maybe $1m. if a couple of rich collectors really got into a bidding war over it.

Comment

• Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth and Kenishi Zenimura

Babe and Claire on their honeymoon

The American League All-Stars, including Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx, Earl Averill, Lefty Gomez, and Connie Mack.

Julia, Claire and Babe in Vancouver

On October 22, 1924, Babe Ruth played an exhibition game in Dunsmuir

Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth

Some of Ruth's young Japanese fans

Babe with Gold Clubs

Ruth's casket leaving the funeral Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral

Babe Waving Wife Claire (right) & Mrs. Lefty Gomez in background

I apologize in advance if there's any doubles.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-24-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Try to find Babe

Testing Babe

More Test on the Babe

Babe in a boat

Babe Ruth 1947

Babe Boxing

Babe golfing
                Last edited by George H Ruth; 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• 1926 Ws

While this isn't exactly a "Babe Ruth" picture...it is pretty amazing. This is a wide panoramic shot of the 4th game of the 1926 World Series (Oct.6th), Sportsman's Park - St. Louis. This is the day that The Babe hit three home runs.
                  Enjoy! ~B

Comment

• Originally posted by bkmckenna View Post
                    All batters can hit from both sides of the plate. That doesn't mean they can hit ML pitching from the other side. I doubt even the greatest Ruth booster would make that claim.
                    You called, I'm one of the greatest Ruth boosters.I don't make that claim and I think even Babe never made that claim but he did switch hit, bat from the right side at least half a dozen times that I know of. I have a few that are documented.

First, his reason for switching not because he thought himself a capable RH hitter. It was out of frustration when he knew the other team was going to put him on, IBB. As early as 1918 he was striking fear into opponents. One game in his last 3 at bats he was given and IBB. Next game he was given an IBB in his first two at bats. Two game stretch he was given 5 consecutive IBBs, the Boston Globe was calling him the "Boston Terror."

Here are two articles, two occasions when out of frrustration knowing they were putting him on he batted RH. The first time they threw him a strike batting RH so he went back to batting LH, they pitched to him and they paid.

Second time he batted RH in the 11th and 13th inning, they took no chances, 4 wide pitches.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• One more time, May 21 1930 at Shibe Park Philadelphia. He already hit 3 home runs in this game. The third probably the longest ever there. Cleared the fence, the street the roofs of the first row of houses across the steet the back yard and landed on the roof of the next house.

Last at bat they choose to walk him. He takes two strikes batting RH then goes back to LH and strikes out. Could have been a chance for him to join the 4 home runs in a game club.

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        I don't know much about the pricing of sports memorabilia, but if that baseball, signed by all those stars, is in good shape with the autographs still clearly visible, if sold by Sotheby's or Christie's Auctions, and well-publicized could sell for well over $200,000. Maybe $1m. if a couple of rich collectors really got into a bidding war over it.
                        Here's a picture of the ball Babe sent young Vern.

The ball went for $10,755 at an October 2006 Heritage auction - and Babe's letter was included in the lot, so that price is for both items.

As you can see from the picture, the ball was far from perfect; some of the other signatures are poorly visible. In addition, the ball itself was shellacked, although Vern had a pretty good excuse for doing so: he was following Babe Ruth's advice. The letter includes Babe's recommendation that "If you will have your Father or some one cover this ball with white shellac, the signatures will not wear off and you can keep it for an indefinite period."

Here's a link to Heritage's complete description of the lot, where you'll also find more photos of the ball with some of the other signatures.
                        X

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          Here's a picture of the ball Babe sent young Vern.]

The ball went for $10,755 at an October 2006 Heritage auction - and Babe's letter was included in the lot, so that price is for both items.

As you can see from the picture, the ball was far from perfect; some of the other signatures are poorly visible.
                          If that was my ball, I would have taken the precaution to put a minimum price of $200,000. on it.

Guess they failed to get the rich collectors there for the auction. Or didn't publicize it adequately. Never catch me selling that ball for peanuts like that. He gave it away.

Comment

• Mr. Ruth.....

More pix....

1&2) The Babe - 1947. Appears to be some sort of business meeting? I'm not quite sure what's going on here....I only know that these were taken in 1947.

3) Nice press photo of The Babe along with Al Simmons, Lou G. and Jimmie Foxx at the 1934 All-Star Game. (Aug.16, 1934 - New York)

4) Dizzy Dean & The Babe - 1935. Really nice vivid shot.

5) Finally.....The Babe and his hunting buddies. Not sure of the year....very hard to tell for sure.

Cheers! ~B

Comment

• 1) The Babe on the golf course with a friend.

2) Nice formal portrait of The Babe - 1930's

3) The Babe on a horse - Georgia 1920's

4) The Babe hanging out in Canada (from a scrapbook) - Winter 1927

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                                If that was my ball, I would have taken the precaution to put a minimum price of $200,000. on it.

Guess they failed to get the rich collectors there for the auction. Or didn't publicize it adequately. Never catch me selling that ball for peanuts like that. He gave it away.
                                Unless it's a really, really rare signature, and the fact that it's not really a "theme" ball but just a random collection of signatures, the mere presence of multiple autographs on a ball doesn't necessarily increase its value in and of itself. And, again, the condition of the ball and the quality of the signatures has to be taken into account. It's entirely possible that if it were your ball, and you did put a reserve of $200,000 on it, it might not have sold.
                                X

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X