Ruth at Helens funeral

Babe in Yarmouth

Babe looks stunning in 1920's

Babe with Jack Dempsey

Babe smiling for the camara

Babe, Douglas, Buck Weaver, 1919-1920

Babe Ruth and two other gentlemans

Babe playing pool
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      Unless it's a really, really rare signature, and the fact that it's not really a "theme" ball but just a random collection of signatures, the mere presence of multiple autographs on a ball doesn't necessarily increase its value in and of itself. And, again, the condition of the ball and the quality of the signatures has to be taken into account. It's entirely possible that if it were your ball, and you did put a reserve of $200,000 on it, it might not have sold.
      That is probably true. If I had such a ball, and wanted to sell it at a major auction, I'd first do some homework.

I would have some handwriting analysts authenticate the various signatures. I would do some homework to find the collectors who specialize in that particular form of collecting. Collectors are notorious in that they want ONLY what they want, and not similar items.

I'd also make some concerted effort to get the 'right' bidders there, all at once. I would have sent photos to the 'right' bidders. In other words, I'd shop the item around first, doing my reconassance.

I'd also contact the sellers of such an item, to ascertain their estimated values, to give me an idea of the past selling of such items.

Selling an item requires some pre-selling work, in order to maximize its selling price. If I didn't get what I felt the item was worth, I'd hold on to it. Like selling a house, there are favorable and unfavorable conditions for a sale. Sometimes, one cannot afford to make a mistake on a big-ticket item.

Comment

• Babe Ruth in the locker room

Babe, Ruppert Jr

Babe, Cochcrane 1934

Dickey, Babe, Gomez 1920's

BabeRuth 1936
        Last edited by George H Ruth; 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• A couple of pic's from Babe Ruth Day - August 1947 - Seals Stadium, San Francisco CA. Nice quality pic's....

Cheers! ~B
          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Walter Johnson, Benny Bengough, Billy Evans and Ruth before the Babe staged his home run exhibition for the Army-Navy Relief Fund at Yankee Stadium, August 23, 1942.

Babe Ruth in Pride of the Yankees

Babe Ruth has a Dodger

Babe Ruth, a Boston Braves vice president and right-fielder, before a game with the Cubs at Wrigley Field in Chicago in 1935

Babe Ruth with Gator

Babe Ruth & Bat Boy April 27, 1947

Babe Ruth with Mel Allen 1947

Comment

• The Babe - 1916 - Boston Red Sox

Comment

• Old Comic Ad's

Here's a couple of classic Quaker Puffed Rice comic advertisements featuring The Babe - circa.1930's

Cheers! ~B

Comment

• Babe Ruth vase made in Japan.

Outside a baseball stadium in Japan is a statue of Babe Ruth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post

5) Finally.....The Babe and his hunting buddies. Not sure of the year....very hard to tell for sure.
                    It looks like he has the beginings of a mustach and beard. I've never seen that before, he always looks so clean cut and well dressed out of uniform. Great picture.

Comment

• Babe Ruth billing outside a theater.

In 1926 Ruth was paid 12000.00 a week to appear on stage by a booking agent, Pantages. At that time it was the highest paid fee for an individual act, including the biggest names in Hollywood and on the vaudville circuit. Thats saying a lot for a baseball player. Wondering how much money he made in his career, his salary from the Yanks, his income from endorsments, exhibition games and this and a couple of other paid appearances on stage.

His whole act, to walk out on the stage and be himself Babe Ruth. No script just banter and joke with the patrons. His act was a success in his first appearance after walking on stage the crowd stood and cheered for minutes.

After one appearance he was arrested, yes arrested for violation of the child labor law. His crime inviting a group of children to come on stage and join in the act. Of course the charge was later dropped.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• 1) Babe Ruth - 1933 Blue Bird Juice Card

2) The Babe & Lord and Lady Mountbatten (Oct.5, 1922)

3) The Babe & Wife Arrive - Fairmont Hotel 40's.

Comment

• Babe Ruth playing racket ball

Babe Ruth signing autographs

Babe Ruth on the radio

Bill Savett with Babe Ruth in 1920

Comment

• 1) The Babe warms up before his duel with Walter Johnson - 1942

2) The Babe at batting practice - many years earlier

Comment

• The Babe takes a quick pose during pre-game warmups. Kind of a "ghostly" image of our Babe. Don't know the year (late 20's?) or the ballpark. Anyone?
                              ~B

Comment

• Looks like Comiskey to me.
                                X

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X