X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee County Stadium - June 30, 1954
    Nice view from the 3rd base side!
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• Mickey Mantle Day - September 18, 1965
      A great picture from the 1st MM Day. The other was on June 8, 1969 when they retired his No.7
      In the background is Mickey's wife Merlyn, one of his sons and Bobby Kennedy.
      Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• East-West Game - August 23, 1936 - Comiskey Park, Chicago
        Perhaps the coolest Negro League picture I've ever found...
        Click Here To See Full-Sized
        Last edited by BSmile; 05-13-2011, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• (Lefty) Tyler Day, Boston National League Grounds. Sept. 30th 1913
          I don't have a lot of details about this panoramic, but what a great picture it is! Obviously, this picture was taken outside the ballpark on the special day held for "Lefty" George Albert Tyler, who was one of the main three pitchers the following year on the World Championship 1914 (Miracle) Boston Braves team. Cheers! ~B
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BSmile; 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• 1936 New York Yankees - "The Italians"---Tony Lazzeri, Jake Ruppert, Joe DiMaggio, Frankie Crosetti.
            The dynasty continues.....
            Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Moose, Minnie, Nellie & Mickey.
              How's that for some names! Haha...taken on July 24, 1957

Originally posted by hellborn
              Say...look at that bat!!!
              It appears that Nellie stuck second base in his cheek, too.
              :cap:
              Great photo!

Seeing Nellie made me think of "Jungle" Jim Rivera in "Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio?" Jim was just another working stiff at the time of his interview, and he's shown staring forlornly out of his apartment window in the photo accompanying it. Jim spoke at length about how much he missed his great friend Nellie, who had died before he reached 50. Jim didn't seem like a guy who just sat around feeling sorry for himself, just one whose glory days were long past and didn't even have his best friend from that time around to reminisce with. Very poignant portrayal.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BSmile; 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• 'It's All Right, Lou' - Lou Gehrig Returns - June 21, 1939
                A pristine shot of Lou on the bench with McCarthy, plus the actual press release from the back of that picture.
                Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Gehrig watches Crosetti cross the plate - Fenway Park, Boston - 1936
                  Here's a great/large/pristine picture of Frank Crosetti scoring against the Red Sox in 1936. None other than Lou Gehrig looking on with two bats in his left hand. That's the infamous Moe Berg catching for the Red Sox. I don't know the umpire though...
                  Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Farewell Yankee Stadium!

Billy & Mickey - 1952 World Series - Yankee Stadium
                    What can I say about this classic picture...there will never be another Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle or Yankee Stadium. Well, there will be another Yankee Stadium...but it won't be the same.
                    Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• St. Louis Cardinals Team - Spring Training - 1930's
                      I don't have any specifics for this great photo. In fact, when I found it, it was attributed as simply being a baseball team from the 1920's. Obviously it's the Cardinals (unis)...and obviously that is Dizzy Dean standing two places to the left of the man with the suit & tophat (on the bridge). I would take a guess that this is a spring training photo originating from Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was in pretty bad shape when I found it...so I brought it back to life as much as possible. Cheers! ~B

Originally posted by Bill Burgess
                      Wow, BSmile. Great photo of the Cardinals. I have narrowed it down to either the 1930 or the 1932 team. Dizzy was on both teams. If you notice the guy in the top left, with his arms crossed and his cap on the side of his head? Only one guy ever wore his cap in such a silly fashion, and that was Sunny Jim Bottomley. Sure enough, Jim was on the team 1930-32. But Dean was not on the 1931 team. Right below Bottomley sits Frankie Frisch. Standing between Bottomley and the gentleman in the 10-gallon hat is manager, Gabby Street. Below Frisch looks a lot like Pepper Martin.
                      Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Old-Timer's Day - Shea Stadium - June 23, 1963
                        I really wish that all these Old-Timer's were filmed. Hank Greenberg in a full Tigers uni...how classic!

Old-Timers Day: June 23, 1963, Polo Grounds. L-R: unidentified, Joe McCarthy, Hank Greenberg, Bill Dickey, Frankie Frisch, Zack Wheat, Max Carey, Sam Rice, Carl Hubbell, Casey Stengel. The NL beat the AL in 2 innings, 8-0. (New York Times, June 23, 1963, pp. 158.)

Originally posted by GaryL
                        Great pic, BSmile!...I love Old-Timers Day shots! And this is a real good one!

I can't believe how "young" Edd Roush looks. And I wonder why he has a Giants uniform on (especially a SF Giants uniform) instead of a Reds uniform.

Great job on the identifications, too (Bill...was that you?). That Cardinal does look like Hornsby, but I agree...it's definitely Frisch. Hornsby died in January '63 (I think I mentioned before that I met Hornsby a couple times in the early '60's...he was friends with my grandfather and they used to go the the Arlington Park Race Track together).
                        Originally posted by Bill Burgess
                        I only listed what the photo in the New York Times gave. In fact, I don't think that looks like Edd Roush at all. It could be Giants' manager, Al Dark.
                        Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Ty Cobb - April 1931 - San Francisco, CA
                          The Georgia Peach Goes To Work On The Apple
                          Here's a wonderful, large-scale picture of Ty at an exhibition in 1931. I get the feeling that he was STILL the best hitter in the entire park that day...even in a suit and dress shoes. Included is the original backing tag to the photo.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Joe DiMaggio - Late 1940's

Here's a great, super-large photo of Joe in full uniform, including his jacket. I'm not really sure on the exact year...but it appears to be post WW2 at least...it could even be 1950-51. BTW, awesome work on the Tigers/Cobb pic ID's!

Originally posted by Babefan
                            Thanks BS for the Joe pic! Though it is common I didnt have one so clear! Great job! Do you have any other great advertisements like the 4 Bradley Sweater ads you posted awhile back? They were amazing and are a great addition to the ol baseball den! Love those ads!
                            Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• 1950 Philadelphia Phillies Capture The NL Pennant
                              Since we're in a rare Phillies WS year, here's the Whiz Kids letting loose after winning the NL Crown.

1950 Philadelphia Phillies: The Whiz Kids; 91-63, .591, 2 g ahead, (WS L 4-0 to Yankees)---BB Ref
                              Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• 1939 New York Yankees - On The Road
                                This is a rare and pristine image from the original negative. I love pic's like this. Still has all the original markings etc...so cool to see that. I wish it were the original size, but oh well. Enjoy! ~B

1939 New York Yankees; 106-45, .702, 17 g ahead, (WS W 4-0 over Reds)---BB Ref
                                Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X