This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Post #118
    My grandfather was Ted "Snooze" Goulait. He was a pitcher called up in September of 1912 and pitched his one and only regular season game on September 28. He was also with the team for the following spring training season and pitched in a game on March 27. Unfortunately, he died in 1936, 23 years before I was born. My mother was his only child. I have this one photo, which must have been taken in the spring of 1913, since Jim Thorpe is in it as well. I'm asking anyone with any photos, clips, scans, anything at all. It would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail address is [email protected].
    Thanks,
    Mike Schrader

I found this photo this morning totally by chance. It's a pretty bad quality picture, BUT more importantly, it does provide some more clues. Player #15 is credited as being "Gaulet" which I would assume is really Goulait. It's NOT the exact same picture as Mike originally posted, but it was obviously taken within minutes of it. Now we know it was taken in Marlin, Texas. A pretty cool find, I only wish it was larger and clearer.

~B

1913 New York Giants; 101-51, .664, 12.5 games ahead, (WS L 4-1 to A's)---BB Reference---Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Josh DeVore (OF), Toney (?), George Burns (LF), Heine Groh (3B), Ferdie Schupp (P), Milt Stock (SS), Jeff Tesreau (P), Buck Herzog (3B), Dave Robertson (1B), Harry Smith (C), Homer Thompson (C?), Joe Evers (UT).

2nd Row From Top, L-R: Wilbert Robinson (Coach), Al Demaree (P), Moose McCormack (OF), Claude Cooper (OF), Jim Thorpe (OF), Christy Mathewson (P), Tillie Shafer (UT), Ed Andrews (Coach?).

3rd Row From Top, L-R: John McGraw (Mgr.), Ted Goulait (P), Chief Meyers (C), Red Ames (P), Grover Hartley (C), Art Fletcher (SS), Hooks Wiltse (P), Beals Becker (OF?), Jack Robinson (Coach).

Bottom Row, L-R: Larry Doyle (2B), Fred Merkle (1B), Doc Crandall (P), Art Wilson (C), Red Murray (RF), undentified.

Originally posted by bearman14
    Here he is enjoy.
    Last edited by BSmile; 02-12-2011, 10:50 PM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• For reference...Mike's original pic (resized smaller)

1913 New York Giants; 101-51, .664, 12.5 games ahead, (WS L 4-1 to A's)---BB Reference---(Player Identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top Row, L-R: Al Demaree –standing, (P), George Burns (LF), unidentified, Heinie Groh (SS), Ferdie Schupp (P), Milt Stock (SS), Jeff Treseau (P), Buck Herzog (3B), Dave Robertson (1B), Harry Smith (C), Homer Thompson (C?), Joe Evers (UT).

2nd Row From Top, L-R: Chief Meyers (C), Fred Toney (P), Claude Cooper (OF), Jim Thorpe (OF), Christy Mathewson(P), Yank Robinson (coach), Ed Andrews (Coach?).

3rd Row From Top, L-R: Wilbert Robinson (Coach), Moose McCormack (OF?), Ted Goulait (P), Art Wilson (C), Hooks Wiltse (P), Red Ames (P), Art Fletcher(SS), LaRue Kirby (P), Josh DeVore (OF).

Bottom Row, L-R: Larry Doyle (2B), Fred Merkle (1B), Tillie Shafer (UT), John McGraw (Mgr), Grover Hartley (C), Red Murray (OF), Art Fromme (P), Doc Crandall (P).
      Child may be son or daughter of Tillie Shafer.
      Last edited by BSmile; 02-12-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• There's some wonderful collaboration going on here (and of course it involves Bill). Props to BSmile for starting this up. If you contributors don't mind, I'd love to share a few photos from my collection. If any of these have already been posted, forgive me.

To start off:

1921 Baltimore Orioles
        Lefty Grove (P, far right)

Originally posted by BSmile
        Thanks E.Banks#14!

The World Series pic is in here somewhere, but the Orioles pic is new...very cool. Even though I started this thread and have contributed most of the pictures here, I certainly welcome any worthy additions...which yours absolutely is.

Cheers! ~B
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM.
        A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

• Thanks Bill!
          Praise is always nice...but new pictures are even nicer!!!
          Of course, pictures with names are just about the nicest...so here's:

1907 Brooklyn Superbas; 65-83 .439, 5th place, 40 g behind---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: George Bell (P), Nap Rucker (P), John Hummell (Utility), Al Burch (LF), Harry McIntire (P), Tim Jordan (1B), Harry Lumley (RF), Bill Bergen (C), Jim Pastorius (P), Elmer Stricklett (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Bill 'Doc' Scanlan (P), Billy Maloney (CF), Charles 'Whitey' Alpermann (2B), Lew Ritter (C), Patsy Donovan (OF), Charles Ebbets (Owner), H Medicus, Phil Lewis (SS), James 'Doc' Casey (3B), Emil Batch (OF).
          Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Here's one that I'm sure Bill will especially like...don't you have a baseball executives thread Bill? Well then, here are the:
            1912 American League Executives
            Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Reds/Cubs; April 11, 1912; First game ever held at Crosley Field (then Redland Field)---Wikipedia (Crosley Field)
              Crosley Field (then Redland Field) first game ever 1912 4-11-12.jpg
              That was the largest size I could find of the full shot, but did find a portion of it larger.

Crosley Field (then Redland Field) first game ever 1912 4-11-12 (2).jpg
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM.
              A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

• Pirates/Cubs, at Pittsburgh's Expositon Park, July 2, 1908.---Wikipedia (Exposition Park)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-25-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• No baseball game going on here, but still a pretty amazing shot.

October 31, 1920: 100,000 people gather at Navin Field protesting against a school amendment

Originally posted by BSmile
                  Amazing shot indeed. Love it!
                  Navin Field was the Detroit Tigers ballpark before it was renamed Briggs Stadium. I realize that most of us (in this thread) know this...but I thought I might mention it for newcomers etc.

Keep 'em comin!
                  ~B
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Here's a different shot of the 1945 Detroit Tigers.
                    Easier to identify the players than the other pic I posted thanks to the autographs...well, except for those two guys in the 3rd row...jerks!
                    Hahaha....just kidding. Cheers! ~B

1945 Detroit Tigers; 88-65, .575, 1.5 games ahead, (WS W 4-3 over Cubs)---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: Joe Hoover (SS), Chuck Hostetler (OF), Roger 'Doc' Cramer (CF), Art Houtteman (P), Hack Miller (C), Dr. R.D. Forsyck (trainer).

Second from Top Row, L-R: Walt Wilson (P), Pat McLaughlin (P), Joe Orell (P), Russ Kerns, Zeb Eaton (P), Red Borom (2B), Dizzy Trout (P),

Next to Bottom Row, L-R: Rudy York (1B), Roy Cullenbine (RF), Jimmy Outlaw (UF), Hub Walker (OF), Hank Greenberg (LF), Les Mueller (P), Skeeter Webb (SS), Eddie Mayo (2B),

Bottom Row, L-R: Bob Swift (C), Bob Maier (3B), Al Benton (P), Art Mills (coach), Steve O'Neil (Mgr.), Paul Richards (C), Hal Newhouser (P), Stubby Overmire (P).
                    Last edited by BSmile; 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• 1953 New York Yankees; 99-52, .656, 8.5 g ahead (WS W 4-2 over Dodgers)---BB Reference

Casey Stengel (10th fr. L); Whitey Ford (10th fr. R); Mickey Mantle (9th fr. R); Yogi Berra (5th fr. R)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Nice '53 Yankees panoramic E.Banks#14!
                        How about a year the Yankees DIDN'T win the pennant...it's gotta be the:

1948 New York Yankees; 94-60, .610, 3rd place, 2.5 g behind---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: Bob Porterfield (P), Red Embree (P), Emil Moscowitz, Frank Hiller (P), Johnny Lindell (LF), Joe Page (P), Joe DiMaggio (CF), Ralph Houk (C), Phil Rizzuto (SS).

Middle Row, L-R: Gus Mauch (trainer), Charlie 'King Kong' Keller (LF), Tom Byrne (P), Sherm Lollar (C), Cliff Mapes (OF), Tommy Henrich (RF/1B), Steve Souchock (1B), Bobby Brown (IF), Hank Bauer (OF), Gus Niarhos (C), George 'Snuffy' Stirnweiss (2B).

Bottom Row, L-R: George McQuinn (1B), Allie Reynolds (P), Ed Lopat (P), Frank Crosetti (IF), Johnny 'Dutch' Schulte (coach), Bucky Harris (Mgr.), Charlie Dressen (coach), John Corridan (coach), Yogi Berra (C), Frank Shea (P), Billy Johnson (3B), Vic Raschi (P).

Harry Jacobs (batboy), Ralph Carrieri (bat boy)
                        Last edited by BSmile; 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• So...who beat the '48 Yankees in the AL? Of course, it was the:

1948 Cleveland Indians Team

1948 Cleveland Indians; 97-58, .626, 1 g ahead, (WS W 4-2 over Braves)---BB Ref---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL).

Top L-R: Wally Judnich (OF), Les Webber (P), Hal Peck?, , Larry Doby (RF), Eddie Robinson?, Dale Mitchell (LF), Bob Kennedy(OF), Jim Hegan (C), Ray Boone (IF), Joe Tipton (C), Thurman Tucker (CF).

Middle L-R: unidentified (Traveling Secretary), Sam Zoldak (P), Ed Klieman (P), Steve Gromek (P), Russ Christopher (P), Gene Beardon (P), Bob Lemon (P), Satchel Page (P), Bob Feller (P), Bob Muncrief (P), Wally Bock (Trainer).

Front, L-R: Allie Clark?, Ken Keltner (3B), Al Rosen (3B), Mel Harder (Coach), Lou Bodreau (Mgr./SS), Bill Veeck (Owner), Muddy Ruel (Coach), Bill McKechnie (Coach), Joe Gordon (2B), Johnny Berardino (IF).
                          Batboy in front.
                          Last edited by BSmile; 09-05-2013, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• Yankee pics

Thanks for the awesome Yankees pics! I love that 53 pan!!! - babefan

Comment

• 1938 New York Giants Team

Sportin' those cool World's Fair sleeve patches....it's the:

1938 New York Giants; 83-67, .553, 3rd place, 5 g behind---BB Reference

Top Row, L-R: Hank Leiber (CF), Harry Krause (C), Oscar Georgy (P), Harry Gumbert (P), Carl Hubbell (P), Cliff Melton (P), Clydell Castleman (P), Harry Danning (C), Sam Leslie (1B), Blondy Ryan (IF), Walter Brown (P), Dick Coffman (P).

Middle Row, L-R: Bill Lohrman (P), Jack McCarthy (1B), Jim Ripple (CF), Frank Snyder (coach), Bill Terry (1B/Mgr.), Tom Clarke (coach), Gus Mancuso(C), Hal Schumacher (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Joe Moore (LF), Alex Kampouris (2B), Mel Ott (3B), Tom Troy (bat boy), Bob Seeds (OF), Lou Chiozza (IF), Dick Bartell (SS), William Schaeffer (trainer).
                              Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• From the Sunday Edition of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, it's the:

1930 St. Louis Cardinals; 92-62, .597, 2 g ahead, (WS L 4-2 to A's)---BB Reference
                                Last edited by BSmile; 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X