X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1926 Milwaukee Brewers Team
    1926 Brewers Team Stats
    Here's a new edit, the original of which comes from the excellent blog/online museum: "Welcome to Borchert Field, the only online museum dedicated to the Milwaukee Brewers of the American Association, 1902-1952, their ballpark, and all the events it hosted."
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• 1905 Milwaukee Brewers Team
      1905 Brewers Team Stats
      Here's another great Brewers team pic from the Borchert Field site, the original is here: 1905 Team Photo (orig.source: Milwaukee Public Library)

Comment

• 1936 Milwaukee Brewers Team
        1936 Brewers Team Stats
        Here's the '36 Brewers, in color no less! I did quite a bit of editing on this one, including the removal of a nasty crease right down the middle. The original comes from The Milwaukee Journal (6/28/1936) and Borchert Field, where you can check out a story about the team as well as the ID's of all the players.

1936 Milwaukee Brewers; 1st Place (out of 8 teams)---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Doc Buckner (trainer), Allan Johnson (P), Ted Gullic (OF), Rudy York (1B), Herman 'Hi' Bell (P), Lin Storti (3B), Rudy Shaffer (Assistant secretary).

Second Row, L-R: Jack Kloza (OF), Clyde Hatter (P), Luke Hamlin (P), Garland Braxton (P), Red Smith (coach), Forrest Pressnell (P).

Third Row, L-R: George Detore (C), Chet Laabs (IF), Henry Beadinger (President), Al Sothoron (Mgr.), Lou Nahim (secretary), Chet Morgan (RF), Salvadore Hernandez (UT).

Bottom Row, L-R: Eddie Hope (2B), Bill Brenzel (C), Bernard 'Frenchy' Uhalt (CF), Joe Heving (P), Chet Wiburn (SS).
        Last edited by BSmile; 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Wow! Color!!! And 1936! This is one of the earliest examples of color in baseball we have. And a perfect picture to steal for my other thread, on color in baseball! Thanks, BSmile!

When Did Color Photography Come to Baseball

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
            Wow! Color!!! And 1936! This is one of the earliest examples of color in baseball we have. And a perfect picture to steal for my other thread, on color in baseball! Thanks, BSmile!

When Did Color Photography Come to Baseball
            Yeah, it's a great photo for sure. I'd been meaning to edit it for the longest time.
            Btw Bill, the '36 Brewers finished the season in first place. To quote from Borchert Field:

"The 1936 Brewers would finish the season 90-64, 5 games ahead of second-place St. Paul. It was the Brews' first pennant since 1914, and third overall."

Comment

• Strange. I was going by the link you provided. It gave them lower than first place, for some reason. I give up.

Comment

Strange. I was going by the link you provided. It gave them lower than first place, for some reason. I give up.
                The "standings" for the 1936 American Association in Baseball Reference are just an alphabetical list of the teams, without won-lost records. That may have been the source of the confusion.

Comment

• OK, RU. I see what you're saying. Dumb me. Please be patient with me. The meds sometimes wear off!

Comment

OK, RU. I see what you're saying. Dumb me. Please be patient with me. The meds sometimes wear off!
                    It's alright Bill. It happens to the best of us...even Ty Cobb made 271 errors in his career!

Comment

• And I'm no Ty Cobb.

Comment

• 1935 Milwaukee Brewers Team
                        1935 Brewers Team Stats
                        Here's another gem from the Borchert Field files...

Comment

• 1943 Louisville Colonels Team
                          1943 Colonels Team Stats
                          Radio Appreciation Night - August 13, 1943

1943 Louisville Colonels; 70-81, .464, 5th Place (out of 8 teams), 20 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Earl Toolson (P), Chester Morgan (OF), Earle Brown (1B), Joe Bowman (P), Jim Wilson (P), Babe Barna (OF), Tom McBride (OF), Norman Brown (P), Jack Albright (SS), Steve Barath (3B).

Middle Row, L-R: Henry Corrigio (SS), Charles Schupp (P), Vic Johnson (P), Darwin Cobb (P), Dr. Frank Bidack (trainer), Bill Burwell (Mgr.), Sam Lamitina (UT), Walter Millies (C), Eddie Popowski (2B), Lou Lucier (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Ford Garrison (OF), Mel Deutsch (P), David Meyer (ball boy), Lefty Pilkington (club house boy), Woody Dudley (bat boy), Frank Powers (Assistant club house boy), Danny Doyle (C), Stan Benjamin (3B).
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• 1947 New York Giants Team
                            1947 Giants Team Stats
                            The 1947 Giants didn't win the pennant, but they were renowned for something else: home runs. Led by Johnny Mize's league-leading 51 HR's, the '47 squad managed to crack 221 HR's, shattering the old MLB mark of 182 set by the 1936 Yankees.

1947 New York Giants; 81-73, .526, 4th Place, 13 g behind,---BB-Reference---Player identifications provided courtesy of Gary Livacari (GaryL) and Dto7.

Top Row, L-R: Mort Cooper (P), Mike Budnick? (P), Fuzz White (OF) or Gary Gearhart (OF), Ken Trinkle (P), Bobby Thomson (OF), Sheldon Jones? (P), Buddy Kerr (SS), Johnny Mize (1B).

Second Row, L-R: William Schaeffer (Trainer), Ernie Lombardi (C), Bobby Rhawn? (IF), Larry Jansen (P), Whitey Lockman (1B), Dave Koslo (P), Joe Beggs (P), Ray Poat (P), Walker Cooper (C).

Third Row: Willard Marshall (OF), Mikey Witek (2B), Red Kress (Coach), Mel Ott (Mgr.), Travis Jackson (Coach), Hank Gowdy (Coach), Sid Gordon (OF), Hooks Iott? (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Jack Lohrke (3B), Andy Hansen (P), Joe Lafata (OF), Batboy, Bill Rigney (2B), Monty Kennedy (P).
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• 1950 Sacramento Solons Team
                              1950 Solons Team Stats
                              Here's another team from the good old days of the PCL (Pacific Coast League) and their grueling 200 game schedules. The Solons, a Chicago White Sox affiliate, finished the season 81-119.

1950 Sacramento Solons; 81-119, .405, 8th Place (out of 8 teams), 37 g behind,---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Junior Thompson (coach), Harry Gumbert (P), Bill Evans (P), Herm Reich (1B/OF), Orval Grove (P), Bob Gillespie (P), Tom Rose (P), Glenn Lierman (P), Max Surkont (P).

Middle Row, L-R: Don Johnson (2B/SS), Ted Del Guercio (3B/OF), Steve Souchock (1B/2B/3B), Frank Dasso (P), Al White (OF), Jim Busby (3B/OF) Jim Tabor (3B).

Bottom Row, L-R: Ralph Hodgin (3B/OF), Len Ratto (SS), Ritchie Myers (2B/3B), Jim Steiner (C), Joe Marty (Mgr.), Bill Raimondi (coach), Jess Dobernic (P), Wayne Anderson (trainer).
                              At the bottom, L-R: Ron Runyan (batboy), Bon Seldon (batboy).
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                                1950 Sacramento Solons Team
                                1950 Solons Team Stats
                                Here's another team from the good old days of the PCL (Pacific Coast League) and their grueling 200 game schedules. The Solons, a Chicago White Sox affiliate, finished the season 81-119.
                                There's a story about Jim Tabor from his BoSox days that he had to be restrained from beating the hell out of Ted Williams for refusing to pursue fly balls because Ted was sulking about something.
                                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X