X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 Cleveland Indians Team Panoramic
    1918 Indians Team Stats
    Here’s a new panoramic of the 1918 Indians, who managed a 2nd place finish (73-54) in a season shortened by the increased American involvement in World War I. I hope everyone is having a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day!

It appears that 2 members pulled an old gag here. Coach Germany Schaefer ran around the camera and thus appeared at both ends of the photo. And pitcher Fritz Coumbe apparently couldn't resist following him in his run!

1918 Cleveland Indians; 73-54, .575, 2nd Place, 2.5 g behind,---BB-Reference

L-R: Otis Lambeth (P), Germany Schaefer (coach), Fritz Coumbe (P), Billy Wambsganss (2B), Guy Morton (P), Ed Miller (LF), Al Halt (3B), Bob Groom (P), Rip Williams (C), Marty Kavanagh (1B), Josh Billings (C), Stan Coveleskie (P), Johnny Enzmann (P), Joe Wood (LF), Terry Turner (3B), Steve O'Neil (C), Lee Folh (Mgr.), Ray Chapman (SS), Tris Speaker (CF), Jack Graney (LF), Braggo Roth (RF), Jim Bagby (P), Germany Schaefer (coach), Fritz Coumbe (P).
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-01-2013, 11:26 AM.
    Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

• 1950 Rochester Red Wings Team
      1950 Red Wings Team Stats
      Led by Mgr. Johnny Keane (front row, center), who would lead the 1964 Cardinals to a World Championship. He then famously (and inadvisably) left for the rapidly deteriorating New York Yankees in 1965 before being fired by them 20 games into the 1966 season.

1950 Rochester Red Wings; 92-59, .609, 1st Place (out of 8 teams), 7 g ahead,---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Eddie Yuhas (P), Lou Ortiz (2B), Tom Poholsky (P), Hal Rice (OF), Russ Derry (OF), Ed Mierkowicz (OF) (SS), Dick Cole (2B/SS).

Middle Row, L-R: Jack Faszholz (P), Don Richmond (3B), Steve Bilko (1B), Bill Reeder (P), Del Wilber (C), Joe Chuka (P), Mike Schultz (P), Kenny Wild (P), John Wittig (P).

Bottom Row, L-R: Charlie Marshall (C), Don Bollweg (1B), George Copland (P), Johnny Keane (Mgr.), Larry Ciaffone (OF), Eddie Nietopski (SS), Jack Collum (P).
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• 1948 Indianapolis Indians Team
        1948 Indians Team Stats
        This AAA Indians team was loaded with talent, even if they didn't exactly have any superstars (except maybe future HOF Mgr. Al Lopez). I really love that old scoreboard at Bush Stadium (aka Victory Field). You could actually pinpoint the exact day this picture was taken based on it. Anybody want to guess the date? (*note - it was August 24, 1948)

1948 Indianapolis Indians; 100-54, .649, 11 g ahead,---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Ed Bahr (P), Bob Malloy (P), Frank 'Red' Barrett (P), Frank Kalin (1B), Culley Rikard (OF), Jim Bagby (P), Paul Erickson (P), Jack Hallett (P), John Hutchings (P), Cal McLish (P), Al Lopez (Mgr.)

Middle Row, L-R: 'Hump' Pierce (trainer), Jack Cassini (2B), Tom Saffell (OF), Pete Castiglione (SS), Chet Johnson (P), Russ Peters (3B/SS), Les Fleming (1B), Don Gutteridge (2B/3B), Earl Turner (C).

Bottom Row, L-R: Tony Cuccinnello (coach), Ted Beard (OF), Roy Weatherly (OF), Robert Ganss (C), Jim 'Junior' Walsh (P), Spence Numley (batboy).
        Last edited by BSmile; 06-02-2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• It's amazing how easy it is to read the signatures of the Red Wings players. Penmanship is definitely a lost art.

I love all these pictures of the minor league teams. Where do you find them, BSmile? Great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by cmcgill View Post
            I love all these pictures of the minor league teams. Where do you find them, BSmile? Great job!
            Thanks cmcgill!
            I'm always on the lookout for team/panoramic pics...so you could say that I've found them every place imaginable.
            Cheers! ~B

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
              1948 Indianapolis Indians Team
              1948 Indians Team Stats
              This AAA Indians team was loaded with talent, even if they didn't exactly have any superstars (except maybe future HOF Mgr. Al Lopez). I really love that old scoreboard at Bush Stadium (aka Victory Field). You could actually pinpoint the exact day this picture was taken based on it. Anybody want to guess the date?
              Interesting that Tony Cuccinnello and Don Gutteridge became coaches for Al lopez when he was managing the White Sox.

Comment

• Originally posted by GaryL View Post
                Interesting that Tony Cuccinnello and Don Gutteridge became coaches for Al lopez when he was managing the White Sox.
                Yeah, seems like a common enough practice for managers who get to choose their own coaching staffs when they get to the big leagues.

Comment

• I won't live to see it, but one day, this thread will be famous, and all of our collective efforts to find, edit, polish these photos, identify the players and others, will be appreciated and valued.

If anyone ever has an ID that we missed, or can add something of significance, please feel free to join the team.

Comment

• This great photo showed up on my Facebook page from the New York Giants Preservation Society, asking for help in getting the year and who the players were. I realized right away it had to be either the 1936 or 1937 Giants National League pennant winning teams. After working on it, I'm pretty sure it '37 and I was able to get most of the names. Any Giants' fans who want to jump in...please do!

1937 New York Giants; 95-57, .625, 3 g ahead, (WS: L 4-1 to Yankees)---BB-Reference

Top Row, L-R: Harry Danning (C), Hal Schumacher (P), Jimmy Ripple (CF), Mel Ott (LF), Al Smith (P), Ed Majewski (C), Dick Bartell (SS), Lou Chiozza (3B).

Middle Row, L-R: Hank Leiber (OF), Tom Baker (P), Carl Hubbell (P), Cliff Melton (P), Dick Coffman (P), Harry Gumbert (P), Johnny McCarthy (1B), Wally Burger (OF), Blondy Ryan (SS).

Bottom Row, L-R: Burgess Whitehead (2B), Jo-Jo-Moore (RF), Frank "Pancho" Snyder (Coach), Bill Terry (Mgr.), Dolf Luque (Coach), Gus Mancuso (C), Sam Leslie (1B), Don Brennan (P), Doc Willie Schaeffer (trainer).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• GaryL,

I think I might have an original press tag for that picture somewhere...I'll dig around.

Comment

• 1937 New York Giants. Unidentified player next to Dick Coffman could be Harry Gumbert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
                          1937 New York Giants. Unidentified player next to Dick Coffman could be Harry Gumbert.
                          Found the tag...

Gumbert looks correct!

Comment

• ....and, Tom Baker next to Hank Leiber.

Comment

• Assuming nobody else moved for the picture (the mascot isn't present in the photo GaryL posted)...because the tag has Schumacher instead of Castleman.
                              And...Don Brennan instead of Schumacher.
                              So which is correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by BSmile View Post
                                Assuming nobody else moved for the picture (the mascot isn't present in the photo GaryL posted)...because the tag has Schumacher instead of Castleman.
                                And...Don Brennan instead of Schumacher.
                                So which is correct?
                                To me it looks like Schumacher and Brennan as the tag reads.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X